FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Not what it seems Page 16 8/20/13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Not what it seems Page 16 8/20/13
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 05:42 am   Permalink

Rock on!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 10:29 am   Permalink

Tucson,
From a fellow Tucsonian & Kon Tikier, GREAT work. Nice green wall too.
img]http://tikiroom.com/img/9116x48fcdf88.jpg[/img]

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 09:23 am   Permalink

After selling my last large carve to the Kon Tiki here in Tucson I decided at the urging of some of ya to try my hand at something like this large lono style. Seeksurf has been a big inspiration in the quality of his carves. I did not want to copy his style but expand on mine using his influence. Here is my first attempt at a full body lono with large headress. The headpiece will get lots more detail and I am far from finished with it all. I would like to know from the experts here what would be typical designs for such a headpiece? Any ideas would help or should I just go for it and get creative? Should these things have eyes or are they always hidden under the headpiece?

[ This Message was edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-02 09:25 ]

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 12:11 pm   Permalink

Wow! Big start! Like the guy peeping at it on the wall!
You can find all your answers here!...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26061&forum=7

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 3:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks! That's a 50's Chevron billboard that I put up in the back of my messy shop. Been carving too much to work on my hotrods and get my shop in order. That's gonna change real soon though. Made good progress on the lono tonight and will post pics as soon as I get some designs on the headdress. TT

[ This Message was edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-03 20:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-03 20:25 ]

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 10:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-02 09:23, Tucson Tiki wrote:
I would like to know from the experts here what would be typical designs for such a headpiece? Any ideas would help or should I just go for it and get creative? Should these things have eyes or are they always hidden under the headpiece?

Believe it or not, on Lono images, what appears to be a headpiece is the eyes. It's a very strange morph of an oversized pair of eyes, eyelashes (that go down the sides of the body to form braids of hair), and vertebra( forms a spinal column which is symbolic of a higher consciousness) that rise above the head.

Davenport/Cox explain it very well in their book "Hawaiian Sculpture". Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out, TT!

Bowana

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-04 7:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-02 09:23, Tucson Tiki wrote:
Any ideas would help or should I just go for it and get creative?

Looking good...I say get creative w/it (while keeping a mild influence from traditional images, maybe). That's what makes it 'your style' and unique, as opposed to a copy of something else.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-04 7:16 pm   Permalink

Hey man,
Big fan of your style - I've been keeping an eye on your stuff since I found this place.
Do you mind me asking what kind of tools you are using to get such huge sweeping fluid lines?
The precision is really impressive on that scale to me.

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-04 8:59 pm   Permalink

More Way COOL Stuff man I Love tat tiki and headdress. Nice crisp detail!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 10:59 am   Permalink

Sweet carve! What going to sit on the top? Nice place for a torch maybe....? Happy carving.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 6:54 pm   Permalink

Ya, I think I am gonna let loose with my own style on the headpiece. The oversized eye thing really won't work on this one. Worked on it tonight and I think I got a plan to make it look cool. Tyler. I rough out the general design with hand carving tools and then use a 4 1/2 Dewalt body grinder with 36 grit paper to shape up the big stuff and get the major shape. I then use a air angle 90 degree mini grinder with Roloc discs to shape the smaller stuff and then different burrs to detail the little stuff. Tried the SaburrTooth burrs advertised here on TC. They worked pretty good on some stuff and not well on other parts. I think they would have been better on a harder wood than palm. One fell apart the first second I used it. Don't know where you can get them as they say they are wholesale. They sent me some to try. Thanks for the kind words. The top of this one was just something weird I came up with. No particular reason other than being weird and different. This one will be offered to the Kon Tiki here in Tucson for the front of the bar if they want to buy it. We will see.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 7:02 pm   Permalink

Tucson this guy is FAB! nice shape nice lines and good size!
You have got this down.

I wouldn't say i have my own style yet? Everything i have
carves looks like what i copy from pictures.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 7:33 pm   Permalink

Seeksurf, On you next carve just do what comes natural and don't look at any pictures. Go Freestyle man! I wish the palmwood would let me get the tight detail like your alder. I will be in Wash. in a week or so to pick up some stuff for a family member. Looking to bring back some cedar logs with me. Hope it all works out.

Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-09 2:38 pm   Permalink

Ok, Boys and Girls! Just finished sanding,burning and putting on the Copper Green wood preservitive. When it dries I will apply the spar finish. Should be finished up by tomorrow eve. Turned out pretty cool in my humble opinion. I am really happy with it. Will be offering this one to the KonTiki here in Tucson for their courtyard in front of the bar. First attempt at a large lono. Gonna do a few more like this in the near furure. TT

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 9:41 pm   Permalink

Sweet carve love the face and headdress!
Well done!

I will set you up with my last and only cedar log if you
come pick it up. Ill PM you

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation