FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-31 2:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-25 19:34, Robb Hamel wrote:

"Marqcolorsketch 3" - 5.5x8.5" = acrylic on watercolor paper.

I'm trying to create my own version of the landscapes of the Marquesas since I don't have any of my own pictures of them, is wish I did!! These are not quite what I'm going to do with my future large paintings... I'm just feeling things out and trying to get a feel for volcanic landscapes. I've lived my life around sedimentary rocks and don't quite have the feel for these otherworldly places yet.

Kinny nailed it...this one reminds me of the sort of work
William Hodges painted from Cook's second voyage (this one is in Tahiti, pretty much the same kind of landscape as the Marquesas):

full size here

Far better to discard a sketch than get most of the way through a significant piece and discover you haven't nailed down the style you were after...it has happened to all of us! I have a pile of pieces that will never get finished because I didn't think them through properly at the start. I'm digging the different directions you are pushing in Robb...don't stop now!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-10-31 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-31 11:25, Robb Hamel wrote:

BILL WINGER, owner of DADDYKATZ retro/hotrod/tiki shop in Dayton, Ohio had his 50th birthday recently and a handful of local artists were asked to paint a custom made bust of him. Here's my approach:

The idea is: BILL WITH A FLASHLIGHT. I'm sure he always does this whenever he's in a dark room with someone.

These are the other busts. The ideas range from Bill as local horror show hosts to classic hotrod characters to completely original ideas.

That's so great, what a cool idea. Nice job Robb and everyone else involved.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-01 09:10 am   Permalink

Sweet landscape studies there fellow lefty (me too!).
I was thinking of Hodges when I first saw them also.
Love his work! Look forward to seeing what comes next sir Robb.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-23 4:02 pm   Permalink

Paipo - thanks for the feedback, and the link.

Bora Boris - thank you, the various artists did give it hell.

Iokona Ki'i - I've gotta tell you that I like your avatar-pic better than anything I've seen by Leeteg!

These are the next two sketches on the left:

They've been giving me such a hard time I decided to take a break from them!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-23 4:28 pm   Permalink

That blue one is gorgeous,Robb!
you're too hard on yourself!
these are perfect!
let that devil-may-care attitude seep thru
whenever you're in doubt
and you may be surprised with the results!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-23 4:44 pm   Permalink

Robb and Kinny are BOTH back - life is good!

Robb, I like the one on the upper right - rough and forbidding. Kind of a PRIVATE paradise to keep the lookie-loos out!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-24 2:21 pm   Permalink

GROG really enjoy these sketches, Robb. GROG love Albert Bierstadt, Thomas Cole, and Frederic Church. Hudson River School ROCKS!!

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-25 2:47 pm   Permalink

Paipo - I was wondering who did those paintings. I was wondering if any of the old master-types had done Polynesia... I guess so!

Ken - these sketches were inspired by YOU! They are my way of cutting loose until my next velvet, those don't let you play much.

Mike - that's my favorite too. None of these look that tropical to me yet, but I'll get there.

Grog - Hudson River! I'm a big fan too, Bierstadt ROCKS. That is the way I'm headed in the future.

"Margsketch 4" - 5.5x8.5" - acrylic on watercolor paper.

This sketch DOES NOT PHOTOGRAPH WELL!! In person this one is very atmospheric, it looks like a mess here.

This is my favorite area of sketch 5.

Although this is simple and improvised, I like the feeling of distance.

Here's my little 1 1/2" boat... I like it!

"Marqsketch 5" - 5.5x8.5" - acrylic on watercolor paper.

This pic is okay, but I needed to show the closeups to give a feeling of the detail.

The finished series!!!! It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I feel more prepared for what I'll be doing early next year!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-27 08:41 am   Permalink

I really like the "sketches." Damn. I think your art embodies tiki (as I like to see it) like no others. When I drop in, I look for your thread right away. I'm never disappointed and always impressed.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-27 08:57 am   Permalink

Nice series, Robb!! Love the atmosphere in these, very very mysterious and kinda creepy but beautiful at the same time...

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-27 10:32 am   Permalink

These are little JEWELS!! GROG LIKE!!! Two semi-opposable thumbs up.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baï
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-28 01:30 am   Permalink

I am totally amaze about your sketch! you definately have this impressionnist sensibility. That's give me the feeling that Monet is in your hand.. unbelievable..!! when do you expose at musée d'Orsay? Thank you Robb to open the door to this kind of art in the tiki mouvement.
your "sketchs" (I rather say Oeuvre d'Art) is so delicate, smooth, sensitive... Beautiful! You are an impressionnist! excellent!

View Profile of Tiki Baï Send a personal message to Tiki Baï  Goto the website of Tiki Baï     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-28 06:41 am   Permalink

Beautiful work Robb! They have such an "otherworldy" feel to them!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-12 08:21 am   Permalink

foamy: Wow! I've never heard such great words said about my work. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

TikiG: That's just the mix I was going for! THANK YOU.

GROG: Semi-opposable, HAH!! Mucho thanks for the laugh.

Tiki Bai: I really appreciate you tuning into what I'm trying to do. The comment about "Opening the door" effected me deeply.

Zerostreet: Big Thanks - "otherworldly" is what I'm trying to get across.

www.robbhamel.com

Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-28 5:57 pm   Permalink

Man, the DETAIL in such small areas is amazing! I'm still your biggest fan!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation