FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 10:58 pm   Permalink

Nice Review, Pi Phi Rho.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-04 12:06 am   Permalink

Have any out-of-towners visited the new Luau restaurant?
If so do you have a reco for a cheap hotel nearby?

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CPRTiki

Posted: 2008-12-11 1:33 pm   Permalink

Hello All. I'm new to posting here but not new to Tiki. Wanted to share my firsthand experience at the new Luau Beverly Hills. Much has been made about the decor (which is nice) but not much has been said about eating here and it is first and foremost a restaurant...so here goes. First the summary: Food-very good. Service-excellent (contrary to some other reviews at other sites I read). Atmosphere-very good (it's definitely not kitschy tiki, it's high brow restaurant polynesian with some nice tiki accents). Cost-very high (if your drinking it's AT LEAST $100 per person so come prepared). So on to some details. I didn't take any photos, there is another review here by Phi Phi Rho with some great photos-check them out. My wife and I were celebrating her birthday so this was our excuse to spend way too much money on dinner & drinks. We started off with some drinks at the bar. I had the Mai Tai my wife had the Navy Grog. Both of them excellent. The Navy Grog a bit fruitier and sweeter than the Mai Tai but both with real nice, subtle flavors. Neither one was too sweet and the Mai Tai had some hints of ginger (i think) and mint and was as good as any I've had. We both had a few more and each was equally good and helped us reach a very nice Luau state of mind which was the whole point! On to the food...We started off with a nice Puupuu platter to sample the appetizers. All selections were quite tasty. The main course...I had the Halibut steamed in a banana leaf. My wife had the filet mignon (which I of course sampled). We also ordered a side of veggie fried rice and another side of bok choy. Plenty of food! The halibut was very nice with a fruity sauce on the side which added a lot to the fish. My wife's filet was really excellent with some interesting flat bread and rice on the side. Of the two dishes her's was the tastiest if a little heavier. The sides were also quite good. We skipped the dessert as we had had plenty of booze and food at this point. My general impression is, as I said before, very good-if overall not quite excellent. I'm going to have to reserve the excellent status for the time being, having been spoiled several times at the original Trader Vic's and several other Vic's across the country. Regarding the service...we dined on a Wednesday evening and this place was busy! Reservations are definitely recommended. The host was very helpful in getting us a booth which we really wanted and were willing to wait for. His attitude and attention to detail were top notch and when you're spending this kind of dough I feel it's imperative to get good service-which we did. The waitress was friendly and helpful but stayed nicely in the background except for when we needed her and frankly that's the kind of service I prefer. THE ATMOSPHERE...all right let's get down to brass tacks. It's cool, it's luxurious, it's Beverly Hills. It's not kitschy in the least which is something I really enjoy in Tiki but you won't find that here. It's got a very nice vibe, it's relaxing. There's some nice Moai lamps around the restaurant as well as some cool masks, some tapa paper with oceanic style patterns, and a lot of puffer fish-35 in the dining room alone. It's great. It did not blow me away but few places have. If you've ever been to the Dallas Trader Vic's-then in my opinion you've seen the best of high end, new style (kitsch free), polynesian decor. I was hoping for something up to that spec and the Luau isn't quite there, but that doesn't mean it's not a great place to go. The bottom line-if you've got the dough, you ought to go. Definitely take a trip up the stairway to the bathrooms (you'll probably have to anyway) there is a lot of split bamboo and it's maybe the most immersive tiki part of the restaurant. Two thumbs up! Hope you find this review useful.

View Profile of CPRTiki Send a personal message to CPRTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-11 8:47 pm   Permalink

yes thanks a lot,
very informative.
sounds good, and pricey,
but I figured that.
have to save up for my B-day next Oct.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 05:03 am   Permalink

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 05:06 am   Permalink

Oh my! Velour pants!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 6:15 pm   Permalink

That must be Corey Hart, cuz I don't know anyone else who wears sunglasses at night...

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-18 05:06, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Oh my! Velour pants!

actually its a Velour jacket and just dress pants.
funny Jen Looks smokin hot in jeans.
rule number 1 ladys.
keep it simple.
no need to dress up.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-12-19 3:14 pm   Permalink

bigtikidude wrote:
"rule number 1 ladys. keep it simple. no need to dress up."

I couldn't disagree with you more. Especially when dining at a nice restaurant. I guess I'm old fashioned.

Something I've noticed a lot at Forbidden Island is that many women (of all ages) get decked out to go there, but often the guys they are with are just in T-shirts and jeans. C'mon guys, show a little style!

I don't even know who is in that picture! And I supposed to?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 12:18 pm   Permalink

Thats Funny Jab, after I posted it, I thought I bet the Jab will chime in and disagree with me.
personal taste I guess.
the pic is Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez,
don't ask me why I know who they are.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 4:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-18 05:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

omg - she looks hot !
but this clown looks like a real douchebag
(www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com)

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-12-21 12:36 pm   Permalink

Haha Jeff, you know me well!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-04 10:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-18 05:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

Let's start a tradition, everyone from TC who goes to the Luau take your picture just like this shot and post them here!

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 2:28 pm   Permalink

So does Beverly Hill's have a Tiki Bar again or what? I hear the bar doesn't have bar stools?
WTF Steve? You really don't want the Tiki Now Agency paying a visit do you?
Get some bar stools and maybe then you can call your self a real Tiki Bar.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 08:29 am   Permalink

I can see bar stools on the pic.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation