FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 03:26 am   Permalink

Bongo Logic:

If high-dollar, high-style-with-a-touch-of-tiki places start opening up in high-dollar locations... This may lead to mid-dollar, mid-style-with-a-bunch-of-tiki "knock-offs" around the country.

Have heart because maybe the new wave of tiki bars is growing. Didn't the original wave occur just after tough economic times? Aren't people eager for some escape from reality?

This BH Luau is a very good sign!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 06:30 am   Permalink

just wanna say hi to all those folks directed to this site by the L.A. Times article on the luau.............."HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!.....

I can seeeeeeeeee yooooooooooouuuuuuu!!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 07:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-24 03:26, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Bongo Logic:

If high-dollar, high-style-with-a-touch-of-tiki places start opening up in high-dollar locations... This may lead to mid-dollar, mid-style-with-a-bunch-of-tiki "knock-offs" around the country.

Have heart because maybe the new wave of tiki bars is growing. Didn't the original wave occur just after tough economic times? Aren't people eager for some escape from reality?

This BH Luau is a very good sign!

Thats a very good point, take for example car manufacturers whenever a successful car is produced there is always a competing company that mimics that model, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. If you have a successful tiki bar that is on the somewhat high end side there will no doubtedly be a shift towards making that more obtainable for the average Kanaka. Supply and demand will be a driving force among these times more then ever, to create and submerge yourself into a world of temporary bliss and stiff drinks. This might be the Cadillac of tiki bars but a Volkswagen can still get me to that same desired destination. Cheers to the future!

Aloha Nui Loa

[ This Message was edited by: Mongoloid 2008-10-24 08:17 ]

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 09:49 am   Permalink

Here we go, now THIS is being talked about and already accepted as an example of the NEW form of Tiki style:

...even as the owner disavows the title "Tiki", but calls it "Polynesian panache". Polynesian in name, "The Luau", but where else? It is these mixed messages that the place is sending out that make me classify it as a MISSED OPPORTUNITY.

After years of reading articles about the new Tiki wave just being around the corner, I am kind of pragmatic about articles such as this. So pragmatic (and ambivalent about the Luau) in fact, that I wasn't mentioned in the article, probably because in my phone interview with the writer I expressed doubts that did not fit in with his agenda of high end Tiki (I am surprised he didn't mention the Mahiki as a prime example of that theory--while I believe it actually might have been one of the main impulses for the Luau's Beverly Hills set).

This is not to say that this is not a well-written and balanced article, I think the writer does an admirable job at describing the place accurately and objectively, noting its lack of actual Tikis, and giving the Tiki traditionalists and Tiki Central their voice without being condescending, kudos for that.

And after all, as they saying goes, there is no such thing as bad press (meaning anything that is printed about a subject is good as it creates more public awareness).

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 2:29 pm   Permalink

Here's some funny photos of celebs at this joint

http://www.celebritymound.com/?p=13836

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-24 9:37 pm   Permalink

Did Joe Walsh know it was the 2008 Luau or did he think it was the 1978 Luau?

“It's hard to leave when you can't find the door”

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 9:56 pm   Permalink

I have just returned from this joint. I was pleased that as soon as we sat down they offered us a free drink on their opening night woohoo!! Food was amazing! The drink menu only has a hand full of tiki drinks and the waitress said they'll have the rest next week or so. We had a pearl diver, luau coconut, mai tai, and the drink served in a pineapple (sorry but forgot the name). All very good and strong. Oh and Martin Denny was playing loud the whole time.

One think that I didn't care for was the hindu hand sculpture all over which is the logo.

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Joe 2008-10-24 22:15 ]

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-24 10:35 pm   Permalink

Prices ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 10:53 pm   Permalink

Prices aren't bad at all. Drinks are $12-$18. Food kinda varies...I had a delicious Halibut wrapped in banana leaf with coconut rice for $24 (servings are pretty big and they encourage people to share). Our bill came out to be $88.

There is a bar area with only a couple old dudes hanging out. My gal works close so I'll be hitting the bar up a lot once the drink menu really gets going.

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Joe 2008-10-24 23:03 ]

Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 11:27 pm   Permalink

What is the parking like and is there a dress code?

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 11:40 pm   Permalink

There's a parking garage with a $3.oo flat fee a block away and it's casual but no shorts. The have a kids tiki drink that is also served in a coconut or pineapple...would be nice for a family

twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-25 11:32 am   Permalink

how does David Spade do it.....

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-25 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-24 21:56, Coco Joe wrote:

One think that I didn't care for was the hindu hand sculpture all over which is the logo.

Hindu hand sculpture is the logo? Is there statues of Buddha in the bathroom?
Looks like a shipping container of PNG and Balinese, tourist kitsch vomited in this place.

I've got and idea how about we decorate the place with Hindu, Buddhist art/junk from Bali and throw in a tiki or 2 with some PNG stuff(it's cheap and abundant) and there you have it , we'll call it The Luau.... Laaaaaaaaaammmme!

The place is a big step above Vegas Vic's. The bamboo on the walls and the ambient lighting look right and if they stick to the drink recipes at least they have that going for them. That being said, I doubt I would make a special trip to see the place next time I'm in town.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-25 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-24 23:40, Coco Joe wrote:
There's a parking garage with a $3.oo flat fee a block away and it's casual but no shorts. The have a kids tiki drink that is also served in a coconut or pineapple...would be nice for a family

Thanks for the heads up Coco Joe...

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-25 3:13 pm   Permalink

Heres the link to the LA Times piece in Sundays Image section .
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/>http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation