FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 4:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks, my man. I didn't know that you had that goin', obviously.

This site is soooo big....

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 08:41 am   Permalink

Koolau asked me about my participation in the new Don Tiki album a while back and I posted the whole story in the music area. Since I am still trying to pull my life back together, I thought I'd post a compressed version here.

Lloyd Kandell, who is one of the two founders/producers of Don Tiki contacted me in April about using one of my pieces for the new album. I could tell immediately that he was an absolutely terrific guy, so much so that I trusted him enough to send him the initial image he wanted before we had finished hammering out a deal, without being asked to! I'm still surprised at how nice it was to work with him.

Lloyd sent me an email that I didn't see for a few days requesting some other images they were considering. These needed to be shown at a specific time to the albums designer, Craig Okino. I checked the date and time he needed the new pics, looked up the Honolulu time, and realized he needed them in about 40 minutes!! So I went into Insane Desperate Slowpoke Artist In High Gear mode and got him the files a few minutes before he walked out the door.

These are the uncropped images of the paintings that were chosen:

Here's the final look:

The designer of the packaging is Craig Okino. He did a very nice job with the intensely dark look Lloyd wanted. Damn, I just noticed I didn't photograph the cover! It is a seductive pic of singer Sherry Shaoling with "the girls" hanging part way out of her top!

The music is unmistakably Don Tiki. Which means that it has a distinctly theatrical quality - when I listen to it I can't help but get mental images of live performers standing in spotlights, scenery flats being moved for each song, colored lights, and curtains opening and closing.

The super, super silky sound is absolutely seductive on a good stereo. It almost sounds like Sherry Shaoling is about to stick her wet tongue in your ear!!

Thank you Lloyd and company for a great and happy experience working with you and for giving us a new and hot-blooded piece of art.

Big thanks Koolau for asking about my tiny part.

Sold velvets have been cleared
out to make room for new stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2009-10-15 08:45 ]

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 11:21 am   Permalink

Right on Robb! Too cool!
What a great project to be a part of.
Congrats and hope you are on the road to recovery.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-16 08:02 am   Permalink

So now your art is featured with Sherry Shaoling and the girls , how cool is that?!!!

Great work Robb

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-16 09:04 am   Permalink

Makes me wish big albums were still around!
Like that foldout ELO and live WINGS one
or total super foldout Black Moses!
I imagine that the mixture of viewing your art and hearing the music
will transport the listener to mysterious shores!
Would looove an album sized poster of that!
(i think CDs were invented to eliminate albums so we'd have to BUY posters for our walls
instead of just tacking up my Cat Scratch Fever and Nazareth hair of the Dog up there!)
Congratulations!
Luminism!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-16 11:25 pm   Permalink

Congrats Robb!!!

That's very cool seeing your artwork on new media, and a ton of exposure for your creativity!

I agree with Ken, a classic old school album would be the tops with your art complimenting it!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-25 07:53 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. I hope everyone gives the album a listen, it a helluva piece of work, very non-traditional, very Don Tiki.

Iokona - Thanks Jason, the best part was working with someone who is a cool guy. I don't like dealing with sleazebags. I'd sure like to see them advertise here on TC, though.

MadDog - What better place to be snuggled in is there?

LLT - Hair of the Dog? Now you're talking! I miss LPs too, it was such a big rush to get a new album by a favorite band and have NO idea of what was inside. CDs have proven themselves to be a perfect addition to disposable culture.

Lake Surfer - I agree completely and will put it this way: LET'S SEE NEW EXOTICA RELEASED ON VINYL LIKE THE CLASSICS WERE!!

www.robbhamel.com

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-25 10:47 am   Permalink

You know, I surely wish I could have my album on vinyl, and I'm sure all the new exotica bands would too, but it's really expensive, and you have to be sure to sell a good number to invest on that format.
Although, Waitiki did a fantastic job with their second album on vinyl, so it's possible, for limited edition, cause it's surely better to show your art than a cd.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 08:05 am   Permalink

Thanks, Virani.

My guess is that Exotica vinyl would sell well. We are extremely Retro-minded, and what is cooler retro than vinyl?

www.robbhamel.com

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-15 08:32 am   Permalink

Robb, I got ALL EXCITED because I thought you had posted new art. WTH?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-16 1:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks Robb! I love that inside story stuff.
Can't wait to see what you cook up next.

I wanna see a Billy D willams drinking Colt 45 velvet!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-15 08:41, Robb Hamel wrote:
Damn, I just noticed I didn't photograph the cover! It is a seductive pic of singer Sherry Shaoling with "the girls" hanging part way out of her top!

Will you be posting the cover pic, Robb?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-16 5:28 pm   Permalink

This one?

Ohlala!

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 3:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike, I haven't had the time to post a cover pic.

Mike, earlier you mentioned me doing new art... sorry, I know I should be able to deal with "the-end-of-everything-I've-ever-cared-for" catastrophe and still create art, you are sure blessed in that way, but I'm not. Things look liked they'll be back on track in the next few weeks, and then we'll see...

In they meantime I'm planning on doing some black paper sketches to get back into the groove, probably with colored pencil. The toughest part is that I've gotta make them not look like Tobunga's outstanding work!

Thanks for the comments, guys.

www.robbhamel.com

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 3:09 pm   Permalink

Finally, a new post!

I did these two a little while back and haven't been able to post them. They are simple, small sketches I did for fun.

I hope you like them.

"Tiki Still 2" - 11x14" - black velvet.

"Tiki Still 3" - 11x14" - black velvet.

www.robbhamel.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation