FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving HodadHank's tikijunk: Colab w/ Wild Bill progress pics
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
HodadHank's tikijunk: Colab w/ Wild Bill progress pics
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 4:40 pm   Permalink

Looking good for what i can see

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-03 09:38 am   Permalink

Thanks Seek! Maybe these will help.

After carving Mod-Tangs of various sizes for the past couple years, I was looking at some old pics of the 1970 Progress & Harmony for Mankind expo in Osaka when the vivid colors reminded me of an old childhood friend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryUOZKV9nzI

Originally dubbed for USA in 1966, not only did Ultraman save Tokyo each week by beating the crap out of giant rubber monsters, he subtly ingrained the basic Tangaroa facial features in the brains of thousands of American kiddies.

For a closer look come to the Light Gallery in Costa Mesa July 19th.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28746&forum=17&start=75&77

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2008-07-05 02:02 ]

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-03 10:26 am   Permalink

I have an Ultraman alarm clock that my brother got in Tokyo. The alarm shouts something in Japanese that I have no clue about. Apparently he is still very popular in Japan. I was a huge fan as a kid!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 12:40 am   Permalink

Hey! Remember when he fought Godzilla?

anyhooo... Been getting ready for the biggest Tiki Shindig in the West... Tiki Oasis 8 being held right here in San Diegy. Yep.

Been keeping busy with a group of what I'm now calling "Lost Sailors", these Micro-Tangs are carved from 100% AUTHENTIC SHIPWRECK TEAK!

It seems the light schooner Vaya was making a hasty retreat from particularly inclement winter seas when a rouge wave dragged her across the rocks at the Bay Channel entrance. Sinking fast, and with water pouring in below deck the captain set course dead-a-ground coming to rest in a six or more feet of chilly water in Mariners Cove. After stripping what electronic equipment could be saved he abandoned the remaining wooden hulk to the elements...

... and a mysterious midnight salvage crew.

Local legend tells that some nights the figure of a fat man with a pointy beard can still be heard yelling eerily from shore "don't bother swimming back without those pulley's Murf!"

My workspace is Freaky Boutiki's counter top! Visible below are a couple Lost Sailors, other assorted half finished Mini Tangs, an Italian briar blank, some tricked-out beads for PokoloLolita's boars tusk jewelry, a couple Maori style scribbled boxes, abalone, clam, scallop and a half dozen Bamp Mut marriage fetishes that I had absolutely nothing to do with.

Hey dig it! My first apprentice! Caitlin! (don't let her size fool ya. This skinny little minnie wields a monster jackhammer for the city by day!)

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-06 18:09 ]

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 11:32 am   Permalink

MY little brother Captain Dread Pirate Murf (aka OUR MAN IN THE PACIFIC) will be swinging down from a music gig up in France and Cisco to lend a hand at Oasis 8! Pictured with Artist Robert Tobinand some anonymous earthy beach bunnies on Oahu or maybe Maui(???)

Murf's wearing the only Mini Mod Ku I've ever carved, complete with MOP harmonica inlay and a detailed Monkey (Murf's dog who had to stay in SD) curled around the base.

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 8:25 pm   Permalink

My Maori box was making some progress... but since Benzart's Maori box is only like five million times cooler, I'm just gonna whip this ugly piece of crap off the porch into the lagoon.

Caitlin is a Godsend allowing me to take breaks from my medium Lost Sailor Tang to help customers or when my knuckles start to throb or to work on other nagging projects, like finally finishing up the never-ending Seaforth Marina Commemorative Tang visible on the handtruck.

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-06 18:10 ]

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 6:08 pm   Permalink

Finished up a medium Masked Tang w/ abalone and matching pendant.

and w/ Lost Sailor Tang in progress.

*** UPDATE ***

Medium Masked Tang w/ Abalone Offering Dish including Matching Mini-Tang Necklace.

$250

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-24 21:05 ]

Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 6:17 pm   Permalink

Very cool Tang. Your Maori box is looking awesome!

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 06:40 am   Permalink

"My Maori box was making some progress... but since Benzart's Maori box is only like five million times cooler, I'm just gonna whip this ugly piece of crap off the porch into the lagoon."

HANK,, Don't you Dare sweep this box away, it IS Really, Honestly WAY Cooler than Mine was, and has WAY Much more going on. You CAN"T Quit now, you got it by the short hairs!
So get back to work on it and post more pictures! Thanks

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 08:44 am   Permalink

Yup, that box is looking EXCELLENTE! Boxes seem to be the thing lately. Finish it! And post some sharper pics!
Abalone tang is way way cool.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 1:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys no need to talk me off the ledge! I was just kiddin'. Just have to put it on the back burner as I don't wanna rush it.

"During The Meanwhilest"(?) heres a tour of the wierd crap in my house. lol!

Sorry dark clutter fans, built like the bridge of an east bound wooden steamer this 1920's house digs the morning light! Not roomfulls of collectables compared to most of you guys & gals.

Generally unfit for guests, Our stovetop is currently covered with hemp in various pots of bubbling natural dye! MMMMMMmmahahahahhahaha!Oh well, gotta get back to my shells, wood, tusks, hemp and chicken bones... Must be Zombie Island time.

Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 2:01 pm   Permalink

Hank, is that Rick James, slowing down to watch the carving in front of your store? That's super-freaky, man!!

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 2:29 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Hank - there's always something fresh and inspiring happening in here. Borkum Riff eh? I used to hook that stuff from my old man and smoke big roll-your-own trumpets of it. Do they still make the awesome bourbon-flavoured one?
I love the "lifestyle" type pics too - contrary to the few whiners who moan about shots of random stuff/sunsets/tools/waves/progress, I think most (if not all) of us carvers like to see the environment that people create in, and all the stages involved with that creation. This place would be pretty boring if all we did was post pics of our finished work.
PS you gonna do any other styles in that shipwreck teak? Cause I already have a mini-mod Tang....

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 2:37 pm   Permalink

I was just wondering if you needed any help with that hemp? Wait, hemp is just fabric well if you had any kush I'd be right over. Just Kiddin Your carving skills are pretty freakin awesome and I'd come hang at your pad any ol day of the week.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 1:00 pm   Permalink

UUUUUGH! Flannel shirt and painter pants? That guy's prolly got loose joints or Zep tickets.

Yeah that's me in high school carving an elaborate laminated Scorpion platter nightmare w/arching butress legs which fell and shattered into a million pieces on presentation morning.
My teacher gave me an F. I should have carved a tiki.

My only Hawaiian Style Mini-Mod w/paua inlay harmonica and wrap around Monkey! Her tail creates a spiral below. My little brother Murf is Monkey's papa, raising her from a pup with ohana in our shop. Since moving to Oahu as a professional harp player, I figured he could wear her around his neck till the lenghthy mainland quanantine runs its course. Dig the Hemp oil Spermy!

More life on the beach, SoCal-Style for Paipz!
Tiki bought w/my parents in Hawaii as a child and a Gauguin print that hung in my grandparent's Passaic, NJ rattan & plant filled porch... aquired w/greenstamps I believe!

Painted this tapa lampshade years ago using acrylic... the piece of lava on the left is all that remains other than fond memories of the Islands vast clamshell waterfall (rescued post-demolition).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation