Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tipsy - April 3rd 2008 - San Francisco
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-03-13 8:16 pm   Permalink

Tipsy

April, 3 2008 at 12 Galaxies
2565 Mission Street, San Francisco, 94110

Tipsy’s first show in over a year. Also featuring Coppe and Magnetic Stripper.

http://www.myspace.com/tipsytheband
http://tipsy.org/

(edited to add flyer)

[ This Message was edited by: hakalugi 2008-04-02 09:59 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-14 10:19 am   Permalink

Now they just need to come to Ohio!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 4:48 pm   Permalink

oh dear lord, why dont they tour! i heart tipsy!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 6:29 pm   Permalink

Wow, these guys use old exotica loops and play to pre-recorded tracks...Basically a DJ group.....and to think I've almost had a nervous breakdown trying to get actual live band members to play my stuff live....

If I had known that you guys were that easy to please, I would have bypassed all the heartache and just booked shows with my and my computer....

What's up with that ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 6:54 pm   Permalink

I agree! It dosn't take rocket science to write an exotica tune, but it is difficult to write something that dosn't sound like Martin Denny or Les Baxter, as they did so much in the genre. I use samples in my electronica music, but when it comes to exotica, GET SOME PLAYERS! You can't make TRUE exotica with a bunch of sample loops.

Tiki Bill.

View Profile of Tiki Bill Send a personal message to Tiki Bill  Email Tiki Bill Goto the website of Tiki Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2008-03-19 7:14 pm   Permalink

Tikiyaki....do not give up!!! You are my major commuter music. I love Tipsy too, but they are not a listen every day CD like you are.

Krikeee...why must so many fun things happen in the middle of the week when I just can't make it. If it was on Fri or Sat I could swing it. Bet it will be a great show.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-21 11:28 pm   Permalink

I listened to these guys and I must say, I relay like their stuff, but it's not exotica, it's electronica. I guess it could sort of be included in a space age bachelor pad music thing. Still, without real players, I can't call it exotica. Don't worry Tikiaki, It's not over until the vibe player accidentally puts someones eye out with a stray flying mallet (can't do that with a keyboard and a sampler!).

Tiki Bill.

View Profile of Tiki Bill Send a personal message to Tiki Bill  Email Tiki Bill Goto the website of Tiki Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-22 10:47 am   Permalink

Bill and Tikiyaki, I couldn't agree more. I know electronica has its fans and that's cool, but it just leaves me cold. Kavakon's Departure Exotica was somewhat of an exception for me when it came out. I didn't fall in love with it, but it was listenable.

I've always hated it when rock bands substitute keys for the horn section that was on the original recording. Yeah, I know... it's cheaper, but the music suffers. I played in symphonic bands, jazz bands, and rock bands when I was growing up and nothing will ever replace live musicians in my book.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-03-22 12:37 pm   Permalink

From Amazon, here's a review (not mine) of their first release "Trip Tease":

I bought this cd years ago when it was first released and it still remains on my all time favorite list. Here's what I heard: the CD consists of hundreds of different samples from lounge records of the 50s and 60s (including greats like Esquivel, Les Baxter and Martin Denny) but due to complications on getting permission for the samples, tipsy went into the studio and recreated the sounds of all the samples needed to create this great CD. It's fun listening to tracks like Space Golf and then playing the original lounge tracks from the 50s that make up the song. I always get a chuckle from the horn blasts of Mr.Excitement that are pulled from a James Bond theme song. But what's best about this CD is that it transcends almost every genre of music. It's lounge. It's trip- hop. It's dance. It's ambient. It's exotica. It's so lush and mellow and full of delicious sounds that ALL of my friends from grunge rockers to ravers love it. I always play it as backgound music when I have cocktail parties. I listen to it when I clean. I love this CD so much that I'm hungover from the years of listening to it. PLEASE OH PLEASE buy this! There is so much drivel out there that music which is new and unique and pushes the boundaries never get the attention that they deserve. This is one. I gaurantee that anyone buying this CD will love it. It's different , bizarre, cool, fun, uplifting and all around a pleasurable experience.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-22 8:00 pm   Permalink

Hey, I'm not trying to bust anybodies onions, but there is a HUGE difference between live players and sample loops. I LOVE good electronica, and I've heard electronica groups that I would almost class as modern exotica. Everything I heard on their site KICKS ASS, but still not exotica to me. In this day and age, musical genres are VERY blurred by many types of crossover stuff. I just say, you can't get the tiny flaws, that while not hurting the music, create a vibe that just can't be re-created by a computer and a sampler. Exotica to me is a type of lounge music (played by real people, not computers) that takes you to a place in your mind where you can disconnect from the daily trudge of life, and escape to some exotic location where you can just forget the world exists, and chill out and sip rum laden drinks all day while lounging in a hammock. Tipsy just dosn't put me in a hammock, they make me want to dance. If you want exotica, use your computer like a tape deck and not a "keyboard workstation". Record real players and you will have exotica, use loops and you have electronica. Case closed, thank you.

Tiki Bill.

Roland drum machines DON'T belong in exotica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bill 2008-03-22 20:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bill 2008-03-22 20:20 ]

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-03-22 9:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-22 20:00, Tiki Bill wrote:
... Tipsy just dosn't put me in a hammock, they make me want to dance. ...

Agreed!

Oh, and they record REAL players and they don't use drum machines!

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-22 10:20 pm   Permalink

I guess this is where I walk the line.

My original comment was directed at using pre-recorded tracks in a LIVE performance.

After 6 months of trying to find people to put together a live group to perform the stuff on my record, I finally have a group in place.
More than a few people asked me "Can't you just have a few people and play to pre-recorded tracks ?", and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
This is just me, I guess, because there is nothing cooler than seeing a band perform music like this without the aid of tracks.

As for TIPSY...I remember hearing them years ago and thingking "Wow, I need to get that record", then I found out that they were basically a dj group that uses samples of entire recordings from other people and was let down. I thought that they actually WROTE the stuff.

I'm not opposed to using computers to record, and samples to get the sounds, I mean, who the hell has the money OR room for a Marimba in their studio ? Those things are like 5 feet long...you need a U-Haul to move one ! So, using a software sampler is the affordable alternative....

The DIFFERENCE is using a sample based sound, playing it on a keyboard and composing music as opposed to using loops of entire band performances and stringing them together. That's where I draw the line. I used a few percussion loops on the Tikiyaki CD , but I didn't use entire musical passages.

That's where I felt let down by Tipsy, but moreso that their live show is mainly a DJ kinda thing....I guess that's what made me make my original comment. I thought this crowd preferred a live band.

Hey, if people like TIPSY, cool with me, I'd just rather watch a band play it live than a few guys with turntables .

That's a rarer thing these days.

So, just to clarify my position.... but this is just my standards I use for myself....other people can do whatever they want

Computer based recording and composing YES

Sampled sounds as opposed to miking real instruments : YES

Using a drum,percussion or single instrument loop : YES

Using multi-instrument loops of pre-recorded, artist-released music : NO

Using a collage of pre-recorded artist released samples : NO

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2008-03-22 22:34 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-03-22 10:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-22 22:20, tikiyaki wrote:...So, just to clarify my position.... but this is just my standards I use for myself....other people can do whatever they want

Computer based recording and composing YES

Sampled sounds as opposed to miking real instruments : YES

Using a drum,percussion or single instrument loop : YES

Using multi-instrument loops of pre-recorded, artist-released music : NO

Using a collage of pre-recorded artist released samples : NO

It sounds like you and Tipsy have similar standards.

Tipsy does use computers,

They record real instruments

They use loops

They DO NOT use pre-recorded artist-released music other than their own

They DO NOT use collages of pre-recorded artist released samples other than their own

I think we are all on the same page.

Remember, As far as recorded music goes, it is the end result that counts, not the path that is taken.

And as far as Tipsy's live shows go, they don't use turntables and actually have been known to have REAL MUSICIANS on stage playing REAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, not just two people with computers.

However, If Tipsy was to reproduce on stage what they recorded in the studio it would take a dozen or more live performers. Obviously an expensive and daunting task (as you well know). Given lots of money I'm sure they would love to have a huge live entourage but we'll just have to take what they can afford and enjoy it anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2008-03-22 23:13 ]

Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-23 07:19 am   Permalink

I,m not saying samplers have no use in exotica music production. I agree with Tikiaki, a sampler is much smaller and lighter than a full set of vibes. They also make a great place to get your bird call from. Esquivel used cart machines sort of like sample playback to throw in wierd sounds that a horn can't make. But Esquivel NEVER sampled a four measure loop of a Les Baxter tune and piano loop from a Martin Denny tune and spliced them up and then said he "played" it.

Actually "playing" a vibe sample bank with a keyboard: yes

Snaging a 4 bar loop and only using one finger to play it: NO

Tiki Bill.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-03-23 07:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-23 07:19, Tiki Bill wrote:
... Esquivel NEVER sampled a four measure loop of a Les Baxter tune and piano loop from a Martin Denny tune and spliced them up and then said he "played" it.

Neither has Tipsy!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation