FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 9:50 pm   Permalink

Quite a leap you've made there Blindy. Looking good.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-04 5:46 pm   Permalink

I made a new mold that was a little bit wider. I thought it would be cool if i could set a tiki torch inside of the mouth so it looked like it was breathing fire...
Well, I learned that putting a couple of 2x4's in the bottom of the mold for the space is not a good idea if you want to get them out.

You can see that it cracked in two. I figured that if the tiki was going to have fire, he should be the tiki god Kane, instead, all I've been calling him is bastard. I did get him back together, thankfully, but I still have a bit of work finishing him up where you can't see the crack.

(thats my assistant to the left, checking the placement of Kane)

But his mouth does look like it breaths fire, so I'm happy with it. The pic doesn't look as good as it does in person, as anyone who has tried to take pictures of fire before can tell you.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 1:22 pm   Permalink

My first commissioned tiki!! Well, a friend of mine gave me twenty bucks to make her a tiki for her front yard. But I cleared $7.00.

Here it is in the mold, freshly carved.

But what looks cool to me is the first couple of days that it comes out. It has great coloring. Unfortunately, these colors fade out after it drys a week or so.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 7:52 pm   Permalink

Love the 7.00 dollar thing.
Another starving artist story.

If you really like the wet or darker look experiment
with different stuff? Plaster, epoxy, ? mix with color
i don't know?

I like what you got going on.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-25 12:16 pm   Permalink

Well, it was a sad morning. On the way to work this morning, I drove past the tiki I put out in the park and it was gone. While I knew that it was inevitable, it still sucks. I had seen people checking it out while it was up, so that was cool. I just hope that someone took it to put in their yard rather than having the city throw it away.

It is kinda funny, though, that paintings I put up 2 years ago are still there.

Kinda embarrassed about how crappy the painting is after spending time on TC. I also knocked it out in about 15 minutes for what I thought was going to be a temporary piece of art. (for anyone who wants to know, it is a spray paint and cheapo paints from Michaels on 3/8 inch plywood )

Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-25 8:39 pm   Permalink

Ahh... that's to bad. But someone really liked it...now you can make another one...maybe a dozen to place here and there if they keep disappearing. I wouldn't let that stop you from placing more.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 5:06 pm   Permalink

That's to bad, but you knew i was going to happen like
you said, but do it again.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 6:35 pm   Permalink

The tiki must have been really good for lasting only a few days. The Painting, Not a good way to find out the perceived value. It canbe dishartening!
It's OK, the Cement tikis are Cool. There's a park down here by my house that needs one, you could try iy out there????

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 7:33 pm   Permalink

Blinky I want to make street tiki now

Did you know about this
guy?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 07:02 am   Permalink

Robin and Seeksurf-- I already have a spot I've been eyeing for the next one. Its in another park near a road I tend to drive everyday. There is also a grass median near (what passes for) the tiki bar here. The biggest problems I have is my friends keep wanting them, but there will be more going out.

Benzart-- If you ever make it to Tally, I'd be happy to give you one to put up. The more out there, the more people exposed to tiki, the better.

teaKEY-- I've come across his myspace page before, it is good stuff. We have an area here (an art enclave if you will) between the two universities that has a lot of graffiti-styled art. Most of the bars and shops have it as their signs.

Been talking to my artist friends, trying to start a tiki movement here. Hopefully, Tallahassee will be flooded with tikis soon.

My friend with one of his efforts. (don't know if the flash is too bright, or he didn't want his face posted online)

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 5:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks Blindy, I would Love one of your tikis as long as it stays where I put it . We'll be going to Alabama in a couple months and maybe we can swing through a different route and hook up with one. THANKS, HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-02 7:41 pm   Permalink

Ahh, the joys of owning a pickup truck. Had to move my friends this past weekend. But they have a nice backyard now, with a covered area on a slab. Thinking I'm going to have to convince them to convert it into a tiki bar. They already have one of my tiki guys back there. I had an extra patio table laying around, so I figured I'd let them have it. But, I gotta do something to it, right?

The border is the same blue now. It is painted on the underside so the glass can still be cleaned.
The bad part is the table in my yard is lame by comparison.

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 1:35 pm   Permalink

One of my friends came up with this design. Since Tallahassee is home to Florida State University, and we tailgate for football and baseball, we figured we needed a seminole tiki out there.

I figure as soon as it gets the garnet and gold paint, I'll post it to the That's just wrong! The un-Tiki thread:.

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 12:45 pm   Permalink

Bored on a rainy day.....

made from old shampoo bottles

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 10:12 am   Permalink

Decided to make a smaller tiki. It stands about 15 inches tall, sits up on its own and has a hole in the top for a candle. Made the first one quick and dirty for a tiki bar my friend just made. Can't have a tiki bar without a tiki.

Come next Friday, I'm going back to the Polynesian Resort in Walt Disney World for a week (happy me ). I'm going to make another one this size and put it out somewhere.
I also made a little mold (3 1/2" by 7" by 1 1/2" deep) that I'm going to make a few little bitty tikis to hide somewhere. I grew up in Orlando and would hang out on property everyday I wasn't at work. Back in the day, we used to drink MD 20/20 Blue Hawaiian (mixed with Powerade over ice, it wasn't too bad and it kept you hydrated during those hot summer days) and Crown Royal while hanging out at the Poly and Contemporary Resorts. When we were done, we would stick the empties in the ceiling tiles by the ice machines, among other places.

(pic of a pic, so kinda dark)

So I thought it might be cool to put a few tikis around for any TCer that finds them. Will post where when I get back.

Had a question about my molds and tools so here is a few pics

(my expansive carving tool collection)

(the three molds I've used for everything I've done so far.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation