FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Remodeling my basement
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Remodeling my basement
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 5:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks Pappy x2!!! Work,work,work!!! Got most of the vertical seams up and decided to stain the beam and boxes to change up the color a bit. I also changed the 2 inch poles to 5 inch in the little area.

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-10 06:45 am   Permalink

Had to rebuild the pillar thing, also changed the color of stain and put some rope over the cut in the top of the box.

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-11 5:03 pm   Permalink

almost done!!! I think?

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 7:35 pm   Permalink

Wow, thats looking great!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-13 09:44 am   Permalink

WOW!! Thats a lotta bamboo, thatch and panelling!!

Neat work with your trimming, I especially like the ceiling.

Now the fun part of decorating starts!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-13 4:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hewey and Harro!! Here are some better pictures (don't know if it makes the work look any better)? A little more progress too. Gotta get those white doors painted and some final touches of some areas I still need to figure out.

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2008-02-13 16:53 ]

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-13 9:14 pm   Permalink

You have opened a can of worms, my friend....a tiki bar (house) is NEVER DONE!!!! You will continually add to it and add to it and add to it and...and it will just keep looking better and better. that is quite an undertaking and you have done a FINE job. It is looking really nice - I especially like the finer details, like your bamboo work. Now, you have to start carving a million tikis to fill the space!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-14 9:18 pm   Permalink

More trim pieces and put some bamboo in the bathroom!!!! I caulked in the gap of the panel ceiling which I'm still going to add something to it and hope it works. Polynesic, slowly it is taking over my house!!

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-15 4:54 pm   Permalink

Messed up on the light using the nail gun, so I had to make something new. Also did it around the fire alarm to match! Does anybody have experience gluing matting to other materials? I want to glue this strip up where the paneling meets up to the wall and I don't want to nail it because I'm afraid it will split! I just want to make sure it will hold before I mess that up.

Thanks,
Craig

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-15 5:02 pm   Permalink

Nice you are really putting everything into this project and
its looking outstanding. You are going to have your own
world. I see what you are thinking
you need a few large tiki's around that place.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-15 6:45 pm   Permalink

I ended up braving it and just screwed it in.

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-15 6:45 pm   Permalink

industrial hot glue will work fine

use an industrial stapler to attach the strip
looks real nice!!!!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-16 10:22 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info Poly!! I started to apply the first coat of fire retardant. It is a lot easier and not as messy as I thought it would be! Just using that little spray bottle didn't take me long at all to get the first coat on.

DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-16 2:16 pm   Permalink

I just love seeing the pictures of your progress. I think I'm secretly living vicariously through you. I have neither the space available to create such a Polynesian paradise nor the funds to finance such a project. However, I do have the artistic know-how and, as a fellow creative person, I love watching your process - how you figure things out and then decide something works better so you change this and that as you go along. It's incredibly inspiring to me. I would simply adore doing what you're doing and then adding layer upon layer of tikis and carvings and various other authentic artifacts to decorate the space. You are seriously on your way to creating quite the little hideaway. You may even be able to charge admission to your lounge once you finish! Just kidding.

It must feel amazing to stand in the middle of that room with the thatch over your head. I bet you forget you're in a basement! Have you thought about adding some kind of water feature or faux fire element? Wasn't the juxtaposition of fire and water elements essential to tiki design? A wall fountain is fairly safe, easy to install/build, and would add that little something extra. Now about that fire thing, what about those somewhat cheesy fabric flame things that have a halogen light and a little fan that causes the faux flame to flutter and dance like real fire? You typically see them around Halloween in party stores. There's an idea for ya, not that you were looking for suggestions!

At any rate, great work! Keep the pictures coming!

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 6:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks Dejavoodoo for the kind words! Painted the doors and fireplace (faux finish) I'm not sure if I like it! I'll see how it looks dry in the morning.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation