FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
PalmCityTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 03:21 am   Permalink

Man I wish those photoraphed as well as I sure they look. I love your style and the fact that you keep changing subject matter is even cooler.

View Profile of PalmCityTiki Send a personal message to PalmCityTiki  Email PalmCityTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 07:52 am   Permalink

Tiki Vignette 3....
Smashing Success!
Bravo Robb!

Brock Samson would be proud....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 08:59 am   Permalink

leleliz - thanks yet again!

Maestro Gambino - and I was afraid the composition would turn people off.

Shark - Yeah, Aurora! I wish someone would put a book out of vintage model kit art... Too bad the parts didn't fit together! But I guess that was part of the experience. I'm thrilled something touched your inner child, that's a big accomplishment for me.

I wish I could see the vintage aspects of Vignette 3 for myself, but somehow I can't, I just did it on instinct.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 09:15 am   Permalink

PalmCityTiki - thanks, I'd sure like to do some similar stuff, but I know where I want to be in the future and I'm trying hard to get there!

LLT - VENTURE BROTHERS, everyone CHECK IT OUT!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 10:34 am   Permalink

The life of a Tiki velvet painting:

IN THE COMPUTERIZED MILLING ROOM OF R. HAMEL INDUSTRIES, TECHNICIANS OF AT LEAST JOURNEYMAN LEVEL TAPER THE STRETCHER FRAMES.

(I sand a taper into all my stretcher bars in this spot so that pressure during shipping doesn't create an impression on the outside of the fabric)

IN OUR ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY CLEAN ROOM, SANITIZED CONDITIONS ASSURE QUALITY.

(I wash my dining table before rolling the fabric out, and make sure the bars are square before stretching the fabric. I use this table because of how big it is and how easy to clean)

USING AN EXCLUSIVE, PROPRIETARY METHOD, CORNERS ARE FINISHED.

(This is a Tiki Vignette Series piece, so the corners are trimmed and finished and a frame isn't needed. This gives a very clean, modern look on a wall)

CNC CUTTING MACHINES, WORKING ON A 12-AXIS CONTROL GIMBAL, REMOVE UNWANTED MATERIAL.

(I just give it a little trim for neatness and to make room for written info after it's done)

ADVANCED DIGITAL MEASURING DEVICES ASSURE SQUARENESS.

(I square it one more time, clean the fabric, and examine it for any imperfections that would show up after the painting is done)

A PROPRIETARY, DIGITAL, EXCLUSIVE, ADVANCED FILTRATION SYSTEM REMOVES PARTICULATE MATERIAL. THIS IS FED TO FELINES AS PART OF THEIR ADVANCED, DIGITAL, PROPRIETARY HAIRBALL RECYCLING SYSTEM.

(Jason Sallin outta back me up on this: these little black fuzzballs get everywhere... Yes, even THERE)

R. HAMEL INDUSTRIES HAS A CUSTOM-DESIGNED, ON-SITE STORAGE FACILITY MANNED EXCLUSIVELY BY TOP MEN.

(I put it here till I'm ready for it)

Taking a break from the brochure-speak, Paipo recommended this excellent book to me, and I just pulled it from the mailbox. Thanks Paipo!

I did this little 2" sketch in mid-June and liked it a lot. I'm gonna do this as a Tiki Vignette so that the focus is on the heads.

This scribble is to see if the design would work at the Vignette proportion of 1 to 2. Looks like a go.

Shrunken heads! I've never tried 'em before, should be fun.

I've gotta switch gears to work on another project, I'll post more as I go. Thanks.

www.robbhamel.com

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 10:55 am   Permalink

Oh yeah: if anybody has some creative suggestions please let me know, I'll try to incorporate them.

www.robbhamel.com

Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-05 10:34, Robb Hamel wrote:
The life of a Tiki velvet painting:

(Jason Sallin outta back me up on this: these little black fuzzballs get everywhere... Yes, even THERE)

5 out of 5 Tikis.

Three cheers for the "Life of a Tiki Velvet Painting" by Robb Hamel.
I laughed, I cried, and yes those little black fuzzballs have become a
part of me...even there!

Highly advanced reading. I must get my Nude Wahine Sweatshop up to speed
on these latest techniques!

[ This Message was edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-08-05 11:03 ]

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 11:08 am   Permalink

Thanks Robb for the in-process pics. Very refreshing to see actual artist spaces for a change. I don't know about you, but for me sometimes the painter's palette is just as interesting to look at as their canvas.

Your latest velvet painting posted "Tiki Vignette 3" is lovely in its simple presentation. I love the red, green, blue progression from back to front. This painting does evoke certain emotions from my childhood of the early 60s too - monster model box art - yes!, cereal boxes, brochure art for amusement parks/tourist traps, movie posters etc etc etc. Kinda like the things I tend to collect now that I'm older.
With this said, this painting IS another feather in your cap in my mind.

Keep up the inspiring work, Robb as I always look forward to any new post you provide us.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 2:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks, TikiG. I definitely like photos of artists' spaces, gear, palettes too. I'm glad you feel a connection between Vignette 3 and your childhood too.

It's so weird that I can't feel it...

www.robbhamel.com

Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 3:32 pm   Permalink

Oh boy, shrunken heads!
I love shrunken heads, can't wait to see this one finished Rob. I like the sketch.

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 07:31 am   Permalink

Jason - five out of five Tikis? Thanks, wow.

Swampfire - I'm concerned about doing a cliche-looking shrunken heads piece, but I'm doing what I can to personalize it. Thanks.

www.robbhamel.com

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 05:20 am   Permalink

Yesterday I went to DaddyKatz (local Tiki/Hotrod shop), to get out of the house. I worked on a fairly detailed sketch of the new shrunken head piece.

This is DaddyKatz' warehouse. It contains several hot rods, including the green one here, which I call "Reptilicus" - anyone out there remember that Dutch monster movie?

This is the hut layout. I plan on adding more detail to them later.

I'm not sure if these heads are meant to be actually shrunken or heads on poles. I kinda like the decaying whole heads idea. Yum.

Here's some of my newest stuff on display in DaddyKatz' showroom.

www.robbhamel.com

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 2:18 pm   Permalink

Here we go, more adventure with my first shrunken head piece.

Several people have said they like palette shots, so there.

In the vivid morning light, my faithful hound companion... acts companiony.

This really is the first stroke of the painting. And I actually took the shot of it... "Hands like a surgeon," the ladies say - YEAH BABY, YEAH!

Gotta shrink these big, ugly pics....

I have to admit the truth - this is probably the last day I'd ever want to start a painting, but being a soldier and sucking it up is part of the deal.

Still roughing it in. These rough beginnings jangle my nerves.

The village starts a smidge better.

This is the barely roughed-in image. Velvet, at least the way I do it, is all about adding layer after layer, each time one dries, another is added.

A freak-ass storm blows in. Thunder pounds every few seconds, lightning flashes nearby, over and over.

My dog tries desperately to escape the lightning... Run, Fido, run!

Poor bastard! He didn't make it. He's fried to a crisp. I kick the smoking carcass out of my way and take my gear in out of the weather. I'll find the head later.

At 5:30 my wife comes home from work. I'm gonna tell her about the dog, but her top is about to frag everything nearby when those buttons finally explode... I forget about what's his name.

I won't bother you folks with all the layering work I have to do in the days ahead, but from time to time I'll show the image looking a little brighter, a little more complete.

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2009-08-10 15:30 ]

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 8:35 pm   Permalink

Wow...
a tutelage by one of the most talented anal-retentive
black velvet artists on the PLANET!
very fun romp!
Sorry about the dog....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-11 05:59 am   Permalink

Tutelage? No, I'm just tired of posting finished pics because I don't take the time to show the process, which people say they like to see.

Anal retentive? Absolutely! It's a painful fact that I can't work any other way, which blows. Velvet is not exactly a playful medium!

The dog? Now makes good doorstop.

www.robbhamel.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation