FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki What are the hanging lights called???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 ) Remove Highlighting
What are the hanging lights called???
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-13 3:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-13 15:10, JohnnyP wrote:
Try these,

Perfect! Thanks for the tip and the link!

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-09 12:24 pm   Permalink

I finally got around to drilling holes in my fishing floats, and installing lamp kits. You can see the results below. The red float drilled perfectly, but the larger blue float had much thinner glass and I cracked a small chunk off. Fortunately, I was able to glue it back without too much trouble.

I need to find a brighter bulb for the blue float, but otherwise, I'm extremely happy with the way they turned out.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-11-09 3:07 pm   Permalink

So I was just curious if you used the bit like the one in the picture w/ the link or did you go another route? I have a new cheaper 12" float that I would like to add a light too but have been scared about cracking it.. I can tell it's thinner glass than my vintage one..
Look Xlnt with all those masks and bamboo by the way... I hope to have the same
feel in the room I have when mine is finished..
thanks for any info...

[ This Message was edited by: beachbumz 2008-11-09 15:15 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-09 5:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-09 15:07, beachbumz wrote:
So I was just curious if you used the bit like the one in the picture w/ the link or did you go another route?

I used a 1-inch diamond hole saw bit like the one at the link, and held the floats underwater in a large sink while I drilled the holes. The trick is to use a variable-speed drill, then apply steady pressure while drilling at slow speed to prevent the float from cracking. I think the reason I cracked the large float is that I didn't realize that the glass was thinner, and I pressed the drill a little too hard.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-11-10 4:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks for that info, I think I'm going to order that bit and give it a try...

I post pics afterwards, hopefully it wont be a bunch of sea glass though...

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 4:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-10 16:11, beachbumz wrote:
Thanks for that info, I think I'm going to order that bit and give it a try...

Don't bother ordering it from Harbor Freight. They backordered mine for 3 weeks, then just cancelled the order without any notification, so I bought my bit at a local hardware store instead.
Quote:

I post pics afterwards, hopefully it wont be a bunch of sea glass though...

Good luck and drill slowly!

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-10 5:36 pm   Permalink

Hey guys float lamps look great, I forgot that I started this thread and I am glad that it has helped some and made other think about doing the same or similar. My lamps are now hanging in my bar and I will do more in the future, I now have the netting down so mabe some true floats for me next time and do it up right. Great job all!!!

You can see the floats in the front right and back left corner.

View Profile of TikiMeplus3 Send a personal message to TikiMeplus3  Email TikiMeplus3     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-11 05:51 am   Permalink

As a side note for any of you wanting really cool lighting options go to this web site and look thru the bulbs they have. Its overwhelming but you can find any bulb you want any color size or shape for reasonable prices, I have no tie's to this site I just found it while looking for colored bulbs. http://www.bulbtown.com/

View Profile of TikiMeplus3 Send a personal message to TikiMeplus3  Email TikiMeplus3     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 4:01 pm   Permalink

double

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2010-02-02 16:03 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 4:02 pm   Permalink

So I have been wanting to make my own float since I signed up on this site. Then I was feeling like I could go through with it back when this posting started two years ago. I knew I always could use a glazing globe and was waiting for the right globe to come along. After Chirstmas and there is a Christmas ornament thread that started I think this is the one right after I found a cheap globe. It is a after Christmas glass bulb and it was perfectly broke and no good to anyone but for me. I still had to pay the full price of a buck or two. Well that was over a year ago and I bought some cotton rope at the hardware store this past weekend and I knew even my worst try (fear of trying then) would still fulfill my wishes for tiki in Michigan.

The globe is a medium size red glass with a silver wash inside. Perfect. The info in this thread has got me 70 percent there, just need the to finish the top. Any help to make the top the right way. Hard to see tops in ball photos. Post or PM if you can. I like the dye idea there Tikiskip and will try on the next one. Plus I was thinking of letting the weather weather the ropes.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation