FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 9:21 pm   Permalink

nice and different using concrete, look foward to the progression

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 9:45 pm   Permalink

Nice blindy keep them cumming.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TeamBattleground

Posted: 2008-04-16 08:24 am   Permalink

Awesome work, Blindy. I can't wait to try this idea. Hey, have you ever thought of using papercrete to lighten these up and/or save a bit on materials? Give this a look: http://livinginpaper.com/index.htm There's some great info on there about mixes, shrinkage, strength, etc.

Also, I had an awesome idea to make a multi-layered mold out of your box form and cut plywood or even closed-cell foam attached to the bottom. That way, if you needed to make multiples of a single tiki (or multiples with only slight variations) you could cast them. Say if you were selling them or wanted to make cornerstones for a raised garden...

View Profile of TeamBattleground Send a personal message to TeamBattleground      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 7:35 pm   Permalink

The Best tools are the ones that create Amazing stuff like what You seem to have there. Way to Go. Gimmee More!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 1:03 pm   Permalink

Just got back from The Polynesian Resort. I hid these two tikis.

One is hidden in the Fiji building (by the marina). It is on the first floor by the ice machine.

The other one is in the Rapa Nui building (closest building to the Transportation and Ticket Center), above the Coke machine.

To get them, raise the roof tile next to where they are.

Unfortunately, work got busy before I left and I couldn't make any to leave on the grounds. I saw a whole bunch of places that would have been perfect. That will have to wait for next year.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 9:35 pm   Permalink

crazy blindy love your tactics.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 01:46 am   Permalink

You are a nut! Love the idea.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-27 12:00 pm   Permalink

Every time I come back from Disney, I realize how pitiful my yard looks.

I cut down some bamboo behind my neighbors house and decided to make lantern holders from them. I used a T bracket with 3/8 bolts to connect the wood, then wrapped the joint in rope to hide it. Originally I was going to use a candle lantern I had around the house, but Home Depot had solar powered lights in the clearance aisle.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 08:15 am   Permalink

You go Blindy!

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 5:44 pm   Permalink

I found a few different piles of cut down trees at the street this week and decided to try my hand to carving wood again. Hopefully this one will turn out better than the last attempt (which ended up in the woods behind my house half finished).

After a few hours of carving:

There is a bar a half block from my house that has a typical Florida tiki bar (no tikis in the tiki bar). Decided it is my duty to correct that. Had a little one lying around, so I gave it to them.

Going to make a bigger one for them too.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 6:20 pm   Permalink

Way to go after the log. Nice work! It looks better than
my #2. On my #3 i bought some fancy chisel's and sanders.
I like the bar story.

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 06:49 am   Permalink

Thanks Seeksurf. Your stuff is awesome. You, Benzart, and Robin have helped me a lot, between advice, positive comments, and the shear talent of you guys. Hopefully one day I can make quality stuff like you guys. But, in the meantime, here is some quick tapa styled designs on plywood to hang on telephone poles around town.

(the blue one is one of the designs off the Polynesian Resort buildings)

I was searching around here and found a surf rock band called The Intoxicators. Come to find out, they are from Tallahassee and played with my friends band on Saturday.

(cell phone pic)

Gonna try and carve some more this week.

Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 10:13 am   Permalink

Very much enjoying this! Post pics of the installations.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 6:44 pm   Permalink

Here is some more progress on the latest tiki.

Going to have to find a chisel thread, because the cheap ones I have are about worthless. They did what I needed them to do for this one (barely), but I can tell how bad they are.
I got a sander attachment for my grinder that I couldn't be happier with. It makes quick work of bad chisel cuts.

Not overly happy with it, but I figure I have to let it be what it is. I still have a few things to clean up on it. Then the fun of sanding and staining.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 9:46 pm   Permalink

You are doing fine. I keep meaning to take and post a few
pics of my first 2 tikis. YOURS Look great.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation