FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Need subjects for velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Need subjects for velvet paintings
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 11:29 am   Permalink

Sorry Sven, you can't have em.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 1:48 pm   Permalink

what would kristin gehring say...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachcomber
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-29 1:54 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the lesson in lighting. Going back to Leeteg of Tahiti I now see so well how important it is for dramatic effect. There's got to be some TCers who'd love to pose for you if you wanted to work with me.

Here are some ideas I thought I'd work from. They're all from old post cards, but again I'm reluctant to use them as a source because of potential copyright issues. The last one is a rough idea to mix Tiki with Caravagio. Tikiavagio?

View Profile of Beachcomber Send a personal message to Beachcomber      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 2:36 pm   Permalink

I've been wanting a velvet painting of Don Ho for years now. Also, a Blue Hawaii velvet of Elvis. It seems like every other era of Elvis is seen all the time on velvet, but I've not myself been able to track down a Blue Hawaii one.

I would think the Elvis one could be a big seller anywhere, while a Don Ho series of velvets might move in tiki aficianado circles.

Just a suggestion...

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 11:22 pm   Permalink

Sigh. Now: WHO here would like to have a fine black velvet painting hanging in their home bar/rec room? Quite a few folks, I would assume.
So: Here is a genuine request for material with which WE, the TCers, could help the creation of such paintings become a reality....AND, even better, put the concept of making them yourself out there, maybe sowing the seed for more people to get into it !!!...and all we can muster up is this?

The only person who came even close to posting something productive in terms of model material was the initial poster himself! Embarrassing.

To keep Tiki culture alive and growing, you have to do a little work, contribute, water the Tiki Garden!
Why do I have to do everything round here.... This is not even my expertise....grumble grumble...

Koolau had a good suggestion: Old postcards. Now good ones are not that easy to come by, but with all the hunters and collectors here, there must be more than these two for example:

Then there are the Mai Kai calendar girls:

And old tourist photo books and brochures. This guy has nice shading for black velvet portraiture:

But ultimately, the classic black velvet subject is the Wahine, preferably in the nude. Now we do not necessarily need a Polynesian nude, one can simply ad the island elements to a classic nude photo in the painting:

I easily could see her sitting on a rock, with a waterfall pouring over her. This and the next two nudes are by 50s photographer Andre DeDienes, who did tons of nude photo books for the adult "artistic" photography connoisseurs of the mid-century.

Here is a leafy nature girl that would look nice on velvet:

And look at her....uh, GUITAR !:

Beachcomb, I would not worry about copyright until you plan to make thousands of paintings, really! So you can go and use contemporary photos like these:

On the next one, which is another example of low angle key lighting, I tried to do the "crank-up-the-contrast" trick, which was unfavorable for her facial features, but then, who's complaining...:

The two contemporary photos above are by Teva Sylvain, descendant of Sylvain, THE outstanding photographer of Tahitian Vahines in the 20th Century. If anybody ever turns this classic photo by Sylvain below into a good black velvet, I want it:

'nuff said.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 04:44 am   Permalink

'nuff said alright...

PS: another very informative, well researched and visually stunning post Sven!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 06:32 am   Permalink

If Mai-Kai calendar girls are desirable for black velvets (and I think they are, even though they are not nude), there are plenty of pictures of them available here for inspiration:

And the several years of Mai-Kai calendars that Swanky posted on his blog.

I think this one in particular would make a stunning velvet:

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 08:09 am   Permalink

Here are a couple of velvets from our collection to perhaps 'inspire' you.

I'm not sure if basing your velvet painting on some old photos or postcards will get you in trouble until you start reproducing it and making tons of money selling it. If what you want to do is use some old pics as 'inspiration' I'd say you'd be in very good company. (Although I'd tend to steer clear of a certain well-known M. Mouse. His bosses tend to be, ironically, a bit overzealous in the protection racket.).

Naked, or semi-naked ladies in tropical settings are an obvious choice, and Svens' post above is a great jumping-off point. Elvis has been done a lot but it seems his Estate doesn't mind too much these days (sensible of them).

It really comes down to the lighting with a velvet. You just gotta go for mood and drama and boldness. Watch old Film Noir as well. You can say you're doing 'research' while enjoying great film.

Oh, and please don't paint bullfighters. Nothing personal against bullfighters, but they already have too many pictures of themselves in velvet. I know vanity is part of their 'thing' but really...

Wasn't it Picasso who said “good artists copy, great artists steal.”?

CH

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 11:05 am   Permalink

Feel free to take a look at MY website for inspiration. If you want to use one of the shots I took as inspiration we can talk about some kind of trade or reference in exchange. best way to contact me is peter_t_richards @ yahoooooooooooo .com you get the idea. Please do NOT reproduce without my permission... but I am certainly willing to talk and work with any TC artist or do an exchange.

Cheers

www.TheHulaDance.com

[ This Message was edited by: Blowfish 2008-01-31 11:06 ]

View Profile of Blowfish Send a personal message to Blowfish  Email Blowfish Goto the website of Blowfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 12:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-30 23:22, bigbrotiki wrote:

The two contemporary photos above are by Teva Sylvain, descendant of Sylvain, THE outstanding photographer of Tahitian Vahines in the 20th Century.

There are a lot of great Teva Sylvain photos on this website:
http://www.pacific-promotion.com.fr/WW70AWP/WW70AWP.EXE/CONNECT/Tahiti?mappel=CONNEXION&langue=us&mconnex=photo
Here are some examples that I think would be great for black velvet insperation (They are all copyright PACIFIC PROMOTION TAHITI SA.)

There are just a few tiki related photos like these:

And there are also some great wallpapers - this is the one on my desktop:

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachcomber
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:33 pm   Permalink

Here's my 'I wish I really had Photo Shop to do this right' manipulation of a post card to see what I could come up with for a reference. I know there are TCers who could do a much better job than me on some of the great photos people are submitting.

Does anyone make a color printer that works on velvet?

View Profile of Beachcomber Send a personal message to Beachcomber      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:34 pm   Permalink

Many of the old (1950s or earlier) Tahiti and Marquesas travel books have nice B&W photos with great contrast. Ditto the older Oceanic arts books for tikis. I've found quite a few complete books on the internet archive and project gutenberg, and ebay listings often have some nice scans included. There are always plenty of vintage postcards on there (ebay) too. There is also a very nice Taschen book on Sylvain.
I've been collecting these for a while in the hopes of one day doing a large scale "Beauty and the Beast" sculpture...

Pretty sure this one has been done a few times - he looks very familiar:

As does this chap....

We return to our regular programming:

bonus for Sven - no idea where I got this from:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-31 13:34, Paipo wrote:

Which month was she on the Mai Kai Calendar?

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:51 pm   Permalink

Yesssss, that is great! Thank you, my faith is restored!

Now, Beachcomber, you are under the gun! In a couple of weeks, we wanna see results!

I think you did great with your photo conversion above. It would be neat if one could store the combination of settings, and then one-click the photos with it, and quickly check if they would work as velvets.

PS.: I am not talking about HER ! BAD! (also, see Tiki Modern page 268)

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-31 13:55 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 2:04 pm   Permalink

Goodness!

This thread is reminding me of going into the ABC stores as a young'n and picking up as many nudey Polynesian girl paraphernalia as I could fit in my backpack.

A local artist has a number of velvet paintings of mugs on the walls of Thatch, some of which are for sale. It's simple to sit a mug on a black backdrop and go to town!

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation