FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Need subjects for velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Need subjects for velvet paintings
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 3:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-31 14:04, Trader Tiki wrote:
A local artist has a number of velvet paintings of mugs on the walls of Thatch, some of which are for sale. It's simple to sit a mug on a black backdrop and go to town!

Oh yeah, good point. Many here will remember Flounder's burlap paintings (one of which Wayne Coombs refused to sell to me because he realized it was his last one, drat!). These would work well on velvet I think. Hope he doesn't mind me posting this image.

But I still prefer the wahines.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 02:39 am   Permalink

This is a vintage ('69) black velvet from NZ, currently on Aussie ebay (I put a link up in tiki marketplace).

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 08:32 am   Permalink

At the Taschen store in Beverly Hills I picked up a little book called HULA, Vintage Hawaiian Graphics, Ed. Jim Heimann. I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in vintage depictions of wahines. Full of old photos and lots of drawings. (Good for composition ideas.) Here's one photo:

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachcomber
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-14 1:26 pm   Permalink

I want to keep this thread going. I need more ideas!

Here's a composite I made using a couple of old exotica album covers. Would it pass the test?

View Profile of Beachcomber Send a personal message to Beachcomber      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachcomber
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-01 9:44 pm   Permalink

O.K. I considered painting a velvet and soon realized I didn't know what I was doing. I should have known better. I learned long ago I'm no artist. But I asked a friend who does know how to paint to give it a try and this is the result. It was painted from a postcard. I think it looks very nice. It has that Leeteg romantic feel to it.

[ This Message was edited by: Beachcomber 2008-04-01 21:46 ]

View Profile of Beachcomber Send a personal message to Beachcomber      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 10:14 pm   Permalink

Sorry to hear you gave up. We were looking forward to seeing your work. Mind you, that one your friend did is pretty darn nice! If you (or he) are interested in selling it we'd be interested in buying it. Drop us a PM if you're interested...

M&M

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-02 07:37 am   Permalink

Tell the friend he should consider doing more. Nice stuff.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-02 08:35 am   Permalink

*WANT*!!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-02 08:40 am   Permalink

Too Racy to look at while at a Middle School, will have to check out later, but what a bunch of great photos and ideas for velvet that I saw so far.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-02 3:01 pm   Permalink

Would love to try painting on black velvet.
Anyone have any "how to" resources for black velvet painting?

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 12:28 am   Permalink

Hmmmm....looks better on velvet?
Guess I could have chosen a better topic for my first post.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 12:58 pm   Permalink

That reminds me - I have to fix a flat tire on my car!

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 1:42 pm   Permalink

When I was searching for art for my Tiki lounge, I found a place located in New York called Trailertaste that sold original imitations of Leeteg and other velvet paintings, but the last time I tried to visit their website a few months ago, it was down, so they're probably out of business. (I also found a thread on this site about them from 2002, when they were still in business).

However, I just did a Yahoo! search and came up with these:
http://velvetpaintings.com/

As a professional writer who has friends who are artists and musicians, I hate to sound cavalier about intellectual property, but I think that regardless of what you take as source material, copyrighted or not, you won't get into any trouble as long as you are using the source for a painting to go on your own wall. Now, if you are planning to sell them, that's another matter entirely.

As I understand it, Leeteg freely stole imagery from a photographer who shot Tahitian scenes as sources for his paintings, so you will be following in a grand tradition.

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov  Email Dr. Zarkov     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 6:40 pm   Permalink

Look how good / realistic this one is, big price on it though

http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-GUERRERO-NUDE-FEMALE-Painting-On-Black-Velvet_W0QQitemZ270235732999QQihZ017QQcategoryZ551QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-05-08 18:42 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 9:55 pm   Permalink

Interestingly enough another version of that same painting sold the other day for a mere $152.50. It's not quite as nice, but a whole lot cheaper...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-velvet-oil-painting-signed-NUDE-WOMAN-huge_W0QQitemZ230248794620QQihZ013QQcategoryZ551QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation