FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Caliente May 9th-May 11th 2008 in Palm Springs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Tiki Caliente May 9th-May 11th 2008 in Palm Springs
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 6:08 pm   Permalink

Are we talking ROOT bowl? Because I wish I got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now can you dig that?

Now stop troll'in around,your becoming like Ben!!!!

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 6:44 pm   Permalink

Hey , you dont have to get shitty about it . .....hahaha

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 7:19 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to all the fun! Dani and Gogo

[ This Message was edited by: GO TIKI 2008-05-08 19:23 ]

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2008-05-08 7:34 pm   Permalink

Some more visitors to #135
Wildsville Man and The Rev Bamboo Ben

LLT and the Rev having a chat and acting coooooooool!

Is this the quiet before the storm?????

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 7:40 pm   Permalink

If I were to come out there on Sun.
do I have to buy a ticket for that?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2008-05-08 7:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-08 19:40, bigtikidude wrote:
If I were to come out there on Sun.
do I have to buy a ticket for that?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Dude????????? How many times do I have to tell you?????

NO!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 9:31 pm   Permalink

Wow! Great T-Shirts! Great People! I can't wait to see y'all Friday Nite!

Here's a few things I'll be bringin' with me to sell.

First Off, our beloved Sophista-Tiki is letting me sell her art again, so if ya missed out at Tiki Farm's P-Lot Sale, yer in luck Chuck! You have another chance to collect her fabulous art....

And then, our resident "keepin' it alive" Black Velvet Artist Robb Hamel has these totally bitchin' Originals that I'm selling for him...

And finally, here's my Witco-Style African Mask that still needs to find a happy home...

There's MUCH Much more that I'll post later if I get them done in time!

See ya there!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martini kings
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 09:35 am   Permalink

catch the martini kings live at caliente this sunday from 2pm till 5 pm!!
it's goin to be one fun time in palm springs!

View Profile of martini kings Send a personal message to martini kings  Email martini kings Goto the website of martini kings     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 09:51 am   Permalink

Im just loading the tiki truck with their new music playing in the background . Buy the CD, its classic !

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2008-05-09 12:09 pm   Permalink

When you order a mai-tai you get one of these souvenir cups!!!

Uh...NOT the one in the middle though!!!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 5:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-08 19:45, SoccerTiki wrote:

Dude????????? How many times do I have to tell you?????

NO!

sorry IM slow this week,
must have killled too many brain cells last weekend.
;-(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 5:55 pm   Permalink

Let's see some gooooood pictures. Looks like fun so far. Wish we were there.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2008-05-10 08:41 am   Permalink

WooHoo! What a weekend it has been so far. It's not too late for you to jump in your cars and head out to Tiki Caliente. This is an event you don't want to miss. Everyone is having a Blast!!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 11:36 am   Permalink

Wish I was there too, but I am far away. All I can contribute at this point is to continue my little history lesson I began here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=27233&forum=17&start=15

So, for those who bemoan the loss of the original Reef bar:

Though it was obviously a fine, Oceanic Arts equipped Tiki bar, it was NOT the original establishment that opened the Tropics Motel. Before there was The Reef, there was the CONGO ROOM Steak House...

Now...this must have been another fine watering hole for the modern primitive set, one might think. Not so! The interior designer that Ken Kimes hired for this hang out somehow had a vision of the Congo that was decidedly closer to "I Dream of Jeannie" Exotica than to African primitivism... or maybe he thought the Congo was in India:

As I can understand that this visual does seem incredulous, here is a close up of the view from the Congo Room onto the Tropics pool area that demonstrates the connection:

...with its classic SUNDRELLA pool umbrellas

And to further cement the claim of this odd environment having existed at the original Tropics, let's zoom into the bar area of that brochure photo. In the corner we can make out some wall hangings...

...that seem a little out of place. And indeed they were, being WITCO depictions of turn-of-the-century gas lamp posts!

What WERE they thinking !!? ...someone must have thought just that, as these frames were found during the Tropics' renovation, stashed behind the vending machine in the hallway to the Reef!.... and later given to me by new proprietor Casey in appreciation of the BOT inspiring the preservation of the Tropics' Tiki theme.

Last not least, to honor the artist who carved the original Tropics Tikis, here is a gallery of some of his fine carvings that are no more:

I really dug this one while it was still around the pool area.

Now last time I checked the one below was still around:

...but what has disappeared was the unique name plaque that, in small letters on the bottom, read "Carvings by Crissmann", a rare example of a mid-century Tiki artist actually getting credited for his work by name.

Good job Ed, and may the remains of your Tropics Tongue Tiki live on for many years more!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-05-10 22:46 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-11 03:23 am   Permalink

good lord thats horrendous, thanks for posting,

I will be out to Caliente tomorrow. well its actually today.
but I need a few hours sleep.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation