FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre
'Vid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 9:24 pm   Permalink

"Fence hoppers, and for that matter trunk stowaways, will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

LOL

I remember hopping the fence at the El Rancho Drive-In in Sparks, NV once back when I was a 15 year old hooligan.

FYI, The El Rancho is still around today, so if you're in Reno/Sparks, check it out.

I like the Smokey and The Bandit request. We recently did a Burt Reynolds night over at the Starlight in Atlanta, it was amazing. Smokey, Sharkey's Machine and White Lightning. Burt was great but Jerry Reed rules.

If you're into Smokey & The Bandit history, check out
www.atlantatimemachine.com. Greg Germani has PAINSTAKINGLY re-photographed certain scenes from the movie (e.g. intersections, buildings, bridges, houses, etc) in a "then and now" format. It is incredible, but I'll warn you that you can easily kill an hour or more on this site, it's fascinating! He has done the same with hundreds of historical photos all over Atlanta. Every city should do what Greg has done for Atlanta. It's a real piece of history.

I think we had an issue trying to get Blue Hawaii for the last Tiki-Invasion, but I'll check it out. Great movie, it's soooooo Elvis, we'd LOVE to show that!

Keep the movie ideas coming! Good stuff!

View Profile of 'Vid Send a personal message to 'Vid  Email 'Vid Goto the website of 'Vid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-06 01:00 am   Permalink

Howabout:

A Ray Harryhausen film like JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD, or SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER.

A Steve Reeves HERCULES film.

A Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western.

Or GROG's mom, Raquel in ONE MILLION YEARS B.C.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 04:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-04 18:51, 'Vid wrote:
We're working on the film lineup as we speak. Any suggestions/requests? A lot of our favorites are so hard to find on 35mm, but we're going to find three amazing films for this shindig. Share your thoughts with us.

You should contact Will "The Thrill" Viharo. He runs the programming at the Parkway and Cerrito Speakeasy movie theaters up here in the Bay Area in Nor Cal, and he hosts a really cool B movie night once a month called
Thrillville. He has a lot of cool and obscure prints, and might loan you one or two, or find a specific one from someone else, etc. He goes by the handle AquaZombie here on Tiki Central, and is good friends with Otto - in fact Will and Otto share a duplex apartment building. I think Will would be into helping you, he and his wife Monica drove down to the Tiki Invasion back in August 2006.

As for movies I'd like to see, the one's that Grog mentioned, including Jason and the Argonauts, and The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, would be cool - that sword fight against the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts is amazing! Hercules is good too, I wish I could recommend Arnold Schwartennegger as Hercules, but that film is funny only because it is so terrible!!! Also Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, and The Amazing Colossal Man would be great too. Someone mentioned Russ Meyer - Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! would be fun! I'm a big fan of car films, so American Graffiti, Vanishing Point, and especially Two Lane Black Top would be awesome as well! So that's my two cents. Looking forward to this event, see you in May!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
'Vid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 10:58 am   Permalink

Grog and Maitai have good taste in film!!

We love Harryhausen too. And I can definitely get some. We did Sinbad and The Eye of the Tiger at the last Rock n' Roll Monster Bash (Starlight Drive-In Atlanta, June '07). Nothing like Harryhausen on a drive-in screen. I also own several Harryhausen movie trailers, which will be shown between the movies.

I'll give Will a holler, and I've got some other really cool film contacts as well.

Film selection can be agonizing, it's like asking someone what their three favorite songs are. Heck, we all have hundreds that we love, and it's tough to narrow it down to what you want to be the three perfect selections! All the while, I know I'm not going to make EVERYBODY happy, but I'll try to accomodate most.

Tough call but this is sooooo much fun.
'Vid

View Profile of 'Vid Send a personal message to 'Vid  Email 'Vid Goto the website of 'Vid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 6:32 pm   Permalink

Should one not hope, since the title of the event is "TIKI Invasion", and not B-Movie-, Monster-, or Road Movie- Invasion, that there would be some classic South Seas movies that could be screened, like "His Majesty O'Keefe", "Wake of the Red Witch", the Gaugin Bio-drama "The Moon and Sixpence"...or Elvis' "Blue Hawaii" ?

And what REALLY would fit well, maybe as an opening short, would be the nightclub scene from "I AM CUBA" !

...so you guys like Gladiator movies, huh?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-06 18:35 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 7:34 pm   Permalink

Harryhausen's the BEST! However, if you want to stick to a Tiki Theme, as Big Bro is correct to suggest, we should consider "Mysterious Island". I mean, come on; they're stuck on a South Seas Island and have to fight gigantic living Luau Food! And the terrible yet wonderful "From Hell It Came" would be a natural as well. And of course, Abbott & Costello's "Pardon My Sarong" would be perfect if you're considering throwing a comedy in there!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 8:23 pm   Permalink

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-06 8:29 pm   Permalink

As much as I loved the tiki element, I found His Majesty O'Keefe to be terrible(and not in a good way). Great Rock N Roll Swindle, though not tiki, would be fun. I also nominate the Japanese B-movie classic, Matango. They're on an island and they even do a uke number-http://youtube.com/watch?v=C8mq29Tf9VI

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 11:01 pm   Permalink

Well in my opinion, if you wanna see "good" movies, go to the mall. But then again, I will not shoulder the economic responsibility of such an event as this, and the task of appealing to a broad variety of expectations and tastes. In the end, everybody just wants to "party", I guess.

I had fun at your Drive-In event at the 2002 Hukilau in Atlanta, you know what you're doing, keep up the good work.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-02-06 11:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-06 23:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well in my opinion, if you wanna see "good" movies, go to the mall. ...

Ha Ha! Exactly why I recommended "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057181/trailers-screenplay-E20854-310

Hey, Boyd Rice listed this as one of his favorite films! That has to count for some Tiki points, right?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2008-02-07 02:13 am   Permalink

Well, if you insist upon some sort of Tiki-ish film, you could try RAPA NUI.

Or PAGAN ISLAND.

But, GROG will be at the screen showing the Harryhausen movie.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
'Vid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 09:59 am   Permalink

Wow, like I said, SOOOO many great movies. Not to worry, we will have at LEAST one good tiki film in there somewhere. I'm going to try hard to find a print of Blue Hawaii.

As you may recall, last Tiki-Invasion we showed Cobra Woman, Bug, and Hard Ticket to Hawaii. All three had tiki and island themes!

Might show another Maria Montez classic, since we did Cobra Woman last time maybe show White Savage (1943) this time around. Spectacular island scenery.

FYI, some of you met "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" producer Andy Sidaris and his wonderful wife Arlene at the last Tiki-Invasion. Unfortunately we lost Andy to cancer just 7 months later in March of 2007. Read more about his impressive life and career here:
http://www.andysidaris.com/news.html

I like Gladiator movies a lot if they're by Harryhausen, and I'm not alone there! LOL When I was in high school I was in a band called The Argonauts, it lasted all of 3 weeks. hahahaha

GROG

Posted: 2008-02-07 11:17 am   Permalink

Was the lead singer named Jason?

'Vid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-08 09:26 am   Permalink

LOL, alas, no... But he was a bit on the skeletal side!

Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-08 10:06 am   Permalink

How about "Goldfinger" or "Dr. No" and maybe some Bugs Bunny shorts thrown in for good measure? Just a thought

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation