FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Complete Tiki Spain
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Complete Tiki Spain
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-14 02:23 am   Permalink

From the Oceania book by Jean Guiart:

226. Nuevas Hebridas, sur de Malekula. Mascara de helecho arborescente. Basilea

Z

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-14 02:32 am   Permalink

From my bookshelf:

Mid 1960's

Z

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-14 02:36 am   Permalink

The book:

227. Nuevas Hebridas, sur de Malekula. M.A.A.O. Paris.

Z

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-14 02:41 am   Permalink

The mug.

Z

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-14 02:50 am   Permalink

The book: Oceania Por Jean Guiart

94. Nuevas Hebridas, Sur de Malekula. Figuritas "temes nevinbur". Musee de l'Homme, Paris.

Z

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-14 02:53 am   Permalink

From my collection:

This is NOT a Porcelanas Pavon mug. This is Vintage. Bigger, better, older...

Z

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-17 3:28 pm   Permalink

Is it...Arte 4 ?

Zeta, nobody seems to be as excited about your posts as I am, so here I go:

Those Spanish designers sure liked that New Hebrides art, going further out there than many of the American mug makers of the mid-century. Here is another one from the book:

Nr. 215 New Hebrides, West-Ambrym, Large Slit Drum, Basel

But they also took the other culture group's designs, like for the giant Maori mug, the big Hawaiian wicker head, and the yellow Chicago Field Museum Tami mask mug from this book. Here is another one, harder to pinpoint, because the mug makers (unfortunately) altered the heads somewhat:

Nr. 399 Hawaiian Islands, Bracelet, Honolulu
-It was made from turtle shell. There is a better, color photo of it in one of the big new Oceanic art books, but I almost like those B&W photos better, they seem more graphic.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-23 2:49 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-07-17 15:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Is it...Arte 4 ?
Zeta, nobody seems to be as excited about your posts as I am, so here I go:

bigbrotiki: It's not Arte 4, it's before that. The mug I showed above is at least 40 years old. Signed on the bottom by a different manufacturer.
I think people do get excited about my posts, they just don't have anything to add.

Sven: I can't wait much longer for your answer.

Z

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 5:13 pm   Permalink

I also get very excited each time you two post pictures here. I need to stop collecting mugs because I have too many already, it is a pleasure to see all these mugs that I don't have and their design connection to all the old artifacts.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 9:01 pm   Permalink

Thank you! I was trying to get some other folks' reaction so it wouldn't just be a ping pong between me and Zeta (as much as I enjoy it). I was actually hoping Tiki Nomad might post some matching close up scans from his menu collection:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25132&forum=5

I apologize, Zeta, I am bad that way....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 07:50 am   Permalink

I love this thread!! I wish the Spanish mugs were easier to obtain. I wish I could afford a trip to Spain. I was glad to be able to attend "Bigbros" spainish mug unvailing party a few years ago. I bought 4 mugs then. I am drooling over here.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blue.octopus
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-07-25 1:35 pm   Permalink

This is a very interesting thread - I especially like the way you two are also providing the original source illustrations.

Question - do these ever come on on eBay Spanish site? any good search tips?

View Profile of blue.octopus Send a personal message to blue.octopus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-03 3:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-24 07:50, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I love this thread!! I wish the Spanish mugs were easier to obtain. I wish I could afford a trip to Spain. I was glad to be able to attend "Bigbros" spainish mug unvailing party a few years ago. I bought 4 mugs then. I am drooling over here.

Mahalo Sperm Whale! I'm glad you love this thread. I'll keep writing as long as you keep reading.
I'm also glad that Spanish mugs are NOT eazy to obtain because that make them more misterioso and rare.

Why don't you show some pictures of that "Bigbros" event and the 4 mugs you bought too.
I don't have any Kon-Id mugs myself but I have a friend in Madrid who bought one near Toledo. I like the Kon-Id logo on the bottom.

Picture by Sven A. Kirsten
Those mugs were made in Spain, therefore, part of the complete Spanish Tiki History.

Bigbrotiki? how many Kon-Id (Spanish) mugs were produced ?
Can you tell us more more about the subject ?

Aloha Oe

Z

[ This Message was edited by: Zeta 2008-08-03 16:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: zeta 2008-08-03 17:54 ]

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-03 3:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-25 13:35, blue.octopus wrote:
This is a very interesting thread - I especially like the way you two are also providing the original source illustrations.

Question - do these ever come on on eBay Spanish site? any good search tips?

Thank you blue.octopus I like the original source illustrations too. It's amazing what you can learn from books. I was very surprised when I made the connection.

Answer to your question - This mugs never come out on ebay Spanish site. The only search tip I can give you is to come to Spain and look in antique stores or flea markets, that's the way I found mine and the only way I know.

Z

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-04 01:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-23 17:13, hiltiki wrote:
I also get very excited each time you two post pictures here. I need to stop collecting mugs because I have too many already, it is a pleasure to see all these mugs that I don't have and their design connection to all the old artifacts.

Thank you hiltiki, I'm glad you like my pictures. I understand what you mean about stop collecting mugs, because I also have too many already, but when I find a never seen before vintage Spanish tiki mug in the wild, I can't let it go. I must have it to preserve it because it's probably the only time I'll ever see the piece. Many of the mugs from my collection are one of a kind, unique, last of it's species.

There is more than 250 different original vintage Spanish Tiki mug designs that I know about. Many more that I don't know about (yet) and designs that are lost forever without ever being properly documented.
Later on this thread I'll post some pictures of some never seen before vintage Spanish tiki mugs.
Here's a quote from this thread
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25869&forum=5 by Tikinomad on vintage Spanish tiki mugs with great pictures of menus from his collection:

Quote:

On 2007-10-07 08:50, Tikinomad wrote:
Top five Spanish mugs/glasses I'm currently hunting for.........

Ma halo for looking!

Mahalo to Tikinomad for the pictures ! I agree with Bigbrotiki, Tikinomad, please post some more pictures here.

To close this post, I'm going to quote another famous Spanish Tiki Worshiper.

"I don't search, I find !" - Pablo Picasso -

Salud! (Cheers! in Spanish)

Z

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation