FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Show off your Rattan!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Show off your Rattan!
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 6:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find some of those tables! Yeah, that sounds like a drag to put everything away, but hey it gives you something to look forward to in the spring

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 7:38 pm   Permalink

Congrads on the great scores Sputnik.You have made your out door living-like indoors .
Very Very coooooool.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 10:37 pm   Permalink

Found these at a Goodwill store today. They were $9.99 each. There are no cushions & a few scratches & the banding is coming off one leg on one chair. Anyone know how to, or where to have these refinished. Also any info on the style or the age. There are no tags or labels anywhere on them.

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lennieguys
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-30 07:52 am   Permalink

You might want to try Frank's Cane and Rush. I'm not sure of the town, but it's inland from Huntington Beach. ( I think) ? I've gotten some rattan repair items once about 10 yrs ago. They also have an webpage. Hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: lennieguys 2008-07-30 07:53 ]

View Profile of lennieguys Send a personal message to lennieguys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-26 12:24 pm   Permalink

I finally found a couple of rattan chairs for my office. Now I gotta find some cushions... or at least some fabric.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-25 10:32 pm   Permalink

Just got this set of 3 chairs and 2 tables from an auction...however, the photo only shows 2 of the chairs 'cause I'm too lazy to set up a photo of the whole set...

...Anyway, you get the idea. But check out that fabric!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-25 10:54 pm   Permalink

I have alot of rattan, anybody interested in trading for something interesting? OLd diving helmet or...?

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-26 06:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-18 08:47, irishf wrote:
I saw Bamboo Ben's post about the difference between rattan and bamboo. Wikipedia bore him out. On the other hand, I also have a book (it's author could be wrong, I'm sure) about working with rattan, which shows thick rattan.

So who knows what I have here. But I do know it's not hollow. The canes are solid.

Found this yesterday in a moment of TIKI CONVERGENCE when hubby and I walked into our favorite resale shop here in Athens and there was Basement Kahuna restocking his inventory. Our first meeting.

The gregarious and fantastic proprietor of the shop, a woman, guided us over to a photocopied sign of the "rattan" set, which I had been pointing out to hubby for many months, and him always rejecting it. But this time he looked (she is really cute! HAH!). As we were standing there, the owner of the set called to say he was bringing it over to finally display in the shop.

We wound up getting it. Basement Kahuna advised us to keep the upholstery. Hubby loves it too. (sob...I do so want some floral barkcloth).

We paid $225.

This is a 5 pc set, the sofa can be separated to be chairs.

IrishFWhat you have there is pseudo rattan manufacured during WWII when Japanese cut off the rattan supply to the West.

It is most likely Ashcraft brand and made of ASH or possibly hickory. This is why there are hardly any curved pieces. To get the curved pieces they would steam the wood until it was pliable.

Nice set!

S
T

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 8:07 pm   Permalink

" Weldwood " Rattan???

Anyone know any info of this co./ stuff ?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-17 8:37 pm   Permalink

We bought this Frankl set a few years ago at an antique mall. We were working on putting together the room, went to OA to get matting, etc, the weekend before (drove from Sacramento) and found this set as we walked into the mall that was next door to OSH where we just went to get bamboo to trim out our wall and ceiling work.

we were quite surprised and both knew we had to buy it, although it was way out of our budget... sometimes you just have to do it!

We love it!!! We spend many evenings listening to tiki music with some fine cocktails, or read the paper on weekend mornings with our coffee, the only thing that could make it better is if we actually lived in Hawaii.

The set is vintage, however, it was all re-covered and not all of the peices match, some are 4 strand and others are 6. It's really sturdy too.

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-18 06:18 am   Permalink

What a great set! I'm jealous. All I have is a bunch of mismatched stuff. Great find!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-20 11:21 pm   Permalink

Tiki mookie -the prior owners of your rattan set had good taste and had
the cushions covered in Chris Stone bark cloth in a banana leaf pattern
design which is discontinued and no longer available .Here is a set I am
about to redo the bark cloth with the exact original material I recently
found .I have always liked the vintage bark cloth designs, they just seem
to pop and give the furniture that nostalgic look.

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2009-01-21 13:02 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-22 5:42 pm   Permalink

Bar & sofa inherited from my grandparents. They originally bought the set (used to have end tables and coffee table that have since fallen apart) in Cuba in the pre-Castro days when my grandfather was a commander at the naval base. After being passed around to many family members, the bar and sofa made its way to me. My husband and I have been adding to the collection. And the bar is what started us on collecting tiki mugs in the first place.

View Profile of Pyro Send a personal message to Pyro  Email Pyro Goto the website of Pyro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 6:15 pm   Permalink

Great story Pyro. My mom used to live in Miami and said that Cuba was one of the most beautiful places she'd ever visited.
What is the top of the bar made of? The patina on all of the pieces looks fantastic.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-22 6:21 pm   Permalink

Actually, I have no idea what type of wood the top of the bar is made of. I'm hoping to get it refinished at some point, so hopefully I can find out.

View Profile of Pyro Send a personal message to Pyro  Email Pyro Goto the website of Pyro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation