FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki Caliente May 9th-May 11th 2008 in Palm Springs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Tiki Caliente May 9th-May 11th 2008 in Palm Springs
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-02 11:01 pm   Permalink

Ben, you troll'in this section for a reason?

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-02 11:18 pm   Permalink

Damn, I really look like that guy in the Jack Ruby assassination photo! ...or wait a minnit, I said that wrong, the Lee Harvey Oswald shooting (who by the way was paid by Castro, a fact that Johnson covered up). Oh well...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-02 23:24 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 10:01 am   Permalink

Peep's of Wildsville,
If you are interested in buying an original Doug Horne or Derek Yaniger piece of Art please contact them
so they can put you on a prewalk list. Doug's pieces for the show are already selling because of the demand from the show. I had a piece at my home in Palm Springs that was held for M Modern that is already sold because of someone contact Doug Directly.....same with Derek,who showed a piece on Tiki Blog.

This is the contact information you will need,to get a sneak-peek and a pre-sale if interested.

doughorne@cox.net

dyaniger@comcast.net

This will be the first time Derek Yaniger is doing a solo show and the first time Doug Horne is showing
all originals in a gallery........Doug already has 3 shows lined up after tiki caliente at gallery's in Florida,Chicago and California......

look forward to seeing you in the Springs!!!!!!!!!!

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville Man) Palm Springs Bartender Services

[ This Message was edited by: Wildsville man 2008-04-03 10:03 ]

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-04 09:56 am   Permalink

84-86 degrees in Palm Springs this weekend! Can't wait til May!!! I think we'll have to check it out this weekend~!

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 11:49 am   Permalink

If going THIS weekend, anybody into mid-century modernism might consider this great event tomorrow:

PS Modern Heritage Fund´s Modern Home Tour

What: All-day, self-driving tour of fabulous Modern homes with informative tour booklet and tour map
When: Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:00am - 5:00pm Last House 4pm - 6pm Wine and Cheese Reception
Cost: $125 per person via PayPal only at
www.PSModernHeritageFund.com

Wexler House, 1955, architect Donald Wexler's own home

Abernathy House ("The Pavilion House"), 1962, William F. Cody

John Porter Clark House, 1947, architect John Porter Clark's own home

Stewart/Dyer House, 1962, an Alexander home by architect Charles Dubois

Russell House, 1959, Frey designed pool and waterfall

Menrad House, 1958, Palmer & Krisel (architect William Krisel will be at the house to discuss his work)

Hurd House, 1966, Patten and Wild

Just added! Sieroty House, 1941, Albert Frey

I myself am to broke to do it this year, but the reason for the steep ticket price is that it is a fundraiser for a new strategy that PS Modcom is spearheading: To get into preservation on the right level, namely the political level, which usually is in the pocket of the big money developers. This is a worthy cause to contribute to:

"For the first time the Modern Home Tour is being produced as a fundraiser for a new entity, The Palm Springs Modern Heritage Fund, which is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization recently established to further the general welfare of the people of Palm Springs by bringing about civic betterment through the preservation of our Historic Modern Heritage. So, what is the difference between the Heritage Fund and PS ModCom? Unlike PS ModCom (a 501(c)(3) organization), the Heritage Fund (as a 501(c)(4)) IS allowed to establish a Political Action Committee (PAC) to endorse/support local political candidates. Please note that due to IRS regulations regarding 501(c)(4) organizations, tour tickets purchased for the Heritage Fund's Modern Home Tour are NOT tax deductible."

Those purchasing tickets after March 29 will receive an email containing the address of the first tour house where your name(s) will be on our Will Call list.

Also, check out this great exhibit:
http://www.psmuseum.org/exhibitions/current_exhibition.php?id=10

I have been on most of these tours in recent years, and it is a kick to be able to walk into these beautiful homes and see how people restored and furnished and landscaped them. Below a few pics from last year:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 1:15 pm   Permalink

Statement from Derek Yaniger about Tiki Caliente!!!!!!!!!

Howdy fellow Tiki Freaks! Hope all you Chicks n' Chucks are plannin' on makin' with the upcomin' tiki scene this May in Palm Springs. It's sure to be an ever-lovin' hoot AND a hollar! The Tiki Caliente show held at the legendary Caliente Tropics Hotel is a boney-fied "can't-miss-gotta' be there!" And that's not all!! You also get...the amazing Anniversary Tiki Art Show at the fabulous M Modern Gallery! I'm havin' my first-ever solo exhibition there opening on May 9th.....you just gotta' drop in and dig on all my newest scribbles n' splatters. I'll have 18 new paintings for ya' to eyeball as well as a brand spankin' new serigraph created exclusively for M Modern! Well, I gotta' make tracks, Max...... but I'm countin' on seein' all you cats and kittens real soonlike, ya' dig?

Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 1:42 pm   Permalink

Also..........I hate to post back-to-back but this is a must

I just opened my new entertainment weekly with Ellen on the cover and what do I see on page 51?
a naked guy at a tiki bar with a Doug Horne Grog mug next to him!!!!!!Doug must be very proud,this
is the kind of ad campaign swamp fire lounge needs to run.

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 10:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-05 13:42, Wildsville man wrote:
I just opened my new entertainment weekly with Ellen on the cover and what do I see on page 51?
a naked guy at a tiki bar with a Doug Horne Grog mug next to him!!!!!!

Let me get this straight

1. You like pictures of naked guys

2. You like B rum

3. You like JB

This is going to be a tough intervention

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 12:53 pm   Permalink

Peep's of Wildsville,
Also added to our Saturday Music will be the one and only TITUS!!!!!!
So come down to the Springs and enjoy a nice layed-back day at the pool with some great friends
and some Awesome tunes.

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

wildsville man

[ This Message was edited by: wildsville man 2008-04-07 14:15 ]

Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-07 10:45, Ojaitimo wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-04-05 13:42, Wildsville man wrote:
a naked guy at a tiki bar with a Doug Horne Grog mug next to him!!!!!!

Let me get this straight

1. You like pictures of naked guys

2. You like B rum

3. You like JB

This is going to be a tough intervention

As long as I can drink some Bacardi Ciclon at the intervention I will be on time!!!!!!
Otherwise just send the information to my e-mail and I will read it when I can!!!!

We got ourselfs about 65 tiki freaks waiting to be interviewed by you, so I hope you have some
great questions to ask.........Now can you Dig that?

Did you find out any more Sinatra history about the Tropics and the Celler?

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 2:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-08 10:25, Wildsville man wrote:

Did you find out any more Sinatra history about the Tropics and the Celler?

A lttle about Frank and the Rat Pack but nothing on the Cellar yet. I wrote a letter to the TNA to see what they know .

Wildsville Man as the first step you can find find at least ONE picture of the Cellar
What little I know of this place is thanks to Bigbro, Who lives 100 miles away. You are 10 feet away. You have no excuse! Dig?

I did hear why Peter Lawford became Persona Non Grata with the Rat Pack.
Frank helped JFK win the election by getting the Hollywood support.
Peter lawford was Kennedys brother in law and told Frank that Kennedy would visit, Frank built a new wing onto his home in Palm Springs and a helicopter pad for Kennedy who would never visit.
Kennedy avoided Frank, the Rat Pack avoided Lawford.

Ava Gardner and Frank have some interesting history in Palm Springs too.
Quote from Wikiapedia
Ava Gardner Soon after her arrival in Los Angeles, Gardner met fellow MGM contract player Mickey Rooney; they married on January 10, 1942 in Ballard, California. She was 19 years old. Gardner made several movies before 1946, but it wasn't until she starred in The Killers opposite Burt Lancaster, that she became known as a movie star and sex symbol. (Rooney and Gardner divorced in 1943, mainly because Rooney wouldn't give up his partying ways). Rooney later rhapsodized about Gardner's performance in bed, though upon hearing this Gardner retorted "Well, honey, he may have enjoyed the sex, but I sure as hell didn't." She once characterised their marriage as "Love Finds Andy Hardy".
Artie Shaw
Her second marriage was to jazz musician and band leader Artie Shaw, from 1945 to 1946 and it was even more disastrous than the first. It was during this marriage that Gardner began to drink and take refuge in therapy.
Frank Sinatra
Her third and last marriage (1951-1957) was to singer and actor Frank Sinatra.
Sinatra left his wife, Nancy, for Ava and their subsequent marriage made headlines. Sinatra was savaged by gossip columnists Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons, the Hollywood establishment, and by his fans for leaving his "good wife" for this exotic femme fatale. His career suffered, while Ava's prospered -- the headlines only solidified her sexy screen siren image. The marriage to Sinatra was stormy -- passionate fighting, jealousy, at least one suicide attempt (by Sinatra), and numerous separations.
Gardner used her considerable clout to get Sinatra cast in his Oscar-winning role in From Here to Eternity (1953). That role and the award revitalized both Sinatra's acting and singing careers. Ava said of her relationship with Sinatra, "We were great in bed. It was usually on the way to the bidet when the trouble began." (This quote inspired the song "Frank and Ava" by Suzanne Vega.) During their marriage Ava became pregnant, but she had an abortion due to the volatility of her marriage. She had always wanted children, but she said years later, "We couldn't even take care of ourselves. How were we going to take care of a baby?" Gardner and Sinatra remained good friends for the rest of her life.
Howard Hughes
She began dating billionaire aviator Howard Hughes in the early to mid-1940's, a relationship that lasted into the 1950's. Despite his initial claims that she would be an easy catch, they were never intimate.
Ernest Hemingway
She divorced Sinatra in 1957 and headed to Spain where her friendship with famed writer Ernest Hemingway led to her becoming a fan of bullfighting and bullfighters such as Luis Miguel González, with whom she had a tempestuous affair. "It was a sort of madness, honey," she said later of the time.
Final years
After a lifetime of smoking, Gardner suffered from emphysema, in addition to an autoimmune disorder (which may have been lupus). After two strokes in 1986, which left her partially paralyzed and bedridden, Frank Sinatra paid the cost of her ($50,000) medical expenses. Her last words (to her housekeeper Carmen), were, "I'm so tired", before she died of pneumonia at the age of 67. After her death, one of Frank Sinatra's daughters found him slumped in his room, crying, and unable to speak. Ava was not only the love of his life but also the inspiration for one of his most personal and magical songs, "I Am a Fool to Want You", recorded after their separation. Reportedly, a lone black limousine parked behind the crowd of 500 mourners at Ava's funeral. No one exited the vehicle, but it was assumed that the anonymous mourner was indeed Frank Sinatra. A floral arrangement at Ava's graveside simply read: "With My Love, Francis".

I also found a reference to Eva Gardner having a fight with someone in Palm Springs one night.

I‘m not sure where this took place or with whom but Eva got angry at her date, stripped and dove into a pool in front of shocked guests.

Remember! At least one picture of the Cellar and a shrubbery.

Your turn Wildsville. Quid Pro Quo

[ This Message was edited by: ojaitimo 2008-04-12 14:03 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-11 7:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-11 14:10, Ojaitimo wrote:

I‘m not sure where this took place or with whom but Eva got angry at her date, stripped and dove into a pool in front of shocked guests.

The place was Twin Palms (Frank Sinatra's house in Palm Springs) Here a pic of the pool:

Rumor has it... Sinatra got so upset he broke a bottle of Jack Daniels in the sink. You can stll see the crack that the bottle made.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 07:36 am   Permalink

Yes Mr S loved his Mr J!!!!!! There is alot of Rat Pack history at the twin palm home off of Alajo.
This is were the falling out between Frank and Lawford happened and yes,the frank Sinatra freak out with
JFK.......Frank helped JFK get the votes in Chicago with his mob connections and used his celebrity in California to help here.......but when JFK stayed at Bing Crosbys house instead of Franks that was it!!!!!
The reason I have read had to do with Sammy Davis Jr's marriage to white actress Mia Brit,JFK didn't want to get to close to that issue back in the 1960's!!!!!

I am still looking for more photo's of the cellar at the caliente tropics.

this is a great book to read on the subject of Frank Sinatra from Franks live in servant and friend.
(this book is the one that they based the movie "the rat pack" off of!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam Gambino will be doing an original piece of art for the M Modern show that is called "THE CELLAR"
I sent him the picture of the match book and some history and he is doing the rest!!!! some examples
of sames work!!!

I also added the Nancy piece because she lived at the Caliente Tropics for at least one summer!!!

SATURDAY NIGHT MAY 10th WE WILL USE HAWAIIAN BILL'S AT 11P.M. TO SUMMON THE SPIRITS OF FRANK/DEAN/SAMMY!!!
10:30 P.M. WE WILL BE PLAYING RATPACK MUSIC AND DRINKING FINE AGED RUM'S.....I ALSO BROUGHT IT A CIGAR GURU TO SELL AND EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENT CIGARS...

Nothing Say's RATPACK better then killing our self's with good old drinking and smoking!!!!

AT THE SAME TIME THE TIKI ROOM CRAWL WILL BE TAKING PLACE SO THERE IS STILL SOME OPTIONS!!!!

wildsville man

[ This Message was edited by: Wildsville man 2008-04-12 07:40 ]

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-14 06:19 am   Permalink

Wildsville Man ~ Do you have the schedule of events for Tiki-Caliente Weekend yet?

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-14 11:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-14 06:19, WooHooWahine wrote:
Wildsville Man ~ Do you have the schedule of events for Tiki-Caliente Weekend yet?

I will have a General Schedule up by the end of this week. Sorry for the wait,but this event thing is
is allot of calls and then waiting around to get replies. For me this is the only show I'm focused on, but
for most of the guy's they are so busy driving to Vegas or L.A. to think about May already. The General Schedule should do the job for you,but there will be more to come.................

This show will reek of awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT????????????

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation