FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-09 11:20 pm   Permalink

Robb, I like the lights in the background. House on a hill overlooking the city? It amazes me the amount of planning that goes into a painting! I thought you just started slapping paint on a canvas (or velvet), I guess that's why my few attempts at painting have been utter failures!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 12:16 am   Permalink

Aloha!

I know that alot of you Robb Hamel fans out there would just LOVE to own one of his unique Original paintings on velvet, but are afraid that they are just too expensive for you to ever own one.

WELL THINK AGAIN!!!

Robb & I have one more of the edition of four Originals of his "Sleeping Sentinel" available for sale...

As most of you know, Robb's gorgeous Originals now go for $600 and are destined to continue climbing as his popularity and exposure in galleries nationwide continues.

This Original painting on black velvet is offered here for it's original price of $299, which INCLUDES shipping and packing materials to U.S. destinations. Foreign shipping will be higher; please ask for a quote. If you will be at Tiki Oasis, I can bring it to you and save you the $$ on shipping.

This will be your last chance to "get in on the ground floor" of Tiki-dom's newest and most wonderful black velvet artist, and collect Robb's art at this low price. Don't miss out; P.M. me today!

Mahaloz!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 04:40 am   Permalink

MadDogMike - the architectural stuff takes so much planning that a six-week vacation on Paris Island sounds better....

Lee - good god!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 01:51 am   Permalink

Robb-
The website is Bee-Yootyiful!!! What "afforadble and user-friendly" software did you use? I just may have to pick yer brain so I can build a website too!
Great Job!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 3:37 pm   Permalink

Dawn Frasier turned me on to Yahoo Sitebuilder. She's right: just about anybody can use it. A couple of frustrating spots and WHAP! - a website is born. It's cheap too. Give me a buzz if you need help of any kind.

Thanks for liking the 'site.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 6:30 pm   Permalink

Due to a mixup, my painting "Tiki Vignette 1", which sold at Tiki Freakout, has become available again.

It is still at the Light Gallery. It had a line of people wanting it, sold, and became re-available when it was swapped for my other piece.

It is three feet high, a foot and a half wide, and requires no frame. The price is $475, and it is possibly the coolest thing I've done up till now... waddya think?

Contact Wildsville man, or ETseven (they're on the Freakout thread, of course).

Here's the pic:

www.robbhamel.com

Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 7:08 pm   Permalink

This piece is AWESOME!!!!!!! This was the piece that Sold Pre-show and had everyone wishing they got it first. Then Person who purchased it came to pick it up in person and decided to purchase Robb's larger piece instead.....probably because it was featured in O.C. Weekly.

If you are interested let us know A.S.A.P........... The Light Gallery is having a new show this weekend and will have it displayed for the surf crowd.
Also,if you CANDYASSES don't buy it,WIldsville Man will add this to his growing Tiki art collection

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-22 12:27 am   Permalink

Wow, beautiful awesome work at a REALLY great price!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jared

Posted: 2008-09-04 09:39 am   Permalink

Great looking work!

I remember you guys talking about an online supplier for velvet...did that place work out?

Any suggestions for stretching...it seems when I photograph some of my work, a more' pattern (the funky pattern that occurs when two grids intersect at irregular angles) appears at the edges where I have stretched the velvet...of course, that only happens when I am adjusting the photo on the computer (i.e. the pattern is not visible "in the flesh") can this be avoided?

View Profile of Jared Send a personal message to Jared  Email Jared Goto the website of Jared     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-14 08:59 am   Permalink

Jared - I haven't had a moire problem before, I bet it is just how that fabric photographs.

I've been testing my velvets very hard all summer, and I've picked a velvet called "Upholstry Velvet" carried by Velvets Etc. in Jersey - 973-379-4272 (Ted, the owner, will pick up).

It's a poly/cotton blend made in Mexico (the capital of velvet painting!), and is amazingly resistant to fading. It's also affordable at about $19/yd (I used to pay about $28/yd before). It has a little sheen and is tough to photograph, but looks great in person. My old fabric was excellent, but this one even beat out samples of very old fabrics I tested from when they used to use horribly toxic materials in dyes. All of my Tiki Mag show stuff was done on this fabric.

I'm hoping people either buy this fabric or test their own, because we don't need to be creating work that doesn't last.

Black velvet art that embraces the darkest side of Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-09-14 09:21 ]

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-14 09:03 am   Permalink

TIKIMAGSHOW!TIKIMAGSHOW!TIKIMAGSHOW!TIKIMAGSHOW!TIKIMAGSHOW!TIKIMAGSHOW!

I finally have pics of my Tiki Mag Show work on my website! I wanted to post them here, but there is no time. I'll post 'em here later, but if you want to look at them now, click the link below!

Sorry I haven't been posting these as they're created, but the time just hasn't been there.

I hope you enjoy them, one nearly killed me!

Robb

Black velvet art that embraces the darkest side of Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-09-14 09:25 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-14 09:29 am   Permalink

Robb, we haven't seen you in a while! I love the green palm leaves on the Tiki vignette 2.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-14 10:28 am   Permalink

I want a Robb Hamel painting on the cover of a tiki magazine.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 10:22 am   Permalink

Mike: thanks for noticing! I've been insanely busy with my new paintings for the Tiki Mag Show and one other I'm keeping under wraps right now.

Virani: Me too! I've working on magazine cover designs right now - as an excersize only.

www.robbhamel.com

Jared

Posted: 2008-09-15 10:58 am   Permalink

Robb, thanks for the tip. I'll be calling NJ today...(kinda funny to think that velvet made in Mexico, goes to New Jersey and then gets painted in California...I'll shorten the loop a bit, by sending it to nearby DC)

I don't know if fading is as much of an issue for the velvet painter...I mean, sunlight is the worst culprit for fading, and hopefully these paintings are going to be enshrined in a dark, windowless tiki bar! (perhaps that is why "the basement" has preserved so many vintage velvet paintings...)

great to hear you have a cover in the works, cant wait too see what you have up your sleeve next!

View Profile of Jared Send a personal message to Jared  Email Jared Goto the website of Jared     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation