FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Show off your Rattan!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Show off your Rattan!
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 3:53 pm   Permalink

wow, did you sew those tikis on the fabric, or did you find the fabric with them on it? we desprately need to recover ours.....looks great

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
albino tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-26 5:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks, hala bullhiki. We had the seat cushions professionally made because they needed new foam and my sewing skills aren't that great, but I did make the throw pillows. I used ultrasuede to make the tiki "appliques" so they wouldn't fray and then sewed them onto the fabric.

Here's a better shot of the tangaroa pillow

The white one on the other side of the sofa is the "albino tiki" ku after whom our home bar is named. Unfortunately, he isn't very photogenic.

View Profile of albino tiki Send a personal message to albino tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Numatiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-27 12:26 pm   Permalink

We also had the cushions made with reversible solid sides, so that we can change up the look of the sofa from time to time, as such:

Even though they photograph brown, the solids are actually quite black. Here's a better look:

[ This Message was edited by: Numatiki 2008-06-27 13:01 ]

View Profile of Numatiki Send a personal message to Numatiki  Email Numatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 8:19 pm   Permalink

Wow, you did a fantastic job on refinishing those, that had to be a big job! The cushions look fantastic as well. Nice work!

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 8:27 pm   Permalink

found this one at a thrift store a few weeks back. still needs to be cleaned-up & polished a bit, but the cushion is intact & in good shape:

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 11:29 pm   Permalink

I have had this for about six years or so.I have not come across another one like
it in the twelve years I have been collecting and selling .1950's blonde rattan
three band- three quarter pretzel with three position notch back chase lounge chair.
I guess you could call it a 333 chase lounge.The floral bark cloth on the centipede
cushion would not have been my number one choice, but it looked recently redone and
was in perfect condition so I left it alone.BTW its currently on the market.

The coffee table is a round Frankl style with real mahogany top w/the rattan banding
detail around the edge of the table top.Most square and round Frankl style coffee table
that I have seen or owned or sold -you would not find the rattan detail on the edge.

Super rare round Paul Frankl style coffee table w/ mahogany top and rattan
banding detail on the tables top outer edge

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2009-01-23 16:16 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 2:42 pm   Permalink

my rattan booth at the vintage dept store

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
irishf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-18 08:47 am   Permalink

I saw Bamboo Ben's post about the difference between rattan and bamboo. Wikipedia bore him out. On the other hand, I also have a book (it's author could be wrong, I'm sure) about working with rattan, which shows thick rattan.

So who knows what I have here. But I do know it's not hollow. The canes are solid.

Found this yesterday in a moment of TIKI CONVERGENCE when hubby and I walked into our favorite resale shop here in Athens and there was Basement Kahuna restocking his inventory. Our first meeting.

The gregarious and fantastic proprietor of the shop, a woman, guided us over to a photocopied sign of the "rattan" set, which I had been pointing out to hubby for many months, and him always rejecting it. But this time he looked (she is really cute! HAH!). As we were standing there, the owner of the set called to say he was bringing it over to finally display in the shop.

We wound up getting it. Basement Kahuna advised us to keep the upholstery. Hubby loves it too. (sob...I do so want some floral barkcloth).

We paid $225.

This is a 5 pc set, the sofa can be separated to be chairs.

View Profile of irishf Send a personal message to irishf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mimi808
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-18 11:46 am   Permalink

I agree! Floral barkcloth would definitely make it pop!! Besides, I'm not fond of sitting & lounging on some unknown person's upholstery!! Make it yours!

View Profile of mimi808 Send a personal message to mimi808      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
irishf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-18 2:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the vote for floral, Mimi!

View Profile of irishf Send a personal message to irishf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 6:41 pm   Permalink

This is 1960's rattan.Since men are not big on flowers and women are you can
compromise and go with a nice geometric or a banana leaf looks nice.Always nice
to find original vintage bark cloth if possible.Here are several examples of
original bark cloth patterns .Looks best when you do solid side panels and
then the welting is a color pulled out of the print.Note ; none of these are
flower patterns.PM if you have questions or need help.
Aloha,
Trader Bill

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 08:38 am   Permalink

Here are some pix of the LowBrow Lanai..our covered patio area in the backyard. All of it is thrift store finds. We lucked out and found the entire Frankl pretzel arm set, table and chairs, and the bar for super cheap. Got the Heywood Wakefield Ashcraft barstools off of Craigslist, they didn't know what he had. I only wish we could use it more than 4 months out of the year!

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mimi808
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-22 12:19 pm   Permalink

I totally agree with the leafy look, but definitely something nice and tropical that everyone could live with. There are some beautiful colors and patterns that aren't too feminine, yet look tropical and breezy!! I saw some recently at Joann
Fabrics that were soooo beautiful. Good luck!!

View Profile of mimi808 Send a personal message to mimi808      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 3:02 pm   Permalink

Sputnikmoss, that's a beautiful patio area! Where did you get the little triangular tables next to the butterfly chairs? I'd love to have those to go next to our butterflies as well. Also out of curiosity, what do you do with everything when the winter weather hits? Do you move it inside, or cover it, or leave it to brave the elements?

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 6:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-22 15:02, TikiTres wrote:
Sputnikmoss, that's a beautiful patio area! Where did you get the little triangular tables next to the butterfly chairs? I'd love to have those to go next to our butterflies as well. Also out of curiosity, what do you do with everything when the winter weather hits? Do you move it inside, or cover it, or leave it to brave the elements?

Thanks! We found the triangle tables at a garage sale. They fold up and lie flat and have a hook for hanging on the wall. I saw some more on Ebay a while ago. They are pink, green, blue, and yellow formica on a thin veneer. When the rain hits we take all the pads off and put them in the shed. They are naugahyde so nothing really hurts them. We stack the rattan frames close to the house and they don't get wet. We take down all the pictures and store them too. So far we have had really good luck..I just hate having to put it all away in September.

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation