FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Your beachcombing stories...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Your beachcombing stories...
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-17 09:34 am   Permalink

My girlfriend Barbie gave me a whole case of crabs one night, on the beach in 1968.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-17 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-17 00:26, EdsGoneTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-02-16 17:25, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
That sand is beautiful. It reminds me of one of those "magic eye" 3D pictures. I see a ninja fighting with an eagle.

Yes the sand is beautiful. But Sweet Daddy Mother of Pearl, what are you smoking?
I'm seeing something totally different, and they're not ninjas...or eagles!

[ This Message was edited by: EdsGoneTiki 2008-02-17 00:31 ]

Nice floats!

LOL Tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: LOL Tiki 2008-02-17 10:27 ]

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 2:54 pm   Permalink

so....trying to get this topic back on track, I went to the gulf side of florida to do a little bit of beachcombing of another kind. I had heard a rumor about a beach where the sediment is comprised of fossilized sharks teeth (among other ground up bits of shell and whatever rock/coral is local). My brother-in-law reminded me while we were there and said that he thought it was close to where we were staying. So the whole fam piled into our cars and off we went!

We went to (of all places - you californians will laugh) Venice beach and went further south (to get away from the big crowds) to Caspersen Beach. We only had a short amount of time to hang at the beach, so we didn't walk far from the parking lot and started looking for fossil sharks teeth. I figured we wouldn't find any along the swash zone and shallow water, because TONS of people come here looking for sharks teeth. I thought for sure, you'd either have to scuba, snorkel or walk a fair distance from the parking lot to find any. We tried anyway....

looking for sharks teeth......

sure enough....it's true! Now, not every hand full of sand contains sharks teeth, but we found about 100 (among all of us) within about 2 hours of digging. And this was where everyone else was looking for teeth too. I can only imagine the types of teeth and the amount you could find in an area that is a little less accessible.

I'm usually not the type of guy to take shells and rocks from beaches, but I had to break my rule and take a few home with me....and share the experience with my work mates.

by the way, because I wanted to make sure that it was okay to take the teeth from the beach, I did a little research on what is permissible to collect from Florida beaches without a license and fossilized shark teeth (along with shells) are legal to take.

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-03 14:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-15 14:37 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 3:35 pm   Permalink

Back at home, here in good ol' Pedro. Here is this years haul of fishing crap:

This year had some amazing storms during the lobster season and I had the misfortune of having to be at work early on just about every morning the day after the storm. Which means other beachcombers got some good stuff! There were a few mornings and afternoons that I was able to head over to the rocky coast and find some goodies in addition to the every morning my faithful border collie and myself walk the sandy beach and occasionally find something washed up.
Most of what I find are lobster buoy's or similar floats for lobster fishing. Occasionally I find bumpers and whatnot too. I just like the peace of walking the coast. You really feel like your miles away from everything. Any usable trash I come across is just icing on the cake (and one less piece of garbage to entangle animals)

This year I dragged a metal lobster trap home with me:

and a crab net too:

I actually found a crab net in real good shape and I gave it to my boss at the aquarium because he runs a free "fishing with uncle larry" class that teaches the basics and etiquette if fishing. Now we can catch crabs too. (HAH!)

I usually like to walk where very few people go. In such a busy, crowded and loud city I like to "get away" as much as I can and hiking along the coast is a great way to do that. I decided to bring along a camera the last time I went down, so I snapped a few photos of the fun things along the coast. Aside from the floats and whatnot, there are some other interesting finds along the coast as well:

Engines:

See if you can find the 2 engines in this picture:

Truck axle:

washing machine? :

A Float in the wild:

-----Natural wonders-----

SP at a decent low tide (around a -.03):

Sedimentary rock erodes very easily:

I surprised these sun bathing harbor seals (and they surprised me! I kept my distance because I didn't want to startle them into the water. They just watched me the entire time as I walked by. I'm just a temporary visitor!):

and finally this picture:

I walk by this "log" a lot and got to thinking...sure is a big log...with no creasote or preservatives on it....sure is perfectly round (and the ocean most likely has something to do with that), but could this be the mast that the Headly family is sitting on in the Life Magazine picture? Maybe Ben can chime in.

Enjoy!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 5:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing Jim. I love these stories. But it makes me miss the beach, the sand on my feet, the wind, the waves. sigh.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 5:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-03 17:49, Jungle Trader wrote:
Thanks for sharing Jim. I love these stories. But it makes me miss the beach, the sand on my feet, the wind, the waves. sigh.

Awwwww....Jungle....you can always hit the Stanislaus River......

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 10:52 pm   Permalink

Polynesiac, thanks for sharing all the great pictures and stories!

Beachcombing is great fun, and there is a new adventure around every point.

While I don't have the ocean, the Great Lakes combined shoreline is 9,402 miles.

The shoreline of the lake I live on, Lake Michigan, has a combined length of 1,659 miles including islands.

In the city I live in, you can walk the shore for miles in either direction.

With a surface area of 22,278 mi, there are all kinds of interesting flotsam that you can find along the beaches and rocks.

Boat bumpers, barrels, fishnets, buoys... all kinds of stuff floating around.

We're approaching the yearly melt off, when the shore ice leaves to reveal all that the late fall and winter storm waves threw onto the beaches.

In a few weeks, I'll share what I find!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 02:22 am   Permalink

this is a great thread, a great read, has brought up a lot of joyous memories of my youth spent on the shore and boardwalk in Redondo. I remember collecting a lot of small fishing floats (plastic bobbers) of the rock jetties.

[ This Message was edited by: oceaotica 2009-03-04 02:25 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 07:39 am   Permalink

After 20 years of bouncing around as a wandering poet/SCUBA Instructor living out of a duffel and a Dive bag, moving by airplane, I don't have much to show for all my days spent wandering the beaches.

I did get to see/find some pretty cool stuff but it would all get left at the Dive Bum House's where we would be living, most of those looked like a Beachcomber Bar on the inside from years of travelers bringing home stuff they couldn't take. Come to think of it most of them were Beachcomber Bars...
ahhh the memories....

Part of my shell collection, a bit of drift wood and a nail I pulled from a ship that was uncovered during a hurricane on Bimini (noone I asked knew how long it had been there) the newspaper cliping is from all places the Kansas City Star.

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-03-04 07:40 ]

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 10:54 am   Permalink

My best beachcombing story happened 2 summers ago. I was playing frisbee on the beach with a neighbor when i saw a Budweiser beer can floating in the whitewash. I went to go retrieve it because trash on the beach really pisses me off. As i grabbed it i realized it was full and unopened. Thank you Lord! I threw it up on the beach with plans to deal with it later. About 3-4 minutes later i saw 2 more Budweiser cans floating towards the beach, i grabbed them and they were also full and unopened. Then 2 more! Then 3 more! I was looking around for the hidden camera thinking Budweiser was filming some reality commercial or something. In the end i had 9 beers. So i put them in a bag, took them home put them in the refrigerator and handed them out to my friends on the 4th of July. We toasted to the beer Gods that had bestowed them upon us and probably the poor fisherman that dumped his cooler overboard.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 05:23 am   Permalink

As long as I can remember I always wanted to be a Beachcomber, this is my favorite place to beachcomb its the two mile of beach that surrounds my parents hill in Orkney. I went this walk last year on an unseasonably sunny two hours of daylight last winter.

looking back towards my parents house, around that beach head, over that mounds of seaweed, a hundred years ago all that seaweed would have been an important cash crop for an Orcadian crofter.

In the background you can see the hills of Hoy, malt drinkers might recognize them from the packaging of Highland Park Whisky.

This is the "Point of Ayre" where two currents meet and throw up loads of drift and plastic crap. The tower in the picture is a WW2 searchlight emplacement.

Is it a sea-monster? No its a rotting seal, the salmon farmers are allowed to kill seals that are "troubling" their farms, so they shoot them and let them float off to rot.

The white bit with rusting rings attached is the remainder of the anchor point to a massive metal anti-submarine net that protected the royal navy anchorage during WW2.

This is the second searchlight.

Notice where the steps meets the side of the searchlight wall, you can see a black square, that's the famous "Hole-in-the-head" a cave where the men of my family hid from pressgangs way back in the past.

That's the third searchlight and it marks the outer boundary of our land..

..it has a really cool bridge joining it to the hill..

..and the beach beside it is another place the gathers drift, some wood and floats. When I lived at home I was expected by my father to bring them all home, so he could reuse them on his creels.

A bit further along, if you look closely you can see more bouys and my parents dog.

In the far distance you can see some cottages and that was the extent of how far I'd beachcomb every night after school as a teenager. This is another good beach for drift, I've found ancient glass bouys, weather balloons instrument pods, bales of rubber, intact giant light bulbs and wood from sunken ships on this beach.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marty

Posted: 2009-03-15 1:01 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Marty 2009-03-15 16:11 ]

View Profile of Marty Send a personal message to Marty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-15 2:33 pm   Permalink

Great pics and stories everyone!!! keep 'em coming!

ATT - your parents have a beautiful setup. I've always admired the scottish countryside, but I have yet to visit some of that beautiful coastline. Thank you for sharing the history and interesting finds you happened accross everyday (!) after school!!! Too cool!!!

Just a little FYI to all of us on US soil who happen upon a deceased marine mammal.
here is a link to the Marine Mammal Protection Act:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/laws/mmpa.pdf

Shells, exposed fossils of fish and inverts, rocks, etc. (as long as the coast line is not a protected area - check with fish and game before you go). The removal of any trash (this includes sea glass, broken plates, fishing industry waste like floats, nets, anchors, etc) are perfectly fine from any beach. Dead marine mammals and all their bits need to stay. If you see one washed up on a public beach, let the lifeguards know and they will drag the carcass back to the ocean to decompose (or sometimes bury it - but don't try to use dynamite to get rid of it! watch this old video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_t44siFyb4 ).

Marine mammal bones and teeth are very cool, and their are a number of locations that sell replica bones like:
http://www.boneclones.com/
http://www.boneroom.com/casts/bclonemarine.html
These replicas are perfectly legal to own and add to carvings and whatnot.

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-15 14:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-15 17:21 ]

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 9:40 pm   Permalink

Saturday night into Sunday we got nailed with a pretty hefty Spring snowstorm.

8 inches of heavy wet snow and gale force winds out of the North going Northwest.

Waves nearshore were cranking at chest high plus, and perfectly groomed by the side shore to offshore winds.

After clearing our driveways, the sun came out and made the 39 degree air temp and the 36 degree water temp that much more bearable.

Surfs Up!

We hit up a favorite surf spot that hasn't worked in a few years and found long clean lines.

As I walked down the bluff trail something orange by the rock piles caught my eye.

A buoy!

Gave it a quick look before I paddled out to get some waves, with the intention of grabbing the buoy on the way out.

After riding a wave into shore, I took the walk north due to the current running side shore.

I found a nearly new boat anchor tangled in some driftwood.

Washed that off and hid it in the rocks so no one else wandering the beach would find it.

After the session, my friend Todd asked me if I had seen the anchor. I had to give it up to him as he spotted it first and tossed it on the beach.

He did help me drag the very heavy buoy up the bluff trail after I dug it out from the rocks. I wasn't aware that it had a 50 lb concrete weight on the bottom of it to keep it righted in the water.

15 minutes later we got it loaded into my mini van and I brought it home.

The buoy itself is about 4 feet or so long.

I plan on cutting the pipe off the bottom and setting it out in a corner of the yard with some fish netting.

Its pretty beat up from a winter of heavy ice and big surf, but it will make a nice addition to the yard.

Based on today's finds, I think I'll hit up another section of coast Monday and see what the winter waves have tossed ashore!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-03-29 21:43 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 10:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-03 14:54, Polynesiac wrote:

We went to (of all places - you californians will laugh) Venice beach
looking for sharks teeth......
You mean Venus?

That's an insane catch!
If those teeth could talk.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation