FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-30 6:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks all my bruddahs. We'll have to see if any of these turn out to be canary paper in the end.

Here is an X-mas present that I never expected:

It's the ultimate Tiki mug: Ken Ruzics Pupule!!!

Does it look awesome on my shelf or what?

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-30 9:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha Rob!!

I have not been on here nearly enough. Great stuff!!! I did a thread a few years ago on pastels...though not a lot of Tiki subjects at that time. Hewey was experimenting then too. I have a bunch since that are more Tiki oriented..but my problem was always the best way to frame and preserve them. I asked a bunch of established pastel artists who do these all the time and predictably, they recommended not spray fixing ANY pastels because it destroyed the subtle aspects of the medium . Also, floated mounts where there is a museum glass protecting the art yet never touching it is the class A way to preserve and display these gems. GREAT stuff!! Happy New Year my friend!!

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 07:39 am   Permalink

It's ALIVE!! Great composition Rob! You are sooo the man!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 4:31 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

I've really enjoyed your thread. Great work!
Got my eye on a few pieces and would like
to inquire about purchasing one.
Please email info (what's available,payment,etc...)
to
jason@fluffshop.com

Mahalo!

www.fluffshop.com

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 5:57 pm   Permalink

Thor - thanks for the advice, as always.

Babalu - thanks, but I've seen your mugs: YOU ARE DA MAN!

Iokona Ki'i - thanks trunkloads. The info is on the way.

Mahalo to all and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It makes me nervous to show how crude my roughed-in work looks, so please don't judge these yet!

I added a tinsy bit to this one, but the whole thing is still scary crude.

The jungle scene is started with just a blob.

You can at least see where things'll be, but these could still be cacti!

At least this looks like a sketch.

I feel like I'm showing my improve process from TOO EARLY A STAGE! This whole thing makes me have performance anxiety!!!

Be safe and happy in your New Year partying!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 7:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-31 17:57, Robb Hamel wrote:
I feel like I'm showing my improve process from TOO EARLY A STAGE! This whole thing makes me have performance anxiety!!!

Well its much appreciated mate Loving it

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 09:56 am   Permalink

thanks for sharing your secret process Robb!
Now where can we order the Hamel brain and hands
to pull this awesome stuff off?

Cleopatra Jones!
Shelly winters is a Lesbian Criminal Queenpin in it!

MO' FROS!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 7:03 pm   Permalink

Oh boy, Robb! Can't wait to see your pastels completed... if they're anything like your other pastels, they'll pretty much kick ass!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 07:53 am   Permalink

Hewey, LLT, Tobunga: thanks guys, you encourage me in my hour of need!

I'm trying to get back to creating, but my dad just had a heart attack and I was in a car wreck!!! The New Year has to get better than this!

www.robbhamel.com

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 8:48 pm   Permalink

Dang Rob,

Real sorry to hear about your Pop...I hope he's jumping back in the fray now. Just keep painting...buy a bigger car...protect thy self!

The sketches are looking great man...you really have a great eye for compostion.

Take care!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 08:38 am   Permalink

Thanks very much Babalu. He needs a little more work but he'll be okay.

I've done a little bit of work on these two:

I did a little work here, at least her face looks okay and the Tiki is starting to take form.

I put some light on the hull of the ship and punched up the contrast in the foreground waves.

www.robbhamel.com

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-05 3:07 pm   Permalink

That's one fierce looking storm! Does the canoe get warriors or is it adrift?

I recommend about a '68 Dodge Powerwagon, those are practically indistructable

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 6:02 pm   Permalink

Sorry about your bad news mate! I had a similar crappy start to last year, but it definitely ended on a high

The art is looking sweeeet my man! LOVING the stormy sea scene! Im thinking it needs just one solo warrior paddling out - why is he out here in this weather, what possesed him to do such a thing? To me black velvet and pastels like this are ALL about mood and atmosphere, and this one has it in SPADES already

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 08:01 am   Permalink

that boat pastel is totally coming to life!
that wave breaking in the back
just adds to the tension and power!
the mark of a true artist...

and that hot afro mama
needs to be a black light poster!
on velvet,of course!

TOP SHELF,Robb!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 09:21 am   Permalink

diggin the progress pics. I know everyone says that, but really its informative AND entertaining. thanks for sharing the process of how you build a piece. so simple with such a great impact. The positive/negative space and the obvious direction of light source is easily discernible when dealing with the all green or all blue pieces. Its just the kind of explaining my brain can digest.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation