FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 04:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-20 15:53, Bora Boris wrote:

I think the picture of the dining room is actual size.

Seriously.

Seats 130 Boris.

D'oh!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-21 2:29 pm   Permalink

SPOILER!! DO NOT LOOK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE.

This is from
Eater LA today ~

Eater Preview: Luau

It doesn't open until later this week, but here's an inside look at Luau in Beverly Hills. As discussed earlier, isn't so much a replica of the original Luau, the once tikified favorite for celebs in the 60s, but more a contemporary ode to the original. The connections are subtle: There's a print of the original Luau salt-and-pepper shakers hanging on one wall; Makoto Tanaka's (Mako, Robata-Ya) menu has the requisite pupu platter, albeit one with Wagyu meatballs and firecracker shrimp; and designer Loree Rodkin worked with Ben "Bamboo Ben" Bassham, grandson of the original's designer and builder. But probably the most significant throw-back is tikiologist Jeff Berry's cocktail list: After talking with Luau's former bartenders, he "cracked the code" to the legendary rum-centric drinks like the Bo-Lo, Luau Coconut and Pearl Diver, some of which are served in fresh pineapple or coconut shells. There's a good chance this will be just as much a celeb magnet as the original because Andy Hewitt, owner of tabloid-favorite Il Sole, backs the operation (as do the Maloof brothers, but that's a whole other story.) Private tastings are taking place over the next few nights, and Luau opens to the public for dinner on Friday. (369 North Bedford Dr, 310.274.0090)

He looks like a cool little guy. Nice job Ray!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 3:38 pm   Permalink

From what I'm seeing in these photos, this looks like a very classy, updated version of tiki style to me. Not as tropical as some may like, but I don't think the kitch factor would work too well in Beverly Hills. The decor is sparse to some degree, but still looks warm and inviting.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 4:05 pm   Permalink

I just made reservations for Friday night. I'm scared about the prices though. Does anybody have a clue on what the entrees are going for?

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 6:04 pm   Permalink

Just so you average schmoes know the entrees rage from $28-$62 which isn't bad. The person who took my reservation was very nice and claimed they wanted to be somewhat of a family style joint as well. I have no clue what to expect other than some good drinks and a nice evening with the lady.

Hope to see some of you guys there!

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 10:11 pm   Permalink

looks and sounds good,
but it may have to be one of those once a year places for me.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mike Desert
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-21 10:46 pm   Permalink

When I was a kid (underage) I used to get a bluish drink with dry ice...anyone know what that could be? It was so long ago, perhaps the adults at my table got that and I was served something else, but I remember always loving those dry ice drinks.

View Profile of Mike Desert Send a personal message to Mike Desert  Goto the website of Mike Desert     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 05:34 am   Permalink

All i can say is....... LOO - WOW!!!!!!!

looks great!! very classy and i like that the entree's are on pricey side ....keeps the L.A. riff-raff and beer and shot crowd at bay.....

nice work......now come to chicago and build one you bastards!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 08:39 am   Permalink

if anyone bothered to notice....
Ben is a Class Act!
dare i say TOP SHELF!?

and a master translator!
i think your grandpa would be proud
This looks so beautiful

Revival in all the right places
(especially the drinks)

Contemporary where required

very cool!

Congrats y'all!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 08:40 am   Permalink

I cant wait for tonight to see the whole thing finished . Cindy and I are going to the private tasting party and we will try to get some pics . Thanks for the compliment Boris . Thats a real wide angle shot so its kinda hard to see the tiki in that pic . Its a reproduction of the original "Luau" saltshaker . Im not sure who will be attending but I hope that Paris Hilton doesnt yap my ear off all night .

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 08:50 am   Permalink

Here's the original....

Let's see yours Ray!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-22 09:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-22 08:40, TIKI-RAY wrote:
I cant wait for tonight to see the whole thing finished . Cindy and I are going to the private tasting party and we will try to get some pics . Thanks for the compliment Boris . Thats a real wide angle shot so its kinda hard to see the tiki in that pic . Its a reproduction of the original "Luau" saltshaker . Im not sure who will be attending but I hope that Paris Hilton doesnt yap my ear off all night .

...unless she's talking about commissioning you to do a tiki for her Mansion.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 09:17 am   Permalink

Sorry Ken , I was in a mad rush to get it down there in time while they were still working on the lighting inside . All I have is a bad , dark cell phone pic right now but we will try to get some better ones tonight . While I was carving it , Cindy kept concentrating on me making sure the butt on this little guy was perfect . She kept rubbing it and shaking her head till I got it just right . Since then she has won the Lotto for millions of dollars so she in convinced that all who go to see this tiki should rub his little bottom for good luck too . But dont blame me if you get a splinter from rubbing too hard .....hahaha

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kiniki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-22 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-22 09:17, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Sorry Ken , I was in a mad rush to get it down there in time while they were still working on the lighting inside . All I have is a bad , dark cell phone pic right now but we will try to get some better ones tonight . While I was carving it , Cindy kept concentrating on me making sure the butt on this little guy was perfect . She kept rubbing it and shaking her head till I got it just right . Since then she has won the Lotto for millions of dollars so she is convinced that all who go to see this tiki should rub his little bottom for good luck too . But dont blame me if you get a splinter from rubbing too hard .....hahaha

With all that rubbing, will there be complimentary tubes of tiki lube? Don't want the little guy to go up in flames! Besides, it will give his bottom a lustrous shine!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Kiniki 2008-10-22 09:38 ]

View Profile of Tiki Kiniki Send a personal message to Tiki Kiniki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 09:38 am   Permalink

COMPLIMENTARY ???????????????? No way !!!!!!!!! We are just two blocks from Rodeo Drive . $620.00 for each 1/2 oz. tube .

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation