FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Creating Tiki ╗ ╗ Other Crafts ╗ ╗ Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 6:04 pm   Permalink

Mike, your guality is PLENTY high enough. I have the same problem, it really helps if I do big projects in bite-size pieces with gaps in between so's I can come back fresh after not peeking for awhile.

Iokona Ki'i - I think I just might do that!

Virani - Thank you! Wait till you see it in the frame I painted it to match.

Tiki Shark - I've really been digging the hotrod piece you're in the middle of.

Here's a little improv sketch I did for an upcoming painting:

"Marqcolorsketch1" - 5.5"x8.5" - oil on watercolor paper.

This is a test to determine the setting for a canvas piece. I thought I'd try a little improv before doing pencil sketches.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 6:06 pm   Permalink

Wow! That little "test" looks awesome!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 8:05 pm   Permalink

Great Googly Moogly!!! That's a "sketch"?....
I've got soooo much to learn!
I bow to the master.
K. Angel Pilago (Hawaiian Elder & my personal Yoda)

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 8:08 pm   Permalink

Frickin WOW!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 09:56 am   Permalink

I'm sooooOOOoo happy you are sharing prosess pics. I too have a lot to learn.
I want my mountian-y/ volcano's to look that good .

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 10:09 am   Permalink

Gorgeous! Mysterious! What's behind that mountain? Probably cannibal... Love it.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 10:12 am   Permalink

Robb, you make it looks so easy!

I can get to here OK

But it seems like a giant step to here

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 11:53 am   Permalink

Bob Ross would be proud of your"happy little mountains"!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-14 11:51 am   Permalink

Dang!
Effortlessly Beautiful!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 4:50 pm   Permalink

zerostreet - Thanks for liking it, but the final one is gonna be VERY different.

Tiki Shark - Very kind words from the REAL master here. Thanks Brad, I wish I could get the real images in my head on paper... maybe the next sketch?

Sophista-tiki - Your mountains look just the way they should: like Sophista-tiki's terrific mountains!

Zeta - SECRETS are behind that mountain!

MadDogMike - I got too involved and forgot to take pics showing the leap from those two steps!

AlohaStation - Bob Ross makes excellent USA-made brushes! And the mountains are happy ones!

L.L.T. - Every artist here seems to wish they could paint something that someone else can paint! I'm glad I can't do what you do, cuz it'd ruin the experience of having my mind expanded every time I check out your thread. That's flattery beyond imitation!!

THANKS ALL.

I've got a more Marquesan sketch cooking that I'll put on soon.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-15 5:05 pm   Permalink

Love the "MOOD" of your sketch.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 7:34 pm   Permalink

I did another 5 1/2x 8 1/2" sketch based on this thumbnail and it BOMBED!

This is the halfway point, I'm not gonna show any further. I wasted a WEEK on this monster.

I was frustrated and even had problems sleeping.

My response to this failure? DO FOUR PAINTINGS LIKE IT IN A ROW!!

here's the four pieces of paper taped down and sketched in.

I'm actually using acrylic - not my favorite but FAST. I'm not wasting another week on one of these.

These two are finished enough - they ARE just sketches, playing with ideas and such.

"Marqcolorsketch 2" - 5.5x8.5" - acrylic on watercolor paper. This pic is a little weak.

"Marqcolorsketch 3" - 5.5x8.5" = acrylic on watercolor paper.

I'm trying to create my own version of the landscapes of the Marquesas since I don't have any of my own pictures of them, is wish I did!! These are not quite what I'm going to do with my future large paintings... I'm just feeling things out and trying to get a feel for volcanic landscapes. I've lived my life around sedimentary rocks and don't quite have the feel for these otherworldly places yet.

www.robbhamel.com

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-25 8:50 pm   Permalink

Dang! Looks like you MORE than made up for that lil speedbump!
I bet half the kids here wish their "speedbumps" looked as good as yours!
mine certainly don't!

these are breathtaking!
Like an illustration out of a naturalist's sketchbook
as he sails the waves of Oceania!
Clap! Clap!

Come on down to the Opening Reception of my solo exhibition
"All over the Map"on November 6th!
All the info including links to directions is HERE!
www.kenruzic.com

[ This Message was edited by: little lost tiki 2010-10-25 20:51 ]

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 02:28 am   Permalink

Those are just thrown together tests? Daaaamn! The depth of field, colour and atmosphere in them is great - period - let alone something 'thrown together'

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-31 11:25 am   Permalink

LLT - you are SO perceptive... they ARE meant to be like a naturalists' sketchpad! I'm taking a slightly Hudson River School approach to Polynesia... Maybe I'll call it the Sepik River School!

hewey - thanks for the photographic description using terms like "depth of field" 'cause I used to be a photographer and I think in those terms.

BILL WINGER, owner of DADDYKATZ retro/hotrod/tiki shop in Dayton, Ohio had his 50th birthday recently and a handful of local artists were asked to paint a custom made bust of him. Here's my approach:

For some insane reason I chose to use watercolors for this.

I felt sticking with a black velvet approach would be best.

The idea is: BILL WITH A FLASHLIGHT. I'm sure he always does this whenever he's in a dark room with someone.

These are the other busts. The ideas range from Bill as local horror show hosts to classic hotrod characters to completely original ideas.

www.robbhamel.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation