FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 10:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-02 14:18, Bora Boris wrote:
My point was that in the bigger picture they'd probably not care that much as to fuss about it and if it made someone happy to drink out of a Buddha belly mug then they'd probably be glad that someone was happy.

I think in the big picture both Bhudda bars and Tiki bars offer a taste of the exotic and escapism; something different than a "Ruth Chris" steakhouse vibe and an opportunity for fusion cuisine.

It may just be that this is the era of the Bhudda bar, just as Tiki had its heyday (and is enjoying a resurgence now).

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-02 11:28 pm   Permalink

All that being said...I like Buddha. I love Japanese/Asian minimalism too.

I just wish that a restaurant named The LUAU would have some TIKI in it.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-06 12:06 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know if they are open yet ?

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-06 6:46 pm   Permalink

A little bird told me that it might open around mid October.

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-06 10:45 pm   Permalink

Tweet

Tweet.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-07 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-06 22:45, RevBambooBen wrote:
Tweet

Tweet.

Ben, you used "T" words. heh,heh,heh.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-09-21 9:54 pm   Permalink

It looks like it's just about ready to go. A certain Mr. BB (Big Bird) told me this will be open in October but I think it may take a while longer for Non-Showbiz Schmo's to get in. I'll start the schmoozing soon but I know it's gonna be pricey (I mean PRICEY PRICEY!) so I'll only schmooze people with expense accounts.

Beep Beep!

I hope they have swizzles!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 09:43 am   Permalink

It looks good from the outside, all it needs are some doorway guardian Tikis... But those, just like the real pronounced A-frame over the entrance that I saw in early sketches of the place would be too tacky, of course!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 11:05 am   Permalink

I feel like I need to organize a So. Cal posse to invade the restaurant shortly after opening to announce our love/alliance of tiki and attempt to influence the owners to "tiki-up"!

ie The "Luau" with no tiki? Like a Mai Tai with no Orgeat.

After all, this place is opening in MY backyard..

Any takers?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiG 2008-09-22 11:05 ]

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 6:05 pm   Permalink

OMG ! Let it happen . Just because no one checked with each tiki central member personally does not mean its not happening . Its been in the works for quite some time and the final product will be delivered tomorrow . I wasnt going to say anything and hope to suprise you but they are taking quite a bashing and no one has even seen that there isnt a tiki yet. Please call off the vigilante squad . Now go on with your lives and wait for the opening . By the way, Bamboo Ben has done one hell of a job in there .Or has he ? No one realy has seen the inside yet .

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 6:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-22 18:05, TIKI-RAY wrote:
OMG ! Let it happen . Just because no one checked with each tiki central member personally does not mean its not happening . Its been in the works for quite some time and the final product will be delivered tomorrow . I wasnt going to say anything and hope to suprise you but they are taking quite a bashing and no one has even seen that there isnt a tiki yet. Please call off the vigilante squad . Now go on with your lives and wait for the opening . By the way, Bamboo Ben has done one hell of a job in there .Or has he ? No one realy has seen the inside yet .

Well put Tiki Ray. With all this talk of Buddah I hope there is stained glass windows of the Virgin Mary while your at it.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-23 07:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-22 11:05, TikiG wrote:
I feel like I need to organize a So. Cal posse to invade the restaurant shortly after opening to announce our love/alliance of tiki and attempt to influence the owners to "tiki-up"!

I like your thoughts. However, the owners may or may not be hanging there when the possee shows up. It might be better to try and get the owner's info from B2, or some other manner.

Also, as the owners retained B2 for drink consulting, they may not be receptive to "your drinks suck" when they paid thousands of dollars for particular recipes.

None of this, however, means a try ought not be made. Be sure and post when the greeting party will arrive.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-23 08:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-02 20:18, floratina wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-09-02 17:23, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-09-02 10:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

I find alcohol to be very spiritual. But really I thought this thread was about the new Luau in Bev hills?

I liked his point, though.

This is getting far afield, but I recall a story about the former Speaker of the California Assembly who used two bottles of an excellent and rare vintage to help resolve a previously insurmountable political divide.

tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-23 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-22 18:05, TIKI-RAY wrote:

WHAT ??? Tiki WHO ?

OK, I'll shutup now.

(cue the Jeopardy theme)

I'm waiting......

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-24 05:36 am   Permalink

I just dropped off the tiki last night and I can't wait to dine there. The inside is just beautiful. I'm not allowed to post pics yet but I hope you all enjoy the detail, design,and effort to make a wonderful new dining location. Its tiki. Its swanky. Its cool !
Tiki-Ray is a carver in So. Cal. since 1985. All his work is freehanded and very Unique.Signed and finished to last. I have an oldschool tiki style that I get a lot of compliments on . Contact me at tikiray.com , myspace.com/tikiray1 or Facebook (Ray Kie

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation