FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Heather Watts - Pg9 - Oasis Velvet Mini-Preview (more to come)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Heather Watts - Pg9 - Oasis Velvet Mini-Preview (more to come)
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 09:34 am   Permalink

Dreaming is too sweet for words
soft and sleepy
Just the gentle sound of water slapping the sides of the boat
and the flitting of the fireflys!

You've stepped out of the cocoon
and emerged a butterfly!
yet again!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 11:20 am   Permalink

I finally took the time to go through your whole thread and I am just awed by your work! You've made characters that exhibit the tiniest expressions but they say so much! Your style is playful, and I love the plumpness of the shapes and the monochromatic color palettes. And I also love the way the framing is unique to each piece and well thought out to complete the overall image. Really gorgeous lush pieces!

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 1:46 pm   Permalink

UPDATE: I've created a marketplace thread for the countdown. Enjoy!
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33158&forum=12&1&PHPSESSID=198a05991913d6a0b997eb64971d2ced

More thoughtful comments to fuel my inspiration! Mahalo guys!!! More later--I'm just whizzing by for a lightning fast post between photographing, scanning, lunching and painting... Here's a copy and paste from the tiki oasis thread http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?forum=17&topic=31706 where I just posted this! Enjoy!

There are now exactly thirty days left until the exotic wares of all us hardworking tiki vendors go up for sale! I've got a lot of painting left to do, so I thought a countdown would be a good way to keep me on track, and it just so happens I'm hoping to bring thirty paintings with me this year. Let's see... thirty days, thirty paintings... I think I have an idea.

Starting today my goal is to post photos of one painting per day that I will be bringing to Tiki Oasis. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull this off or not.. but no harm in trying! And you'll get to see a bunch of new work along the way. The good news is I have a lot of the pieces already done and ready to post. You should all see my living room right now... it looks like an art gallery exploded. I'm also going to include in the mix the few paintings I've already let people preview, so you may see some familiar faces along the way if you've been to my website lately.

I'll be posting these to flickr here. There are some detail pics on flickr that I haven't posted here as well if you want a closer look.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/heatherwattsarts/sets/72157621432327127/

They will also be on myspace & my new facebook fanpage--I don't have these links ready to go yet but will post them soon to this thread for anyone that wants to follow my progress!

I think I will create a new thread for this on TC too where I will post every day, since I don't want to overdo it on this thread, I'm just not sure weather to post the countdown pics in the events section, marketplace or other crafts? Any suggestions?

Mahalo! And enjoy

Today's piece to kick everything off is the aptly titled...

"New Beginnings"
8" x 10" Acrylic on Black Velvet
Frame hand-carved by Patrick Robinson

Only 30 Days to Go!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-07-16 13:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-07-16 13:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: travellin' Tiki 2009-07-18 00:23 ]

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 5:22 pm   Permalink

Love those velvets Heather.

Did you say 30 days? Yikes I'd better get my ass in gear.

Good luck with the painting a day.

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 7:47 pm   Permalink

Heather, your designs are awesome.
I love your work soooooo much.
Each tiki head/mask/skull is soooooooo beautiful and unique.
And the rendering is equally gorgous. Everything has this lovely glowing light.
You're good.
"Kooky Pants" good.
Er... wait, that's LLT.

Your good "Canadian Pants" good!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-16 7:59 pm   Permalink

Good luck on your journey to 30 paintings!!

I know it's been said before, But..
Your art definately raises the bar for everyone!!

It will be really exciting seeing all your new pieces come to life!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 11:49 pm   Permalink

Hey - 30 days 30 paintings, cool.

I've been giving myself a limited amount of time on some of my new stuff. Seemed to stop me over working them.

If you have time post some pics for us poor souls that can't make oasis.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 12:25 am   Permalink

I am so excited to be getting one of these paintings this year!

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 07:29 am   Permalink

Hi Heather -

I didn't purchase a painting last year but it was cool to meet you and hang out for a while.

This year I'm going to rectify the situation and purchase a beautiful painting from you. There is a certain anxiety in the back of my mind, you know, what if you sell out before I arrive...kinda like a dream where a monster chases you but you can't run because of marshmallow ground. I'll have to be totally spontaneous and not pick a painting out in advance for fear of not being able to buy it, I'll just have to make a lightning decision Saturday morning..that's what makes it fun and unpredictable..a microcosm of Tiki Oasis itself.

See you next month. Positive energy your way from Sylmar in your efforts of one-a-day. I can't even imagine that goal and I paint too

Cheers! Greg

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diva Love

Posted: 2009-07-18 04:10 am   Permalink

Aloha Heather,
I am so bummed I cant make it to the u.s tiki oasis this year- i would have loved to see your paintings up close.
I think I'm going to dedicate a bag for you, would you mind me re-creating something in bag form ? I do love velvet too and i love to applique layers of colours !
If thats ok, I will show you what i come up with.
Smiles from down under..tiki diva love.

View Profile of Tiki Diva Love Send a personal message to Tiki Diva Love      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 4:07 pm   Permalink

What a slew of new work.

And such a high level of design!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-04 1:26 pm   Permalink

Hi Heather,
It was great seeing you again at Oasis.
I'm posting my commissioned piece.

Here is "Kiddle Island". My amazing boyfriend commissioned this piece for me for my Birthday last year.
It merges my two obsessions, vintage Liddle Kiddle dolls and Tiki, well maybe three obsessions if you throw in Heather's art.

Thanks for doing such a great job on this. It is my most prized possession.

hugs,
Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 8:49 pm   Permalink

Hi again everyone!

First thanks so much to everyone for all the wonderful comments and sorry for not replying individually yet!!!! Thanks also to everyone who came by to show their support at Oasis IX! I can’t believe a month has already passed since then… I guess that means there are only eleven more left to go on the countdown to next year (I better get painting!)

Special thanks to LiddleLola for posting the Kiddle piece! I've been meaning to post that for ages, but between the disorganization of my hard drive and my infrequent stops in to Tiki Central I still haven't gotten to it! The frame on that one is carved by my friend Patrick Robinson, and I love how it captures the old vintage velvet frame style but with a sort of mid-century simplicity. Perfect!

Anyway, I just dropped by to post a few quick pics here of a piece you might recognize from Kavakon's newest album
"Tiki for the Atomic Age". I'm totally stoked because I just got it framed today in a beautiful custom wood & bamboo piece by TabooDan (of Taboo Tiki). Mahalo Dan!

Enjoy!

"Tiki for the Atomic Age"
by Heather Watts, 2008
12" x 12" Acrylic on Panel

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-09-14 20:50 ]

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 11:07 pm   Permalink

wow Heather this is my first time seeing this piece. its fsntastic. I see a sugestiveness in the brush strokes. niiiice.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 07:49 am   Permalink

Beautiful!
A perfect storm of beauty and humor
Polypop and Atomic Age!
Thanks for the close-ups!
One of my favorite thing to do at a museum or gallery is
to get reeeeeal close and see the layering and process of the artist!
Thanks for being so talented
and such a sweet kid!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation