FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Your beachcombing stories...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Your beachcombing stories...
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 04:52 am   Permalink

This started on another thread, thought I'd maybe start a new one and see what stories are out there...

during a dream-fulfilling trip to Easter Island we were rock-hopping on a quiet part of the coast after doing some amazing snorkelling in some rockpools and close-to-shore reefs when I spotted a real, washed up fishing float amongst the rocks. Unfortunately it wasn't vintage, nor glass, but the thought of finding a real washed up float on the coast of an exotic pacific island was so amazing...

unfortunately this photo is the only souvenir I could take with me as I was backpacking through south america and this thing would have taken up too much precious room in my backpack!!! Would have been cool in my soon-to-be home tiki bar though...

and here is one from Beachbumz that I have copied from the other thread:

Quote:

On 2008-02-11 19:01, beachbumz wrote:

Here's my story.
About 14 years ago I was camping out near a beach called Wainapanapa black sand beach park near Hana on Maui, woke up early that morning to catch sunrise and ventured down to the beach and walla... Found a beautiful 12-14" greenish/blue float laying on the beach with heavy crustaceans around the middle part.. It looked like it had been floating out there for years...I had been wanting one of those since I had moved to the islands.. Later on I let a friend babysit it out on her lanai while I went travelin to indo for a few months and unfortunately while I was away somebody stole it... I just hope there enjoying it as much as I did..

so, any others???

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 05:16 am   Permalink

When I lived in Ireland we used to find loads of cool stuff, mainly dead, even a Giant squid, but it would have got rather smelly hanging in a Tiki bar.
The best though was a Whale bone that was roughly 14 feet long and a foot across washed up on some rocks in a big swell, i rushed back to the village I lived in to get some help moving it as it was so heavy, but when i got back the tide and swell had claimed it again.
Would have made a great table or bench

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JanetMermaid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 07:06 am   Permalink

Well, this isn't nearly as exotic as Easter Island or Maui, but we went to South Padre Island, Texas for my 50th birthday. (I'd rather have been on Kauai but budget and self-employment prevented that from happening.)

We spotted something bright among the mountains of seaweed -- this was only two months after Katrina and the beach was littered with flotsam. Turns out one of the oil platforms off the coast lost one of their life rings -- we looked it up by the ID printed on the side of the ring.

It's currently hanging on the fence in the backyard next to my koi pond. Soon it'll be at Tiki Acres hanging near my tiki bar.

View Profile of JanetMermaid Send a personal message to JanetMermaid  Goto the website of JanetMermaid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 07:08 am   Permalink

I posted this in the Tiki Radio thread, but thought I'd re-post it here:

Floating Treasures Capture Authors' Imaginations
LISTEN
NPR, All Things Considered, September 1, 2006 - Labor Day weekend is considered the start of the best flotsaming season where you might find untold surprises washed up on the beach. Author Skye Moody and children's book author and illustrator David Wiesner extol the virtues and glories of "floating debris."

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 2:22 pm   Permalink

Awoke at dawn. Everyone in the house was still sleeping it off. Half a beer on the kitchen table, took a swig. Awful. Cigarette butts, no wonder. Made my way down to the beach. Orange sunlight, like a Fu-Manchu album cover. Or John Denver. Something sticks me in the foot. Egads! Hypodermic needle, faded plastic nestled gently in the golden sand.

The needle in question now hangs proudly above my bar! Eight years and still AIDS-FREE! (Ladies?)

(THIS NEVER HAPPENED)

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 4:02 pm   Permalink

Passed out on the beach reached into my back pocket still had my comb!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 11:41 pm   Permalink

My sister found this:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-13 09:47 am   Permalink

good find!

how does it look hanging from her bar?

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-13 1:30 pm   Permalink

Read the whole story, and see more pictures like this

in Tiki Travel under "Castaway Kirsten Cargo Craft, Cape Horn":

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27345&forum=16&0

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-13 8:57 pm   Permalink

Great idea for a thread, Harro

I would love to find an orange life ring at the beach, but I have yet to be fortunate enough to find one. I think I may just break down and buy one! (or five)
My dog and I wake up early every morning and go for a walk on the beach and we find all kinds of stuff - mostly trash that washes down through the stormdrains, but we do find quite a few lobster trap bouys:

I didn't put much thought into the decorating, I just started hanging them as I found them and my back yard kind of turned into a nautical (very run-down) beach shack.

The absolute coolest thing I've so far is a 10' surfboard:

I am also very fortunate to live near where the Hedley's lived and I walk the very same coast that they did back in the 30's and 40's as they made their fortune with flotsam and jetsom. It's sad to think that all the cool usefull stuff that they found (wooden boxes, fishing flaots, cork floats) is now mostly plastic waste.

We also find boat bumpers, drift wood (natural wood), drift lumber, boat parts, pier pilings and other fishing industry stuff like plastic floats. Other non-fishing industry stuff I've come accross include things that kids like to chuck off of cliffs (like rusted bar-b-ques, bikes), engines (old VERY smooth engines - I know of at least 3 in the area), a truck axle (with 4 wheels and tires stiff attached) what appears to be either a very large old tree trunk, or a mast from a ship, fossils (tons of marine fossils along the coast) and (on a sad day) a 27 foot dead grey whale. I'd love to come across a shipwreck like yours, bigbro, but I have yet to find one of those! We do have an old shipwreck of a greek freighter (the Dominator) near the base of point vicente light house, but it wrecked in the 60's and all that's left now is bent metal. You wouldn't know it was a shipwreck just by looking at it. Still cool, though.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-15 9:55 pm   Permalink

Nice finds ......These pix are from our recent Kauai trip (see tiki travel)

On the road to some of the off the beaten path beaches we would see houses like this so we figured we were heading the right direction

Larsons beach

Mrs. Fury found a large suitcase in a thrift store on the way to Kiluea lighthouse for $5.00 so we could get our booty home

Unloaded

We felt we did our part to clean up the beach

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-16 12:39 pm   Permalink

Koka Nut and Palm Farmer Johnny and I were watching the kite surfers on St. Pete Skyway beach.

Found a dock pole of some kind. Had to have it.

Here it is at the entrance of The Rusty Key with the barnacles and pulley still attached. (Batman angle on the photo.) It's about 9 feet tall.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2008-02-16 12:40 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-16 1:34 pm   Permalink

Great Thread and lots of nice scores! Wow Bongofury, you guys made out nicely and left Kauai a little tidier, Good work! Great to see you guys I wish we could of spent a little more time hangin' out.

On the West side of Kauai near Port Allen there is a beach called Glass Beach that is near a dump. Lots of weird stuff washes up there mostly sea glass in fact the whole beach has glass sand. The cliffs have old cars and twisted metal that looks like they are part of the cliff. I have found some really nice pieces of Sea Glass there. I took my Mom and my Aunt out there and they went back a bunch of times. The funny thing is of all the beautiful beaches here on the island they spent hours at the beach by the dump.

I have found lots of fishing floats, bumpers, rope, coconuts and nice peices of driftwood all over the island. I have seen some nice collections of flotsam decorating some of the houses around here. No pics yet but here is a pic of the sand at Glass Beach

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-16 5:25 pm   Permalink

That sand is beautiful. It reminds me of one of those "magic eye" 3D pictures. I see a ninja fighting with an eagle.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EdsGoneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-17 12:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-16 17:25, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
That sand is beautiful. It reminds me of one of those "magic eye" 3D pictures. I see a ninja fighting with an eagle.

Yes the sand is beautiful. But Sweet Daddy Mother of Pearl, what are you smoking?
I'm seeing something totally different, and they're not ninjas...or eagles!

[ This Message was edited by: EdsGoneTiki 2008-02-17 00:31 ]

View Profile of EdsGoneTiki Send a personal message to EdsGoneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation