[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Castaway Kirsten Cargo Craft, Cape Horn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Castaway Kirsten Cargo Craft, Cape Horn
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-15 10:35 pm   Permalink

I think this counts as one of the stranger thread on TC, from shipwrecks to pipes. I spotted these Marquesan pipes when I was image searching...

Its a pity the British Pipesmokers' Council doesn't do
Pipe Smoker of the Year anymore, we could have campaigned to get Sven the honour.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-16 08:00 am   Permalink

I appreciate that. But I have to admit that, as it turned out, I am not really a pipe smoker. When I discovered the Kirsten pipe, I really dug the whole "Hamburg immigrant turned aeronautics engineer inventing a pipe" history, and the beauty of the object, so I thought smoking a Kirsten while sipping some rum could become a hobby. But, having never smoked all my life, I just couldn't get into the habit. Here is my only live attempt to incorporate the pipe into my public "author" persona, but I dropped the gimmick shortly after that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITQxEjcvzPA&feature=related

I take the first puff in mid-clip, and then valiantly try to keep it glowing, but I am sure the seasoned pipe smoker can see that I am a poser.

A Benzart-carved TIKI pipe bowl for my Kirsten though would increase its mana to such a degree that I would certainly smoke it on special occasions!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-03-16 08:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 11:14 am   Permalink

Aloha Benzart and Torch Guy, how is the Kirsten pipe Tiki bowl project coming along?
In hopes it is, Sven

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-07-21 2:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

In 1963, he even published an autobiography, "Wanderer", detailing his ocean adventures as well as his regret for cooperating with the House Un-American Activities Commission during the McCarthy era."

Hayden's "Wanderer" is an outstanding read (as is his novel), but his HUAC association is a minor sidetrack. It's actually an account of his pre-film sailing life and an "up-yours" escape with his children (whose Mom he didn't bother to brief about the trip), and a reflection on his disappointments with women and Hollywood. It's a glimpse into the life & mindset of an unapologetic & unrestrained male, and I can't recommend it highly enough: it's one of my all-time favorite books.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-27 8:03 pm   Permalink

Spotted on ebay..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VTG-RARE-KIRSTEN-ALUMINIUM-TOBACCO-PIPE-CLEANER-BOX-INSTRUCTIONS-ESTATE-FIND-USA-/171555005314?pt=AU_Tobacciana_Collectables&hash=item27f179a382

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiShipman

Posted: 2015-02-01 09:02 am   Permalink

I have a Kirsten pipe! I just bought it yesterday from an antique shop, and only just today discovered this Kirsten pipe thread. Coincidence or what!

Here is me and tiki with our Kirsten pipe.

I only just started entering into the world of pipe smoking 2 years ago and find it a really fun hobby. It naturally ties into my love of the mid century modern era, although the history of pipes dates back a couple thousand years. I love the marriage of tiki and pipe smoking, especially if I can include carved tiki pipes into my collection! So YES, Sven, I'm all in if Kirsten or even any other pipe maker could start creating tiki pipe designs. And thank you Sven for your fantastic research and inspiration.

View Profile of TikiShipman Send a personal message to TikiShipman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation