FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Your beachcombing stories...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Your beachcombing stories...
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-29 11:34 pm   Permalink

You go lake! everyone needs a navigational buoy in their yard! Nice find, that must have been a bitch to bring back to the car after a days session in 30-some-odd-degree-that's-way-too-damn-cold-to-go-surfing water. If you found an anchor and a buoy on one day, just think of what you'll find once the ice and snow melts!

Unga - We found the fossilized sharks teeth at the "shark tooth capitol of the worls" in venice beach FL-
http://www.venicegov.com/

It's on the gulf side, maybe about 1.5-2 hours south of Tampa. The actual beach we went to was Casperson beach. fun times! do a road trip to the gulf if you go down for hukilau - it's totally worth it!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-29 23:35 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 03:54 am   Permalink

i found a coral encrusted slave shackle washed up on a beach in the caribbean once, it was cool and sucked at the same time.

View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seafog

Posted: 2009-03-30 09:49 am   Permalink

I found this small bottle this morning while beachcombing for seaglass. Does anyone know what it is?

http://tikiroom.com/img/10435x49d0f7a9.jpg

View Profile of seafog Send a personal message to seafog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2009-03-30 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-30 09:49, seafog wrote:
I found this small bottle this morning while beachcombing for seaglass. Does anyone know what it is?

http://tikiroom.com/img/10435x49d0f7a9.jpg

Hey Seafoam - it looks like a bottle top to me - like one off of one of those fancy crystal burbon caraffes - , but I could be wrong. I see you're from tampa bay - these little white barnacles that are on it seem to grow like CRAZY in the inland gulf area around tampa and south.

tiki auction, you got any pics?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 11:43 am   Permalink

Not my personal find...
The Surfrider foundation pulled five tons of fish nets, floats and rope from Kauai's eastern shore in two years of collection.
It seems to be a lot of the plastic type and not the older stuff that would be worth keeping. Anyways it is off to the recycling plant and off of the beaches.

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2009-03-30 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-30 11:43, tikihai wrote:
Not my personal find...
The Surfrider foundation pulled five tons of fish nets, floats and rope from Kauai's eastern shore in two years of collection.
It seems to be a lot of the plastic type and not the older stuff that would be worth keeping. Anyways it is off to the recycling plant and off of the beaches.

You're right, plastics are really filling up our oceans and are a major concern. Everything from fishing industry waste right down to plastic one-use containers that come down our storm drain systems. And plastic is forever - it just breaks into smaller and smaller bits until it's microscopic plastic. I see you're in so cal, I highly recommend viewing a documentary called "the synthetic sea" (we have it in our marine research library at
Cabrillo Marine Aquarium) and check out this website: http://www.algalita.org/ Lots of good (and scary/sad) information there.

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-30 12:23 ]

tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 5:14 pm   Permalink

Good stuff there Polynesiac...I was semi aware of the plastic problem and gave up bottled water a couple years back just for the reason that a lot of it makes its way into the ocean. I ride my bike up the San Gabriel River path and it is very sad to see all the milk cartons, water bottles and styrofoam cups etc. that washes down into the ocean after every rain. I will try and check out that film as well.

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 6:45 pm   Permalink

Still real cold here, but the sun was out and I had the afternoon free.

I headed to some stretches of the south shore to do some serious beachcombing hoping for a score like Sunday.

I headed out north on a stretch of beach and found a rare (for here) fish net float.

There is barely any commercial net fishing here these days.

Next I drove to another stretch of shoreline and headed out south this time.

Not much to find besides driftwood and tons of plastic bottles and trash, until I got to a storm drain outfall.

Up against the corner of the drain was this great buoy.

It was in real good shape with a solar powered light still intact. I checked out back now that it is dark... the light is blinking on and off... it actually works.
The buoy was made of closed cell foam and no big chunks missing.

Like the previous one I found, this one also had a long piece of pipe that ran through the middle and extended 4 feet beyond the bottom of the buoy. The end section had a steel loop that was once connected to a chain or something on the bottom of the lake.

It was too large and heavy to carry back to my vehicle, especially up the 300 foot bluff above the beach. Below the light was a large nut on a bolt. It was my hope that if I too the nut off the whole steel pipe would slide out of the core.

I returned home to get some tools... monkey wrenches, WD40, a torch.

This stretch of coast was parkland and the closest parking was a 1/4 mile away. I also brought rope and a handtruck to help with the job.

Back at the buoy, I managed to get the light off, then loosened the main nut and as I hoped the whole thing came apart in 2 pieces.
I loaded the light and the metal piece it sits on into my backpack and started the journey back carrying the top cone.

Not an easy journey back up the bluff with all this weight, and the bottom half would prove to be more exhausting on a second trip. It weighed about 50 lbs.
I returned with the hand truck, left it at the top and carried the bottom piece up the bluff. Then I used the hand truck to wheel it back to my vehicle.

Whew.

The whole salvage took about 2 hours total.

Not bad, 2 buoys in 2 days. Must have been a hell of a winter out there on the big lake, I know it was inland.

I need a break from beachcombing... my back is killing me.

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-03-30 23:26 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 11:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-29 23:34, Polynesiac wrote:
You go lake! everyone needs a navigational buoy in their yard! Nice find, that must have been a bitch to bring back to the car after a days session in 30-some-odd-degree-that's-way-too-damn-cold-to-go-surfing water. If you found an anchor and a buoy on one day, just think of what you'll find once the ice and snow melts!

Well, Jim, now I've got two.

The wife has warned me not to turn our home into a salvage yard.

As far as the surfing, yea its too damn cold, but here we make the best of it.

Gale warnings issued for Tuesday again... looks like another session!

We're actually rid of the ice from the lake finally, this winter it extended out 100-200 yards in spots and built to a height of 12 feet above the water.
The snow, well that's hanging on a bit too long this year... more is on the way Friday.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-31 06:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

[
tiki auction, you got any pics?

it was a couple of years ago, let me see if i can still find a shot of it. it was one of those things that i pulled out from behind some boulder at the beach and said cool what is it. it had a hoop and a bolt that ran straight across. the metal was almost entirely replaced by coral growth, but you could still make out parts of the exposed cast iron. i remember putting my wrist through the hoop, realized what it was and felt a chill down my spine. wanted to throw it back in the ocean, but ended up giving it to my father in law who was born and raised in the caribbean. not sure what he did with it, i think he gave it to the local museum. later saw an exhibit that had a very similar shackle.

View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 8:05 pm   Permalink

Found this on north Clearwater Beach, FL, just south of Caladessi. The wife and I take a stroll every now and then. Mostly we get lots of sand dollars and fighting conch shells. Tonight was cool, got some good pictures. Too bad I am unable to take them home

This is a shell tree. We paid our tribute and added one, as it looks like many people did.

Close up of the shell tree.

Found this guy a mile down from the tree. I dig the use of shells for the eyes and teeth. Unknown artist. Not totally tiki, but much appreciated.

Also found this.....sometimes you just need a reminder it's there

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs Bamboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 9:22 pm   Permalink

This is a shell tree. We paid our tribute and added one, as it looks like many people did.

Maybe it's the pre-4th red wine, but that shell tree is really cool. There are very few areas left that allow something so beautiful to remain without harm. Long live the shell tree.

Cheers!

View Profile of Mrs Bamboo Send a personal message to Mrs Bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bahama Don
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-07 8:42 pm   Permalink

If you like the Shell tree, you'll love the Bouy tree!!! Thats right, a seagrape tree festooned with loads of bouys! This tree is in a front yard of a house on Man-O-War Cay in the Bahamas, but they are common in alot of the island settlements. In the old days it was done to ward off the evil spirits as a form of Obeah (Voodoo). We have done several trees in our yard in bouys, and they look really cool!

View Profile of Bahama Don Send a personal message to Bahama Don      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs Bamboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-07 9:07 pm   Permalink

Love the bouy seagrape too. I just love anything that can be built and left alone. I'll try one on our beach and see how long it lasts.

View Profile of Mrs Bamboo Send a personal message to Mrs Bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-08 04:33 am   Permalink

I was strolling (trying to jog) down the beach yesterday, and came across the remains of a sea turtle. It looked as though it had been hit by a shark a long time ago. There was a nice crescent-shaped bite, and the area from its left armpit to above its right rear fin was missing. The shell was totally trashed, and the meat was mostly gone. What remained was its perfect skull, which was bigger than both of my fists! I know you are suppose to call the authorities when you encounter something like this in Florida, but I didn't have my cell phone with me. It was still pretty early in the morning, around 7:15am, and by the time I returned (about 15mins) someone had removed the skull! I hope the authorities catch up to that person, being a protected animal and all.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2009-08-23 20:44 ]

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation