FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 12:02 pm   Permalink

Robb,
Once again you amaze!! That painting of the tiki with just the smallest hint of light is fantastic. Its so minimal. I love how you don't really see the tiki, but only the faintest of slivers of light on it. It lets the viewer fill in the tiki how THEY would imagine it looking! Its very dramatic!! And the boat on the sea is simply awesome. The color and lighting makes it look like a tiki ghost ship.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 12:20 pm   Permalink

They are even more stunning when viewed in person!!!

It was nice to see Robb's new work before going to the Polynesian Fire last weekend.

Keep up the fantastic work!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 08:04 am   Permalink

the canoe is looking awesome,Robb!
the waves andempty boat add to the sense of dread!
and the prow is magnificent!
you ROCK the ROLL,my friend!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 6:31 pm   Permalink

MadDog, I believe you are on to something about these guys!

Digitiki, I can't tell you how happy I am about how tuned in you are to what I'm desperately trying to do. Keep your hammers flying my friend.

Jeff, it was a real blast to hang out with all of you guys... even better than the show, and the show was very good.

Ken, you are the rocker around these parts, we all know that: quality & quantity. I'm jealous.

Here's the completed velvet:

"Tiki Still 1" - 11x14 - velvet mounted to bristol board.

It has the boring name because I want to do a series of still lifes of just tikis with a simple background.

Check out my website or your

mom will beat you!

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2009-02-11 18:37 ]

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 6:47 pm   Permalink

Here's a new SKETCH. It's meant to be quick and fun and tiki-free!!!

I did this sitting at a Witco bar set at the Daddy Katz shop in Dayton.

I just thought: I should've taken a pic of the bar! Damn!!

Now this is what you call a ROUGH beginning! The barely visible black and white printouts are very valuable pics I took last year at the Hukilau.

At this point the sketch is about halfway done.

Check out my website or my

mom will beat everybody!

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2009-02-12 16:43 ]

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 8:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks for showing us all how you lay this color down and attack this black sheet...these pictures are worth a thousand words. Right On!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 12:51 pm   Permalink

Nice!
The Tiki Still turned out reeeeal cool!
All solid and stately-like!
And thanks for sharing how you build these up...
Priceless information there!
Any chance of throwing in
a sexy skinnydipper
with a huge afro?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 4:15 pm   Permalink

Robb everytime I see new work by you I am in awe of how amazing of an artist you are.

Love the art on this thread. Beautiful work!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 4:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks alot Babalu. Right On right back at you!

LLT: a skinny dipper is a great idea, but I'm just messing around with this - the world needs more 'fros, though.

leleliz: wow, that really makes me feel good because I'm one of those artists who almost always feels like a hack. It's great to hear different. When a piece turns out super-well I almost glow and the good feelings last for awhile! Thanks very much.

I've finally wrapped up the storm pastel:

Detail is sooo hard with these huge chalks!

I get a leader-type with a headress I found a pic of, and a roughed-in sailor.

Bad pic, but you can see the group of men lashing the sail to the mast and the group of non-essential personnel at the back of the canoe.

A shot to show scale.

"Pastel Tiki #5 - Monsoon Nightmare" 11x14 - pastel on paper.

Thanks for looking everyone.

www.robbhamel.com

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 6:28 pm   Permalink

Wow man, I cant beleive the detail you get with pastels! I struggled getting lines thinner than a finger! Once again you've finished off some awesome pieces, with atmosphere in spades! Awesome work, as always!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-12 8:35 pm   Permalink

The progression pix of the waterfall are great, you make it look so effortless! So good to see the Monsoon Nightmare done(cool name) I love that the big kahuna just sits calmly in the bow staring ahead while the sailors struggle with the sail and the "non-essential personnel" huddle in fear in the back.

PS - tell your mama to "bring it" because I ain't checking your website

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
K-Billy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-12 8:52 pm   Permalink

Outta sight man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work

View Profile of K-Billy Send a personal message to K-Billy  Email K-Billy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 05:45 am   Permalink

hewey - mucho thanks. I've gotta be in the mood to do the detail.

MadDog - you're living up to your rep as a mad dog! And the funniest guy on TC.

K-Dog - hell yeah.

www.robbhamel.com

suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 06:26 am   Permalink

Robb you just blow me away. The pastels are amazing and I am in love with that velvet with the red glow.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 10:53 am   Permalink

my god, Robb!
your work is just OUTstanding
LOVE that powerful blue- captures the storm SO well!
it really reminds me of Daredevil's vision off the real life movie-Daredevil
cheesey reference but i couldnt think to explain it any other way

incredible stuff,Robb

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation