FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-30 4:25 pm   Permalink

Sorry guys - I don't have any new velvets coming up, I'm still waiting to get my Black Fuzz Painting mojo back.

People I know who know art have always told me that they could see elements of Classical Art in my work and told me that that quality is what made my work distinctive. I've never let that Classical Art monster fully out with my Tiki work, until now:

I painted this Moai around Jan/Feb of this year but couldn't make up my mind about what to do with it. I decided it's time to put it to use.

This closeup shows how uptight my brushwork was that day. I was trying to cut loose but couldn't pull it off.

I have a clear feeling for what I want, but it isn't visually sharp, so I started out cautiously.

I want one of those incredible Marquesanesque rock pinnacles to make sure this doesn't look like a piece of American SouthWest Art - no buttes allowed!

I'm starting to get a feel for it and my brushwork is nice and loose.

The pinnacle is WAY off, but I'll get there later.

This is crude, but is kind of a unified image now.

Some better values and some surf help out.

I'm happy to still be slopping the paint on and having fun.

I got on a roll and finished a fair amount more than this, but ran out of light to photograph my progress.

A special thanks to the lovely and talented Ken Ruzic for keeping me going through the dark times and inspiring me to Cut Loose a little and not to be afraid to walk away from the velvet for awhile!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-30 4:32 pm   Permalink

Very Classical!
Actually, I don't know enough to really know what the term means, but I like the painting so far! Nothing wrong with doing something different.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-30 6:59 pm   Permalink

I just love your work on a regular basis .

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-31 02:57 am   Permalink

Coming along nice

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-31 06:26 am   Permalink

Robb I don't know anything about classic art but I know you're a class act. Keep up the great work

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-31 07:32 am   Permalink

Beautiful Robb!
It certainly pays to move away from our comfort zones once in a while! With the encouragement of a couple of painter friends of mine, and even Brad Parker here on TC I left the digital work for a while and began painting and am now on my 3rd acrylic and am so happy with the results! I'm sure this current path of yours will be most beneficial to you and you art!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-31 6:06 pm   Permalink

you done good boy!

liberating isn't it?

this is looking soooo beautiful Robb!
like an old book cover...
yet,despite not being on a black ground
it still has your spark!
Can't wait to see this one finished!
fun aplenty!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-01 03:21 am   Permalink

Let it rip, dear boy!

Looking good to me Robb. Don't think about it too much - its fine G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-06 4:43 pm   Permalink

THANKS EVERYONE FOR SUPPORTING MY NON-VELVET WORK!

This is where I left off the last time.

This area on the left is going to be a sunlit patch in the final piece.

The far mountain range is starting to shape up just fine.

I not a fan of the pinnacle yet.

I'm working on this outcropping along the water...

It turns out lousy...

So I wipe it out down to the canvas and start again.

This is where I finish on the second day.

I'm changing the name of this from "Classical Art" to "Old Master Style" to hopefully be more clear about the style I'm going for.

NOW the pinnacle looks just fine!

The shadow side of this mountain is meant to gently give a sense of scale without a lot of detail making it distracting.

This area will need a lot more work.

The outcropping looks okay now, but will need to be more sunlit.

Looking forward with hope.

[ This Message was edited by: ROBB HAMEL 2010-08-23 13:09 ]

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-23 1:22 pm   Permalink

I've finally gotten to work on the surf. It kinda looks better here than in real life.

This is the first time I've worked on the Moai since about February.

I'm slowly building up the contrast so he stands out from the scenery.

I think he's looking decent, but there's still a ways to go before I'm happy.

www.robbhamel.com

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 08:38 am   Permalink

This is the 2nd of my "Tiki Vignette 3" series I started at DaddyKatz last week. It was commissioned by an art collector with an unbelievable floor-to-ceiling one-room collection and a good sense of humor - what a combination!

This is layer one for the foreground Tiki.

Back to my moai canvas, which is dragging on and on...

I'm still trying to get the moai texture to look right...

...and have to resort to using broccoli!!

This edge is the most important single element in the painting to me: if I get it right, the moai will have an actual dimensional look.

www.robbhamel.com

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-14 08:39 am   Permalink

Looking great!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 08:46 am   Permalink

Yay! Robb!!

Great to see you painting on velvet again - and the moai painting looking superb. Thanks for sharing. G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 09:21 am   Permalink

TikiG and zerostreet - thanks for looking, guys. I can always count on both of you to let me know somebody is watching!

Here's some new pics I just noticed on my camera:

This guy is hard to do because he wants to look like just a collection of parts and not one whole sculture.

www.robbhamel.com

Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-14 09:42 am   Permalink

Painting with broccoli?! That's one inspired way of getting out of eating your veggies, Robb. The paintings are looking great, by the way.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation