FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Remodeling my basement
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Remodeling my basement
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 7:07 pm   Permalink

That's all looking good, man. Not a bad start on the faux job, either. How'd you end up splitting yer boo? Did you try the machete or table saw--or did you buy it already split? Keep it up -can't wait to see the next phase.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 04:26 am   Permalink

Thanks for checking it out Howland!!! It's not even close to yours, mine is just plain and basic! I ripped the bamboo myself with my table saw. It was pretty easy and cheaper to buy full rounds.

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-01 5:36 pm   Permalink

Almost done with the main job, just some paint touch ups and other minor things! Hung up some lights (still got some more on the way) and still have some puffers and floats to hang. The black bar and black couch which is not in the pictures are just temporary until we get newer stuff which will be awhile. GMAN if you are reading this, back to carving for me!! Lots of pics of the same crap, sorry I was trying different settings on my new camera.

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 03:07 am   Permalink

WOW! Such great details!

Here's another you might do: Consider painting all your light switches, smoke alarms, etc., the color of the wall/ceiling behind them. Or you could paint them stained brown like the doors. It causes them to visually vanish.

I've done this with the restaurant decor I've designed, so, it's just a thought.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 1:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bongo!!!! Yeah, That's exactly what I'm going to do but I'm going to buy them already tan or brown. I can't stand painted receptacles!!! That was some of the minor stuff I was talking about. Thanks for checkin it out.

Craig

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2008-03-02 14:41 ]

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 7:53 pm   Permalink

Wow! That place looks great. How big is that space? It looks huge. Really nice attention to detail. I hardly ever take the time (or have it) to do stuff that meticulously. Can't wait to see more. I still believe that peoples home bars are the meat and potatoes of this whole scene.
Cheers.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-04 11:13 am   Permalink

Thanks Matt!!! Yeah it took a lot longer than I expected. I'm a DIY'er but I never worked with those materials before so I started to figure out different ideas as the project went on. The space isn't tiny but not huge. I live in a Townhouse but it is my whole basement and the stairs going down. I'm sure I will be constantly adding more and more to it! Thanks again.

Craig

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-16 4:48 pm   Permalink

Went to D.C. today and got a bar and some chairs and found the swivel chairs at the first estate sale I have ever been to for 60 bucks for both of them.

Questions......

1) Does anybody know anything about the glasses on the bar? I got them when I purchased the bar, just wondering if it is some kind of cool find or just crap?

2) Does anybody know where to get replacement cushions for the chairs in the pictures?

3) and any ideas on what to do for the sliding glass door? I'm trying to stay away from verticals and want to try to keep whatever I put up on the inside of the frame since my bar is butted up against it. I was thinking about those bamboo bead things?

Thanks
Craig

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 10:58 am   Permalink

Looking super cool! I wish I lived somewhere where you could have a basement. I could have an under the house swimming pool though.

Remember...coolness is in the eye of the beer holder. One mans crap is another mans cool find.

You may be able to use cushions for patio chairs on those. Take some measurements and go to Target or something. You could also probably make them pretty easily. Furniture foam wrapped with a bunting of some sort. Quick and easy slip cover for it with some tie straps at the corners and where you need it to bend.

[ This Message was edited by: Surf tiki 2008-03-17 11:10 ]

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 11:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-16 16:48, tikifreak1 wrote:
Went to D.C. today and got a bar and some chairs and found the swivel chairs at the first estate sale I have ever been to for 60 bucks for both of them.

Questions......

1) Does anybody know anything about the glasses on the bar? I got them when I purchased the bar, just wondering if it is some kind of cool find or just crap?

2) Does anybody know where to get replacement cushions for the chairs in the pictures?

3) and any ideas on what to do for the sliding glass door? I'm trying to stay away from verticals and want to try to keep whatever I put up on the inside of the frame since my bar is butted up against it. I was thinking about those bamboo bead things? Beads would probably look cool over the glass, though.

Thanks
Craig

Answer to question #1: They are pure crap. Carefully pack them and send them to my address immediately!
Answer to question #2: Maybe swing them by an upholsterer and see if they can refurbish them to an original state.
Answer to question #3: Actually I have no answer but am swirling around some ideas for the same problem in my room--sliding glass door frames are the only thing white , therefore obtrusive, in my room.

Looking good, bro!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 8:00 pm   Permalink

Wow you have done a incredible job on this tiki paradise.
Man if i was closer id have to pimp out my tikis in your place.

The glasses look cool the color and print seem to blend well with the
place.

The slider is a tough one?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 4:58 pm   Permalink

Surf tiki- thanks!!! My wife is going to attempt to make new cushions for them.

Howland- Thanks, I tried to clean the cushions for two of the chairs but they were really moldy and smelled like my grandparents house!?!?

Seeksurf- you the man!!

Thanks again for the input!!

I thought the bar looked naked so I started to build a roof over it. I ran out of wood (which it is pretty much done except for one more arm) and have just a little sample piece of thatch hanging up! I planning on somehow covering the wood with burlap or matting to cover my Ghetto construction job, but that is the only way I could figure out how to build it since I did it after everything else!

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 5:31 pm   Permalink

Beautiful-lookin' lounge, TF. Now dim those lights next time you take the pics.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 5:37 pm   Permalink

The place is looking pretty cool, especially the shrunken heads (mine is in some mail truck as we speak!) The easiest fix for the sliding glass doors would be the bamboo door curtains in a natural color, with a high strand count, like 130 or whatever they make. Those look awesome in natural but kinda cheesy with dragons dueling panthers, or wizards shooting lightning bolts at marijuana leaves. And if you find some for less than $40, let me know! I've been looking. I covered my roof (similar to yours frame-wise) and some of my ceiling with a woven burlap-looking matting material from OA and it looks good. It's also good because it was only 2 ft. wide and 30 ft. long, so there's enough to go around. There are pics of it on here somewhere if you want to check it out. Good luck!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 5:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks Kahalakruzer, I am going with the beads!! I just sent you a PM about them and the heads!! Ohhh yeah, and your place looks great too, I love that shell light!!!

Craig

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation