FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-16 9:21 pm   Permalink

Robb, you are a painter of light - kind of a Thomas Kinkade of tikidom (I know some people don't care for TK for various reasons , but I mean that as a compliment) I haven't seen "Near Waikani" posted here, I'm sure the TCers would appreciate it.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 07:15 am   Permalink

Hopefully he will get to it once he recovers from Hukilau!

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-17 11:14 am   Permalink

killer atmosphere and mystery!

love it!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-18 05:16 am   Permalink

Mesmerizing....

Woah~ I could stare at your work for hours...

View Profile of Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! Send a personal message to Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!  Goto the website of Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 06:14 am   Permalink

Thank you Sneakytiki (is the Tikiyaki Orchestra song of the same name about you?), Lee, and Dawn. MadDogMike, I know how to take the "Painter of Light" comment because I've been searching my whole life for a way to do just that - I just never once thought it would be on velvet! Kahu, see below. Thanks BigToe (is there a story behind your name?). Marina, you work at the Hukilau was far more awesome than any mere paint stuck to velvet could ever be... Wow!

Here's the other work I had at the Hukilau:

"Huon Tiki Vista"

A very cool member of FOM bought this in the first half hour of the show, beating out three other people I saw looking for Harold Golen to buy it. The weirdest part is that I found out he lives near me!

"Near Waikani"

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 06:31 am   Permalink

Back to "The Forgotten Valley of Nuku Hiva." I had been asked if "The Forgotten One" was still available, but it wasn't. I got motivated to produce a sequel by a story Virani told me about his honeymoon.

Virani: would you describe your experience, please?

A note about this painting being a limited edition of four:

In my own, very biased opinion this painting is worth more than I'm charging for it (because of the huge amount of developement involved). If I do a limited edition, I'm spreading the work out over several paintings, and I get to share the image I've created with more people.

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-06-18 06:45 ]

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 06:31, Robb Hamel wrote:

Virani: would you describe your experience, please?

Certainly.
Some of you may remember, back in 2004, I made a small description of my honeymoon to the Marquesas islands on TC. Here's the
link to it (although, I don't understand now why the pics are not working. Ideas anyone ? I'll try to fix that later.

So, I took a freighter called the Aranui in Papeete, Tahiti with my wife for 15 days of travel in the Pacific, stopping on every islands of the marquesas archipel. And that was the most fantastic experience of my life.

Now, when I saw the original painting of Robb, it made me think of a particular day, when, with a few other tourists and a guide, on Nuku Hiva, we climbed a big hill, full of mango trees (on wich I hurt my nose), to arrive on a valley, where was hidden some tikis such as the one he painted. It was fantastic to be there, with nothing else around, it seems those tikis where forgotten in the luxuriant vegetation, with herbs growing on them, and with a fantastic view over the island. Now, there was no lake at this place, or waterfall, but it looks so nice on Robb painting.
That was the best day of the trip.

[ This Message was edited by: virani 2008-06-18 10:16 ]

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arttard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-18 10:46 am   Permalink

it was a pleasure meeting you. your work is an inspiration i just got a chance to really view the thread and i dont think my chin came off the table once, truly amazing work! hope to see you again and much more of your work take care.

jd

View Profile of arttard Send a personal message to arttard  Email arttard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 05:47 am   Permalink

Thanks Virani, sounds like a real dream honeymoon to me. Thanks Arttard (for those who don't know, Arttard is a hell of a tattoo artist).

Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 07:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 06:14, Robb Hamel wrote:

"Huon Tiki Vista"

A very cool member of FOM bought this in the first half hour of the show, beating out three other people I saw looking for Harold Golen to buy it. The weirdest part is that I found out he lives near me!

I heard, he is showing it off big time! I also heard they are looking forward to you coming to a meet and greet. I knew if I could get you in touch with them you would have a blast. Again hope to get with you at the Hot Rod Hula Hop in Aug. And keep those paintings coming!

[ This Message was edited by: kahu 2008-06-21 22:55 ]

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 2:59 pm   Permalink

Robb, I'd buy a book of your paintings in a second. Simply great paintings to just get 'lost' in. Especially for us daydreamers.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 3:43 pm   Permalink

Mr. PuPu! Where on earth have you been? It's good you're back. I'll have to slide over to your thread to see if you've added anything....

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 4:06 pm   Permalink

IMPROVISATIONAL ART

I've had a sketch for this painting since April but couldn't figure out how to make the image work.

Against common sense I decided to WING IT!

I started painting in my gazebo at sunrise.

The first strokes on the moon. I used a reference photo so that it is accurate.

The moon is roughed in. Dust from being outside is already obvious.

My approach to doing moonlight is a lot like that of Chesley Bonestell, the greatest astronomical artist ever. His technique came from advice from fellow artist Charles Rollo Peters. I've always had good luck with moonlight, but this is my first time trying the approach these long-gone artists developed.

What I don't know is how to translate all this to a moai without making it look cartoonish or like it is made from the wrong kind of stone....

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-07-12 05:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-10-19 16:56 ]

tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-25 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 06:14, Robb Hamel wrote:
Thank you Sneakytiki (is the Tikiyaki Orchestra song of the same name about you?), Lee, and Dawn. MadDogMike, I know how to take the "Painter of Light" comment because I've been searching my whole life for a way to do just that - I just never once thought it would be on velvet! Kahu, see below. Thanks BigToe (is there a story behind your name?). Marina, you work at the Hukilau was far more awesome than any mere paint stuck to velvet could ever be... Wow!

Here's the other work I had at the Hukilau:

"Huon Tiki Vista"

"Near Waikani"

This "Near Waikani" painting just kills me. Amazing. In person it was really something to behold....bad lighting or not. Seeing these Velvets in person is just awesome....you keep seeing things in the dark..it's almost like you have to wait until your eyes adjust to see things...like you would if your were trying to see in the dark.

As look at the painting longer, your eyes adjust to the painting, you keep seeing things...I love that.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-25 4:26 pm   Permalink

Midnite at the Moai is looking great! Is that your left hand you're painting with?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation