FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 12:29 am   Permalink

My first tiki invasion and boy did it exceed my expectation. I made a weekend out of it, and it was perfect.

I took off work Friday to get an early start on the weekend. I got a surf in that morning and it was GOOOOD. 2-4 foot, CLEAN and no sharks! Sweet baby Lou, this was a sign.

Let the weekend begin!!!!!
Why go half way? I’m making the rounds this weekend. I HAD a few brain cells that were getting way too cocky and besides, I gotta get in shape for tiki oasis 8. It’s never too early to train.

Got outa san diego around 1pm, first stop El Segundo. Hit the Purple Orchid and had
a tasty mai tai out of a scorpion bowl with my wife. Ahhhh, just what I needed to get into the state of mind required for the upcoming weekend.

No time to get comfy, time for stop II.

Ambiance was spot on
Service… good
Food…. somewhat edible
mai tai…, pee u
mug….. way cool.

This was my first time to the Bahaooka and I was impressed with how cool the place is, fur sure!

Sofa King in his native habitat

We are hitting all we can this weekend, now for stop III.

OOGA MOOGA!!!

That’s right, I had to make my pilgrimage. Getting on my knees, facing north and bowing to my mecca was no longer good enough. This was another first for me. I saw the light, and it was good.

My wife and scored a seat at the bar and met Maui Mike from Maui. He is a close personal friend with the owners and gets full VIP treatment in the Tiki Ti when visiting from his paradise. We talked and told him how we got engaged at Mamma Fish House on Maui. We got his contact info and will be looking him up the next time we are over there.

After a mai tai, a Ray’s mistake, and one 45 dollar parking ticket, my wife drove us to the hotel.

We got to mission tiki around 12 noon. I was in heaven, cars, tiki, KILLER live music, B movies,…..Game Over!

Like many have already mentioned, Tikiyaki Orchestra were on it! Honestly, all the bands were exceptional as many others have already stated. It was great to see the Woggles tear it up again, and I could listen to the Martini Kings for days. For my personal taste, the Del Reys took top honors.

Form meets Function

By the way, I believe that was John Goodman fresh off the set of Big Lebowski II playing drums for the Unknown Hinson.

“DONNIE, your out of your element!,…. Dude, Am I wrong?! Am I wrong?!”

And all was good in Sofa King’s world.

[ This Message was edited by: sofa king 2008-05-06 10:37 ]

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 10:24 am   Permalink

Tikiyaki - You could also market the Sushi all you can eat lunch hour!

[ This Message was edited by: Mongoloid 2008-05-06 10:25 ]

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 11:15 am   Permalink

wow sofa king, quite the weekend, thats cool.!!!
congrats.

let me give a try at this.
Thurs nite went to Alex's bar in LB to see VooDuo and the UglyBeats.
Fri. nite. The Flying bridge in Oceanside for Tiki Night with 3 of the 4 hours of Superwave playing.
Sat. morning, had to clean 3 more pools I didnt do Fri. because my bathing suit ripped on the seam, and didnt want to expose myself at my customers expense.
Got to tiki drive in at 11:30. proceeded to get extremly drunk, enjoyed
Tikiyaki immensely. then went and passed out under the trees by the big stage,
could hear the bands, but was bummed I was not able to watch. it was only 8 ounces of RUM, wtf??? haha. became coherent enough to go see some of Martini Kings thankfully, then saw Agent Orange. then got ready for the movies.
no, no more rum, it got cold, dressed warmer, but was still chilly,
about 20 min or so into Zombie we left. We is Ran(kick the reverb) and Jonpaul of tikiyaki/tikimag. they both crashed in my tiki room at my house.
Next morning. Ran had to get up at 6 am to get back to San Diego, JP and I did Breakfast at Kinda Lahina in Seal Beach(mmmmm portugeeese sausage)back home
2 hour nap, then went to my Ex Brother in Laws house, and we bought some of his tiki mugs, then to TV's lounge in BH. He had rehersal for tikiyaki, so I dropped him off, I went home and took another 3 hour nap.
Monday I vegged all day recouperating.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spycygrl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-06 11:44 am   Permalink

Sofa King:
I lived 4 blocks from Tiki Ti for 5 years -- just moved recently. I spent many a hazy evening there for sure (since I could walk/stumble/crawl home).

Just moved to the 'Gundo in March and now enjoy the libations from the Purple Orchid (where I can also walk/bike/be carried home). We fondly call it the "P.O."

Boyfriend took me to Bahooka for the first time back in January. We LOVED it, but thought the food was sort of GROSS. Just go for the drinks, I say.

I'm off to Chicago in June and will be hitting the Hala Kahiki for sure. Expanding my stumbling...

And GREAT call on the Unknown Hinson drummer. Perfect.

View Profile of spycygrl Send a personal message to spycygrl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
'Vid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 2:37 pm   Permalink

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

Wake me up in two weeks.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

View Profile of 'Vid Send a personal message to 'Vid  Email 'Vid Goto the website of 'Vid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 3:20 pm   Permalink

Bigtikidude,
I think your weekend wins over mine. You fit in more music than I did. I like your style, charging it like that. I think you and I may live by the
same creed. It goes like this...”Because I Can!”
I think your pace would have lapped me this past weekend. I must train harder, you pace would have worked me for sure.
Keep up the good work for us sinners out here.

Spycygirl,
I see you locate yourself conveniently/ dangerously close to fine tiki establishments. You have great taste, I like that kind of commitment!
I really enjoyed both of those bars SofaKing much!
I have the good fortune to live within stumbling distance from the Bali Hai. Well actually, driving or biking is preferred but walking is totally doable and often done. Have fun in the windy city!

Sofa King,

[ This Message was edited by: Sofa King 2008-05-06 15:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sofa King 2008-05-06 15:21 ]

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 6:55 pm   Permalink

Caught the last few hours of daylight for Tiki Invasion, great looking place you designed Danny, awesome job!
The Mission Tiki keeps getting better and better. What a great place for all the great musicians, artists, cars, and people. Good space to be in. Good seeing many of you.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-05-06 19:00 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 9:33 pm   Permalink

Ojaitimo,
Thank you for not getting a pic of me passed out over by the Fence.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Laffo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-06 10:40 pm   Permalink

Red Eye
LAX
Mission Tiki
Building "Goodie Bags"
Hanging Menu Boards with Tiki Diablo
Not eating at the Tam O'Shanter
Michelli's
Getting RVs
Finances
Tiki Ti
Tiki Ti
Tiki Ti
Norco
The Saddle Sore
Flinstone's Swingers Retreat
Damn Canopies
The RV's shithouse is dripping
Beer
Brown Liquor
Suck Em Up shirt
Hillbilly Helmet
Beer
Bands of some sort
Beer in Styrofoam cup
Beer in Styrofoam cup with Diablo
Beer in Styrofoam cup with Diablo chased with Hot Dogs
Zombi fights Shark
Girl gets splinter in Eye
Beer in Styrofoam cup with Diablo and Nacho
Beer
Brown Liquor
Goodnight
Tear down that Stage
Pann's
LAX
Home.

Whadda you do this weekend?

Out,
Laffo

View Profile of Uncle Laffo Send a personal message to Uncle Laffo  Goto the website of Uncle Laffo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-05-06 10:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-06 22:40, Uncle Laffo wrote:

Girl gets splinter in Eye

Okay... you have to tell us more about this chapter. Did someone get to use tweezers? Was there a lot of screaming?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Laffo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-06 11:09 pm   Permalink

Watch the film "Zombie" or in the Italian, like it was meant to be appreciated, "Zombi," you'll see, cause she doesn't anymore.
Laffo

[ This Message was edited by: Uncle Laffo 2008-05-06 23:14 ]

View Profile of Uncle Laffo Send a personal message to Uncle Laffo  Goto the website of Uncle Laffo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-05-07 12:00 am   Permalink

Oh, the movie, of course. I am simultaneously sadly disappointed and happily relieved.

In anycase, to satisfy anyone's itch, here's a famous eye shot from another film.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 06:18 am   Permalink

What!
No corndogs Laffo?

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
'Vid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 12:16 pm   Permalink

Not to forget horny women making a strange buzzing sound...

Laffo, glad you had a good time. Thanks for all your help, the Invasion was a far more enjoyable event with you around.

Now get some REST! LOL

View Profile of 'Vid Send a personal message to 'Vid  Email 'Vid Goto the website of 'Vid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martini kings
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 8:14 pm   Permalink

hey vid,
you sure know how to throw a tiki bash! it was a real blast.
mahalo from the martini kings and thew del reys!
now go get some rest!
tony

View Profile of martini kings Send a personal message to martini kings  Email martini kings Goto the website of martini kings     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation