FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Follynesia - Postponed Sept 14-20th 2009
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Follynesia - Postponed Sept 14-20th 2009
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 07:50 am   Permalink

That's right, the carving class is moving from the mountains of East Tennessee, to the beachs of South Carolina! We will chop and chisel on the oceanfront in Folly Beach, SC, a great little surf city. It's also a short drive from Charleston.

This is in planning, but we're looking at a long weekend thing. A large beach house for attendees to carve and crash. We're working with the Haole Kats to come play on the beach. All sorts of things in the works. A sort of tiki carving session mixed with a beach party tiki and surf style.

Oh, and Bosko is going to head it up!

Basement Kahuna will be there too.

Mark your calendars for September 14th to the 20th, 2009.

That's the weekend after Labor Day so the rates drop, but the ocean is still bath water warm! Bring your board for the best surfing on the East Coast!

I'll put a website up soon and start making some more solid details known. All are welcome, not just carvers. You can still sign up for news at the
Coon Tiki Site.

Our own TC carver Brad Howland is the local in charge of this and is responsible for bringing Coon Tiki to the beach. We'll have a nice Meet and Greet at his Junglero Lounge one night and you'll all begin calculating in your head how you can manage to quit your job and take up residence in Folly... He's a surfer along with his graphic design and tiki bar building skills and can answer your questions about the local surf report.

Tiki Calendar for 2008

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2008-04-15 12:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2008-05-12 09:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2008-06-26 07:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2008-07-29 17:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2008-07-31 08:42 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-18 4:22 pm   Permalink

*drooooool*

sounds like a killer weekend... great lineup there swanky and howland - surfing, carving, drinking, talking tiki, home bars, live music - HEAVEN!!!!

its times like this I hate being on the wrong side of the world...

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 08:24 am   Permalink

this sounds pretty cool. I need to learn some carving skills. AND Sept 12 happens to be my birthday. It would be a great present for myself to be able to come. are girls allowed? I dont want to intrude on a boys club thing. lemme know Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 08:43 am   Permalink

Certainly girls are allowed! Ms. Swanky will be there as well as Brad's wifey of course. I have urged Ms. Swanky to carve, but I think she prefers pencils and brushes. Last Coon Tiki had some gal carvers.

There are a few details we need to nail down in order to figure out prices. The beach house will be pretty affordable though.

Folly is a favorite vacation place of ours. We were there last September and it was warm and sunny and the water was perfect. The town reminds me of what the Beach Boys were singing about way back when. You see guys riding to the beach on their bikes with a board under their arm. There is one hotel only there. They stopped that sort of developement in the 50s.

We have some surprises up our sleeves that we are working on. If they come through, it'll be an even more incredible time.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 7:05 pm   Permalink

OK, I've got some photos and specs of the Folly Beach chop house where the majority of the activities will take place, first and foremost the chop with Bosko.

Description from the rental website:
--------------------------------------------
7 Bedrooms - 4 Baths
Sundeck, screened porch
Large living/dining rooms
Fireplace
Dishwasher, washer/dryer
Cable TV, VCR
Sleeps 12: 1 king, 2 queens, 1 double, 5 twins, 1 bunk bed
---------------------------------------------

This house belongs to a good friend of mine and I've spent many days and nights there and can testify that it's capable of sleeping more than 12 people. This house is used for beach weddings alot and is set up to accommodate a decent amount of people. It has a very open floor plan--huge, tiled floor area downstairs with a long, rustic, wood dining table that can probably seat 20-30 people.

There's plenty of carving area in the back yard (beach side) and since It's elevated 8, 9 maybe 10 feet above the ground (and open to the backyard), there's plenty of chop space under the house if you've had to much sun or don't want any at all.

Swanky and I are tossing around ideas for carving tables, etc.

Pics:
front, from street

Back, from beach/boardwalk

view from back deck

Doesn't look very summery here now...because it's not
I've got some pics of the inside somewhere--post'em when I find'em

Dawn--to quote Rod Roddy of The Price Is Right..."Come on down!" I'll (or somebody) will make you a birthday cake!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 8:44 pm   Permalink

COOL!! Im gonna start saving up! Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 10:57 am   Permalink

I marked this on the calendar. Sounds like a lot of fun.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 11:19 am   Permalink

The core of the event will be 12-14th, but, you'll be able to come earlier and stay for a week if you want. That's time for relaxing and seeing Charleston and maybe get some fishin and crabbin in there or whatever.

We will sell space by the bedroom so if you plan to come as a couple and want that queen bed, you can reserve it for yourselves. If you are coming alone and who cares cuz you'll be on the beach or the deck or where ever and a twin is cool to crash on, you can do that and be there a little cheaper.

Think of it as a Tiki Ohana Reunion.

The carving will be less formal than Coon Tikis past. We encourage you to bring whatever you are working on and not a class project. If you want one, we'll get that for you too. This is the way you learn. You carve and the experts watch you and make suggestions and you ask "how do I do this?" and they show you right there.

I figure we can drag out that 20 gallon kettle and burner and do a big ol' Low Country Shrimp boil one night and make it easy to feed the whole crew.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 5:48 pm   Permalink

Design by Howland

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2008-06-26 08:18 ]

cedrictheparrot

Posted: 2008-02-04 05:25 am   Permalink

Count me in and save me a spot. Last year was a blast!

View Profile of cedrictheparrot Send a personal message to cedrictheparrot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 04:03 am   Permalink

This is shaping up to be a great event.

Charleston is a great city but, alas, with not much Tiki.

Swanky was in town last month and the discussions of Follynesia with him and Brad was totally exciting.

BTW, Folly rhymes with holly and was named because of the dense foliage on the island. It is now know for its eclectic mix of residents and has a more laid back atmosphere that many of the "resort" islands here. It proudly bills itself as "The Edge of America."

It is a small community with a great main area for dining and shopping. This is just across the street from the hotel. No Gaps or big retailers, just quaint mom and pop shops. A friend of mine owns the 40+ year old surf shop. He is excited about the event coming too and will promote it thru his shop.

Charleston is about 8 miles from the beach. I live on James Island which is right next to Folly Island (we have tons of barrier islands on the SC coast).

I am looking forward to helping out with this event and welcome any questions regarding the area for those that might want an extra day or two.

Balmy regards,

Tiki Bob

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 1:10 pm   Permalink

This look to be a Fantastic time! I'm Sure Brad and Tim have gone ALl out to insure everyone will have a Tall does of Fun & Sun. I'll be thinking about you all so make sure and take Lots of pictures for those of us who won't be there.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 05:33 am   Permalink

Man oh man! That sounds like a great time. The crab boil alone has got me thinking about going.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 10:33 pm   Permalink

It's gonna get crunk. I can't wait!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-15 12:56 pm   Permalink

We are coming closer to being able to start taking reservations. This is a week long beach bash with the main events on the weekend of the 12th-14th. We will be taking reservations for a one week stay at the beach house. That's Monday September 8th to the 15th. We have 7 rooms: 2 Queens, 2 Kings, 1 Double and twin, one with two twins and one with bunk beds. These 7 rooms are at the event house on the ocean. It will be first come, first serve. If you are not on the mailing list, get on it to get the news first. Go here to get on it.

We are working on many cool things that will make this the place to be. Bosko will carve and tell us all the great stories of Tiki pre-BOT and pre-Tiki News, etc. Basement Kahuna will be there teaching as well. Meet n Greet at Howland's Junglero Lounge. Show and Tell with BK and others as we haul some of our collections over. I'll be DJing the tunes all weekend. Live bands. We are working on a deal to get the Haole Kats there. Maybe Pablus will show up (hint hint). More stuff. More stuff.

And the best part? A week on Folly Beach for dirt cheap with the ohana!

Mark your calendars and make plans and get ready to reserve your room when we make the anouncement! It'll be a great time whether you carve or not!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2008-06-29 09:10 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation