FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Your beachcombing stories...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Your beachcombing stories...
coruscate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-08 09:50 am   Permalink

Porthole window, verde gris patina on the bronze, about 9 inches in diameter, found off the coast of Northern California.

I like to think it was from rum runners who barely made it to shore with their cargo.....

"Save yourselves, save the rum! screamed the captain through the fog as the sharks circled the leaking ship before he drove it, the crew and the cargo to safety on the only pocket beach between miles of jagged cliffs."

It will become a mirror or picture frame for the Tiki-Lander.

Now, off to find that Japanese glass float.

[ This Message was edited by: coruscate 2009-07-08 09:52 ]

View Profile of coruscate Send a personal message to coruscate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-10 11:15 am   Permalink

I use to run a surf school during the summers when I was finishing college and I was never a morning person until we had to get to the beach at 8am and I would find all sorts of stuff that had washed ashore overnight. Most wasn't that interesting, but I found a lot of good driftwood planks, but the most rare for me was the fish floats. One time I even found my own Tiki Necklace that I had lost the day before in the tide line.

Below are a few things I plan on making out of driftwood if I'm able to finish all the other new stuff for Tiki Oasis:

The Tiki bird is made from all driftwood beachcombed:

And below is one of my characters dreaming up what he can make from the beachcombed items he finds.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-23 5:21 pm   Permalink

Tony - I love the drawings! Very Hedley-Beachcomber-chic! I like how you've painted your lobster floats. That makes them look much cooler.

C - port hole???? that's TOO cool. I think I would jump for joy if I found something like that on the beach.

I got 3 pictures of recent trips that included a wee bit o' beach walking.

The Lost Coast, CA:

One of the most spectacular coastal areas I have ever been to (I do say that a lot, but I mean it everytime!). The beach at times is strewn with redwood drift wood and the redwoods come right down the cliff to the beach. We decided to do about a 5 mile day hike down the black sand beach starting at Shelter Cove. There were a few people at the trail head on the beach, but once we left that area we didn't see a soul. We had the entire beach to ourselves sharing only with sea lions and ospreys. I'm definitely coming back to backpack along the coast here.

Here we are walking the sand:

And hey! it's not so big, but I found a plastic Japanese fishing float. I'm sure there would be more during the winter months:

Gloucster, MA:

East Coast lobster float. Check out the low tide! I never checked a tide calendar, but that's a pretty big difference between high and low tide!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-08-23 17:24 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 7:31 pm   Permalink

Nice work, Poly... nice shirt, too. I'm wearin' the same one today!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-16 1:48 pm   Permalink

Back visiting my parents up in Orkney this week and look what I found..

..a six foot long chunk of pier, to heavy to move and no time to carve it. What I'm more annoyed at not getting too is the bones of whale on an island across from the house.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 10:12 am   Permalink

Hope I'm not going too off topic. But these are some of my favorite shipwreck photos. Hey, beachcombing stuff needs to come from somewhere.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-20 7:33 pm   Permalink

A little off topic but still cool, many moons ago on a cliff above the rugged Northern California coast I found an arrowhead. I stupidly gave it to a boyfriend.

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 05:19 am   Permalink

The last time I went beach combing I found this-

Can you believe someone left a perfectly good 6" gun just laying out on the beach like that? And to think just to the right there was another one!

Unfortunately they where a bit too big to drag back to my room so I just left them where they were.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2010-03-16 4:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha!
Here are a few pictures of what I've found beachcombing along the 'pedro coast here in So Cal. As lobster season closes, and the storms subside, we won't see as much crap wash up. Ive taken pictures of some of the cooler things that I've found this season (please excuse the quality of these pictures as most of them were taken with my iPhone):

A shot of some of my beachcombing finds before the major storms started:

After the storms started, I went down one morning in light rain, walked a short section of rocky coast that is pretty inaccessible and found these:

there was more, but I had to leave them because I couldn't carry them all!!!!

A few shots of how I find the floats washed up:

A crab pot float I found on our trip to Florida this year:

One of the more interesting things I've found this year was this "little" fella that appears to be a votive figure of some sort:

He totally freaked the wife out...so I brought him to work!

And this last one I can't lay claim to, but a buddy of mine at the aquarium found this when we were out fossil hunting in the tidepools:

Can you say "evidence"? I knew that you could...

I still have a few stretches of coastline I haven't walked yet this year, so if I find more, I'll post it!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-16 10:22 pm   Permalink

Great finds Jim!

As the commercial fishing industry here has really dies out, there are not any net floats washing up.

The Winter ice piles on the shore have melted and left much flotsam and jetsam, but 2 hours of walking hidden shores didn't score me much today but a good piece of driftwood.

I have another stretch of coast to check Wednesday, maybe that will reveal some treasures.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2010-03-17 06:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-16 22:22, Lake Surfer wrote:
I have another stretch of coast to check Wednesday, maybe that will reveal some treasures.

More blinking buoys!!!!

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 10:39 am   Permalink

Spent last week beach combing and exploring the shoreline of Cape Ann, MA between Gloucester and Rockport. Lot's of lobster traps tossed up on the rocks and wedged into jetties. Couldn't find any in decent shape but I did find some trap buoys in the rocks. Storm season looks to be the best time to collect on the beaches as the local residents' yards are filled with collected buoys, many in much better shape then I found.

Some bait bags and nets from lobster traps also, but my best find was a 9 foot net buoy that I freed from some rocks in the surf zone.

They'll all be added to the yard decor today!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-07-08 10:41 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-08 11:10 am   Permalink

(I'm a dork, I posted on the wrong thread )

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-07-08 11:12 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2010-07-17 1:29 pm   Permalink

Great finds lake! That area of Massachusetts and up through maine is strewn with cool nautical crap - I'm glad that you found some to take home and add to your collection! For maritime and fishing history, that is one awesome place to go.
Next time you're out CA way, we should walk the coast!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-17 1:41 pm   Permalink

Found this back in 1975 on the Oregon Coast and dragged it all the way home and have had it ever since. Looks like a dolphin! My folks almost left it with the house when they sold it, but I rescued it and now it resides on my front porch. Fond memories.

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation