FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 12:53 am   Permalink

What Kinny said!

hot rods and shrunken heads...

Robb, Awesome work here, these shrunken heads put me in the darkest
corners of Adventureland. I cant wait to see more progress.

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-03 3:48 pm   Permalink

Your first shrunken head velvet piece is so creepy cool.
I would have never guessed a hot rod would be coming out of the darkness
in your latest!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-05 05:54 am   Permalink

I love you guys. Your comments are keeping me amped.

The village layout works well in horizontal format I think. I don't know what happened to this pic, musta over compressed it.

I was completely lost about how to do the headlights, so I turned the real car's on and studied them. I'd paint them a little, and go back and turn them on again.

I'm showing the "back yard" of the village because this is the area that had more huts in the distance. They threw the perspective off once I got started painting and had to be taken out.

After several coats the heads are looking pretty good... And what's that falling from the sky?

The things going on in my life are becoming more stable. I'm staying creative, somewhat, and appreciate the surprising support folks have given me through PMs. Thanks again all, you've proven to me that this really is a community!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-05 06:58 am   Permalink

The heads look non-traditional for shrunken heads, are the faces portraits of specific people? (of course, a hot rod in the village is a little non-traditional too )

The headlights are very realistic, the meteor shower is cool, stability and creativity are GOOD!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-06 11:44 am   Permalink

Man, so are sooo on the cutting edge of tiki! GO ROBB GO!!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-06 1:31 pm   Permalink

those headlights look awesome...can't wait to see the completed piece Robb!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-06 8:02 pm   Permalink

The shrunken heads are the stuff nightmares are made of...
...Oh, I love it!!

Nice touch with the sky falling.

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-07 09:51 am   Permalink

Mike - I tried to make my shrunken heads look more Anglo or Polynesian and less African than the tradtional ones. I haven't used anybody as a model for them, but what I've noticed is the main heads in both paintings look kinda like me!

Babalu - Cutting edge? ALRIGHT! That is a great thing to hear. Thanks.

Leleliz - Thanks, I'm happy with them and hope to figure out how to do better windows on future architectural velvets.

Bowano - Bill Winger likes things big, so this one is apocolyptic in scale!

Here is the nearly-completed village "backyard".

This is the '30 Ford fully finished.

Here is in finished area that I did as a Tiki Vignette series painting.

This is what the village has in the backyard.

Almost there, comrades! I hope you'll like the final piece.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HulaZombie

Posted: 2009-09-09 06:43 am   Permalink

Your work is soooo kool
Were can I purchase it. Do you have a retail location ???

View Profile of HulaZombie Send a personal message to HulaZombie  Email HulaZombie Goto the website of HulaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 08:05 am   Permalink

Ohmyjibbahjabbah!
You are close to the finish line,Robb!
Beautious!

makes my heart race.....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 5:26 pm   Permalink

Hot rod and shrunken heads ... love it!

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 5:29 pm   Permalink

Robb love that volcano effect .

Have you ever taped yourself while painting?

VanTiki tapes how he sculpts his pieces and then edits the video all together to show a sped up version of the piece from start to finish.

I would really love to see something like this come from you just so I can watch how you get from a blank velvet to one so beautifully done.

Just a thought !

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-11 1:15 pm   Permalink

Way cool art!

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-11 5:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-09 06:43, HulaZombie wrote:
Your work is soooo kool
Were can I purchase it. Do you have a retail location ???

Whatta butthole! This is Bill Winger, the owner of the piece, and DaddyKatz, where it is hanging. We decided to do maybe one or two more of these, if I can take it, so it is a limited series painting.

LLT: my Main Man - thanks for hangin' in there with me.

Swamp Fire: It's sure different for me. Sometimes I'd like to just relax and repeat myself and enjoy doing refinements on my technique... BUT I CAN'T!

Liz: I've never done that. It's a cool idea, since I forget some of the things I do that work out.

MooneyTiki - Big Thanks. I'm surprised how epic the piece looks on this 'site - thank you Hanford and team!!

Sold velvets have been cleared
out to make room for new stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2009-09-11 18:18 ]

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-11 6:03 pm   Permalink

Here's the finished piece:

"Escape from the not-so-quiet village" - 2x3' - black velvet.

To get an impression of the scale of this painting, look at the pics in my previous post, they're all closeups of the finished thing. Notice the volcano dust trailing the hotrod and how you can follow the side of the volcano from the last hut on the left (movie reference), rock by rock most of the way up the summit. The reason the right hut has light in its windows is that really ugly cannibal stuff is going on in there while the rest of the village is abandoned.

The idea in my head is that the last remaining villagers are completely insane. They captured some of the party that brought the car here and sewed their eyes and mouth while they were still alive, then removed their heads and stuck them on poles without bothering to shrink them.

Thanks everyone for hanging in there will I took a couple of weeks to post this and for the excellent comments. The disaster my life has suffered seems to be slowly turning into a good thing in the long term. You guys really are the best!

Sold velvets have been cleared
out to make room for new stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2009-09-11 18:16 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation