FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-14 7:58 pm   Permalink

Thor - them's some inspiring words, coming from the maestro! Your new piece is too wild for words.

I'm digging these micro-velvets and have squeezed out another'n. This was a requested piece - I hope the requester likes it enough to take it home!

"Turanguna Fireworks" 8x10 - oil - velvet mounted to bristol board.

This piece was seriously fun to do and is very luminous... with some light on it it jumps off the velvet.

Black velvet tiki art...
needs more blood.

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-10-23 16:59 ]

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-14 8:17 pm   Permalink

That looks great!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-14 8:26 pm   Permalink

Robb I love your velvet pieces so much....the dark mood is just enchanting

can't wait to see more

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sleestak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-14 8:48 pm   Permalink

cant wait to hang it in the finknook! looks ripping style!!. stoked man mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: sleestak 2008-10-14 20:49 ]

View Profile of sleestak Send a personal message to sleestak  Email sleestak Goto the website of sleestak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-15 09:15 am   Permalink

BAM!!!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-15 09:20 am   Permalink

ROBB's ON FIYAH!!!!!!
and you actually had FUN doing it!
Hope you at least sign the back of this new one!
Keep em rollin Robb!
I can see a whole series evolving out of this!
Plus you can always translate these bigger later on!
FIYAH!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-15 5:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks a bunch Hewey and Ravenne. I love comments about the mood. I live for MOOD.

Sleetstak, you've gotta send a good pic of it hanging for me, no one does that. Wait'll you see it in person!

I think I understand Grogese... THANKS!

Ken, it was honestly fun to do.... I feel terrible for forgetting to sign yours and to write something nice on the back. Thanks for rubbing it in! Here's how it makes me feel:

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-15 5:35 pm   Permalink

Blah, blah,blah. Less talk. more art.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-15 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-15 17:35, GROG wrote:
Blah, blah,blah. Less talk. more art.

yeah yeah....
hey ernie!
let's see you stand by THAT credo!

Robb-anytime my friend!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-16 05:25 am   Permalink

HEy Robb!! I have some artist to artist questions for ya!! I mentioned I have dabbled in this medium a bit a few years ago...I did like 3 and they did sell well in the gallery ,I recall. They were small.. I was torn between using acryic and oil. Both worked well but I have heard some artists have strong opinions about both. Here are my questions:

1. What do you find is the advantage of oils ?

2. If oils are your choice...doesn't the drying time hinder progress time wise a bit if needing to layer color to build more opacity??

3. Have you ever tried using a medium (like "Liquin") to speed drying time in the oils or does a medium destroy the opacity and make the paint too dull on the black nap?

Oh...If I missed you answering these questions somewhere in this thread already, my apologies, just send me to the page number!

As an artist as well...I often prefer to immediately think in terms of light. One of the first things I have to do in planning a painting is determine my light sources and create them in the subject. I also tend to paint a lot of stuff that has a warm light source and a cool one on the other side of subjects. I notice you do this as well, which is also in line with a lot of the traditional velvets of days past. Keep up the AWESOME work Robb. I enjoy following your thread very much!

[ This Message was edited by: thor's 2008-10-16 06:40 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 8:22 pm   Permalink

Grog/LLT: don't go dukin' it, yous guys - we'll have peace on my thread if I gotta CLOBBERS the both 'a ya. Grog, close your eyes, here's a lot more talk....

Thor: thanks for the too terrific comments. The answers are:

1. Oils give the time to do blending - that part is clear - but there is a special blend of oils I use that give effects that I'm not sure can be duplicated with acrylics. I've only begun to learn how to get some of these effects but am on the path. Long-term experimentation is the war, paintings are the individual battles.

2. Building opacity with oils is satanically difficult. I've discovered a number of cheats for doing it sorta quickly, but I still have to deal with insomnia sometimes wondering if something is going to work out.

3. Mediums don't seem to do much with the exact way I work. Everything for me comes down to pigments.

Pigments are alchemy and learning/earning extremely hard-core, sometimes centuries-old techniques for dealing with them is the key to me. The Macdonalds I-want-it-now approach works reverse to how my brain is wired.

Again, I'm just getting rolling, but I can see the direction to walk (not drive) for my destination.

My ultimate goal with all this is to create MOOD, through the recreation of the effects of LIGHT. Thor, you obviously focus on the same - I cannot believe how well you deal with 6 or more sources of light. Wow.

www.robbhamel.com

THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-18 07:40 am   Permalink

Thanks Robb!!

I will post as I start to experiment more. I need to see more velvet paintings up close...of all types, older an newer like Yours and Heather Watts' I am not sure what the most is I can expect out of velvet. Right now, I am tending to want to be too much of a perfectionist and need to just jump into this full swing. Keep paintin' !

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 12:23 am   Permalink

Framed and Hung. I don't have a proper spotlight yet so I illuminated him with a Mag-Lite.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-22 02:08 am   Permalink

Great Frame, love the painting and what I can see of this room.. Show us more..

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 08:16 am   Permalink

it looks so much more powerful with that thick grainy frame...
and very dramatic on the wall...
you should keep this one!
or sell it for a MILLION DOLLARS!
who knows? you might get it....

my secret dream is to see a wall FULL of Robb mini-velvets
in an exhibition in the Louvre!
not really...
but it would be cool!

more.Sir!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation