FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 06:13 am   Permalink

Good God no! Airbrush has done SO much damage to so many forms of art. On it's own, sold as "Airbrush Art," it's amazing... but don't mix it with other forms!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 09:23 am   Permalink

But, doesn't it come down to how the artist uses the technique?

Lot's of air-brush does looks cheap/amateurish, but some are certainly quite exceptional, and I would think it to be a perfect pairing, at least for some creative aspects.

I've not tried it on velvet and don't know how compatible it will be.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 4:34 pm   Permalink

msteeln, there's lotsa great airbrush art out there, I guess I have bad flashbacks of all those sci-fi and fantasy paintings over the years that just used cheesy airbrush effects so the artist didn't have to blend his paint.

I think it could look great if done right, but velvet is a tough lover: you have to stroke it just right or you get nothing. If similer effects are quickly achieved with an airbruch, every t-shirt airbrush artist who ever worked at a kiosk in a mall could mass produce paintings like wild. Then history repeats itself and velvet again becomes a tacky medium for cranked-out art.

If, on the other hand, an artist of unique vision creates heretofore unseen and dynamic images, then we all will benefit as fans of tiki art.

Here's the one painting I've done that is meant to capture the spirit of '70's velvet just before the crash:

"Godlight"

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 5:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-27 16:34, Robb Hamel wrote:
msteeln, there's lotsa great airbrush art out there, I guess I have bad flashbacks of all those sci-fi and fantasy paintings over the years that just used cheesy airbrush effects so the artist didn't have to blend his paint.

I think it could look great if done right, but velvet is a tough lover: you have to stroke it just right or you get nothing. If similer effects are quickly achieved with an airbruch, every t-shirt airbrush artist who ever worked at a kiosk in a mall could mass produce paintings like wild. Then history repeats itself and velvet again becomes a tacky medium for cranked-out art.

If, on the other hand, an artist of unique vision creates heretofore unseen and dynamic images, then we all will benefit as fans of tiki art.

Here's the one painting I've done that is meant to capture the spirit of '70's velvet just before the crash:

"Godlight"

History will repeat itself unfortunately and then it will all pass away again and something else will be in vogue. Round and around we go. Just do what you love, forget the rest.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 10:30 am   Permalink

Great response, Robb, thank you!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 11:05 am   Permalink

I think HR Giger turned out to be the greatest artist of the Twentieth Century and He was an airbrush artist.

My second choice would be Roger Dean.

Anybody else have a "greatest artist" choice that the Establishment would frown upon?

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-28 12:32 pm   Permalink

Don't ask a question like that. You're going to derail your own thread. (Unless you don't mind it being derailed for a bit.)

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 12:58 pm   Permalink

Roger Dean Rocks!
so does Frazetta and Rodney matthews...
"God light" looks great! all those rays just punching a hole in the clouds!
Glad to see you like to try new things,even 70's velvet kitsch!
Someone you turn it all into Fine Art!
keep em coming Robb!
it's a pleasure to see your creations!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:23 pm   Permalink

Man, I'd love to see real Frazetta's on velvet.
Classic's like Big Daddy Roth & R. Crumb

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 3:02 pm   Permalink

Grog - lay it on me. Might be a breath of fresh air. How 'bout Chris Foss, anyone?

Llt - you're too nice. I'll do my best to keep crankin'. I looked at some lowbrow art books this past week and I think I'd buy a book of your work before I'd buy the afraid-to-experiment, imitate-themselves-to-death artists I saw.

Msteeln - I'd like to capture a little of Frazetta's energy in my work. Not copy his style, just some of his vitality.

This is an older one, the smallest velvet painting I've done, about 5x8 inches.

Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 3:55 pm   Permalink

WOW that is cool for being so small! Great work as always! Any chance you will be at the event in Columbus? Would love to sit and have a drink with you.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-06-03 5:05 pm   Permalink

Why do tikis always look like they got kicked in the nuts or are taking a dump?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 12:40 am   Permalink

Grog, you're the man, ahah !

Very nice Ku painting by the way Robb. Splendid.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 08:02 am   Permalink

Thanks Virani, it was a fun piece for a coworker without much of a budget.

Grog... good Lord!

Kahu, I think it's about time that I go to a Moai event. I checked out the Myspace page, do you have any good links you can give me?

Virani contacted me a while back about purchasing my second Tiki painting called "The Forgotten one." The painting had sold last year and had been my overall most popular, despite my attempts to top it:

"The Forgotten One"

The first painting was a one-of-a-kind, so I decided to do a "sequel" painting - similar but an evolution of the first. Also, it was designed to be part of a limited edition of four. Virani has #1. #2 will be at the Hukilau.

I started working on the design right after finishing "Kapu Cave" for the wonderful Hiphipahula.

Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Kahu, I think it's about time that I go to a Moai event. I checked out the Myspace page, do you have any good links you can give me?

PM sent.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation