FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki TRADER VIC's Warehouse Sale
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
TRADER VIC's Warehouse Sale
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-23 9:07 pm   Permalink

wow, i think i would have overloaded, and went into a nervous breakdown if i had went in there (due to the fact i would have wanted so much, but not nearly the cash for all i wanted) i used to have that problem in good record stores where id find so much shit i wanted that id walk out with nothing....lol

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-23 10:31 pm   Permalink

I have to say that I'm glad I made it over to the sale today. I picked up one of the Helmet Shell bowls (mine is beige) used to serve the beloved Rum Giggle and one of the small (about 3.5 ft long) bamboo fish traps. I also picked up a box of wine glasses (unfortunately unmarked).
Overall there were some pretty amazing pieces and some more run-of-the-mill. Prices were reasonable for most things though and like others have said, the staff was helpful and knowledgeable. I would be surprised if the sale went on until the 29th like advertised... there was a guy there who seemed to be buying up quite a few choice tikis and filling his U-Haul!
Anyway, I'm tempted to go back if for nothing else just to look around and maybe for a glass float.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-02-23 11:00 pm   Permalink

All of the tikis range in price from $45 (wee) to $3000 (11-13ft).

Vic's bought out all of the stock of the company in the far east that made tikis for them, so many of the tikis in the warehouse have never been used at a location. Be sure to check them carefully.

But there are several that do have a prime pedigree, as PTD said. The one that his friend got was part of a pair that were in SF Vic's, but prior to that they were in fact in front of Cosmo Place, per Eve Bergeron and the former CEO. His brother is now living in my garage.

They also have the 10+ foot tikis that were behind the bar at Vic's SF (Golden Gate)

The sale is a goldmine of beautiful stuff. Try to check it out.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 08:20 am   Permalink

"Overwhelming" and "Gold Mine" don't even begin to cover it.
So many times I was in line to pay for my goods and I'd see someone holding something I hadn't yet seen. "Hey, where'd you find that ?". The usual response went something like this: "In that other room, there are boxes of 'em." So once again I'd get out of line and add more items to my growing pile of treasure.
From what I saw there was no haggling on prices. They had a printout of all prices. I think everyone recognized the rarest of opportunities to own great stuff, so the prices did not seem out of line.
I'll post some pictures of the items I bought when this hangover lifts.(Great party last night. Thanks again TikiTastic).

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 08:24 am   Permalink

Here's the other one of the pair of SF tikis that Martin mentioned:

Was that one for sale too?

Oh, and before I forget to say this: I HATE YOU ALL!! Someday the Mai-Kai is going to sell everything in their warehouse and guess who's going to be there?!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 08:34 am   Permalink

What did the place smell like?

curious.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 08:48 am   Permalink

If anybody is going to the sale today and they still have the menu poster prints, can someone get me one. Please! I'd like one to hang in my Tiki room, and being a pc version, it would be ok to have around when my kids come over.

PM me if anyone is able to get one, and we can work out something from there.

Mahalo

Rick

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-24 08:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

curious.

It smelled like Tiki for sale... delicious!

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 12:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-24 08:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

curious.

..smells like money!!

seriously, aside from being insanely jealous of all those great tiki items you folks have gotten, i think it's way cool that these things were able to find their way into homes where they will continue to serve their purpose....rather then end up in the trash one day.....this is a big part of what tiki central is here for aa well....creating a community space to share this info so folks thAT appreciate the value and history of these items can get to them and rescue them from oblivion....good for all of you that managed to walk away with something....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-02-24 12:20 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bLOCKhEAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-24 1:21 pm   Permalink

My wife and I did a silly thing this moring we went back to the sale. My saving account took another hit.

We got this little guy, he is from the DC Trader Vic's and one 6 ft tiki that I will pick up tomorrow and few other samll items.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/baker1972/moretradervics002.jpg?t=1203887025

They still had lots of stuff today, ANd there was only a few people there this morning.I have to say the 3 young ladies selling this stuff are some of the nicest people I have met, very helpful with all our questions.
They said the the other trader vic's franchises didn't really know about the sale. They didn't know how much longer this sale would go on. sounded to me like it might close early, some of other trader vic's might want this stuff.

Sorry Bogielocks they still have the menu poster prints this morning, I didn't see your post until I got back today. If they still have em tomorrow I'll pick one up for ya .

[ This Message was edited by: bLOCKhEAD 2008-02-24 13:44 ]

View Profile of bLOCKhEAD Send a personal message to bLOCKhEAD  Email bLOCKhEAD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-24 1:51 pm   Permalink

I broke down and decided to go today. Probably a lot more chill than yesterday and they still had plenty of great things to blow your money on, even for the budget minded.
The big "helmet shell" bowls and rum barrel bowls were only $20 each. We also got some vintage portlight mugs with the gold on them. We also got a big box of superlong straws that will probably last us to the grave.
Definitely worth the trip!

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 1:59 pm   Permalink

Well, here I go again...

That Ku Tiki cannot have come from the Washington DC Trader Vic's because that location closed in 1995, and unless they opened and closed one in DC in recent years, this baby could not have stood there because it is a nouveaux Asian carving from the new millennium (just like the table lamps). I am not pointing this out to be mean, or because I am jealous, or a misanthropic old German, but because I am for "Truth in Tiki".

And I am perfectly fine with the fact that there are many people who do not give a mouse's popo if it's vintage Tiki or not, and by no means do I aim to diminish their enjoyment of any Tiki that they like for their own reasons. (For example, I really like that modern Moai that you got there earlier!)

And I heard that, though the stuff was not cheap, the prices were just, and my assessment of the sale as a whole is not negative, but very much like Tipsy's above: A great opportunity to have this stuff find appreciative homes!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bLOCKhEAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-24 2:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-24 13:59, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, here I go again...

That Ku Tiki cannot have come from the Washington DC Trader Vic's because that location closed in 1995, and unless they opened and closed one in DC in recent years, this baby could not have stood there because it is a nouveaux Asian carving from the new millennium (just like the table lamps). I am not pointing this out to be mean, or because I am jealous, or a misanthropic old German, but because I am for "Truth in Tiki".

And I am perfectly fine with the fact that there are many people who do not give a mouse's popo if it's vintage Tiki or not, and by no means do I aim to diminish their enjoyment of any Tiki that they like for their own reasons. (For example, I really like that modern Moai that you got there earlier!)

And I heard that, though the stuff was not cheap, the prices were just, and my assessment of the sale as a whole is not negative, but very much like Tipsy's above: A great opportunity to have this stuff find appreciative homes!

No worries bigbrotiki , I don't think your post was mean spirited. It really doesn't matter to me if he was in dc tv or not, I'm just telling what I was told by the seller.
I like this little guy and that's what counts and the price was right. we named the moai merv he is a bute. Now I need to build a new tiki hut cause the old one is to small for this stuff

Cheers mate

[ This Message was edited by: bLOCKhEAD 2008-02-24 14:42 ]

View Profile of bLOCKhEAD Send a personal message to bLOCKhEAD  Email bLOCKhEAD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 3:35 pm   Permalink

While some of the items were a little pricey, albeit worth every dime, the majority of these poles on the wall were selling for $200.00 each. From what I have seen sold locally here in Sacramento and on Flea-bay, $200.00 is a bargain.

Blockhead, did they say when they were thinking about stopping the sale? I need to get down there for another pole!

Thanks,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 4:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-24 08:48, Bogielocks wrote:
If anybody is going to the sale today and they still have the menu poster prints, can someone get me one. Please! I'd like one to hang in my Tiki room, and being a pc version, it would be ok to have around when my kids come over.

PM me if anyone is able to get one, and we can work out something from there.

Mahalo

Rick

I got you covered Rick! I picked up a couple today. PM me your address and it will be on it's way sometime this week.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation