FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Barefoot Trader Polynesian/Tiki Stores
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Barefoot Trader Polynesian/Tiki Stores
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 07:57 am   Permalink

Don't forget about Exotical in Downey, CA. This place is still open! Or at least it was 2.5 years ago the last time I was down there.

The Sperm Whale has an
excellent Savage Renewal Post/trip visit thread here.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 08:37 am   Permalink

ZuluMagoo,

Do you and the Mrs. shop there for your matching outfits?

This one is from Coco Joes Gift shop

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-30 11:28 am   Permalink

I saw this one on ebay from the Pirates Cove Tiki Gift Shop in Clarksville, Mo.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 11:27 am   Permalink

I picked-up another Barefoot Trader postcard from the Yarmouth Mass store. This one is a painting that shows the footsteps in the concrete leading to the front door.

I also found a postcard from Jill's Hawaiian shop which claims to be "nestled in the Tiki Garden at the Waikikian Hotel.

Tiki Shopping!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 12:47 pm   Permalink

Just in time for the holiday season, a few new posts for this shopping thread.

This collection wouldn't be complete without the gift shop at Seafood Sam's Sea Food and Hawaiian Village Family Restaurant. This is the subject of an entire thread in itself.

Here is a nice Hawaiian/Tiki scene from the Charlottetown Mall (this in in Duke's book).

And finally, the Tiki Bar at the Tide Creations Gift Shop in Ocean Shores Washington. Nice Witco fountain.

With that said, I'm off shopping for a few last minute gifts myself.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-23 10:23 am   Permalink

Great that you found the rendering of one of the Barefoot Traders, architectural renderings are always the best. Though this might be one of the rare examples where the original photo eclipses the rendering. Thanks for the card!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 5:38 pm   Permalink

I know the shopping season is officially over, but hey what's a few more tiki shopping spots.

Here are a couple of old photos I found on the internet of the Mai Kai Gift Shop.

DC

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-15 8:02 pm   Permalink

Hale Hawaii store, Birmingham, Michigan:

(Courtesy of puamana's site)

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-19 8:38 pm   Permalink

Dusty Cajun,
I was spending a couple of summers in W Yarmouth as a young girl, about 1963-65. We always went to the Barefoot Trader, and I walked in those footsteps in the concrete sidewalk every time. I was fascinated with the fire topped Moai, and in heaven inside that shop. The height of the A frame made the ceiling stratospheric to a 6 year old! I still have glass floats and fishing net that my mom bought there, as well as heavy metal seagulls and lobster pots. I just loved that store. I have tried to buy pamphlets and such of ebay when they come available, but am always outbid at the last minute. Rats. Thanks for the memories.

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-21 10:51 am   Permalink

The building is still there, the big A frame and the smaller side A frame still visible. A large addition was put on. Here is the aerial view link.
http://www.capelinks.com/cape-cod/maps/aerial/o/41.65265943188114/-70.25007426738739/2/
Any one live on the cape? Can you take some front street level shots?

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 4:09 pm   Permalink

Here is a great post card from the Sea and Jungle Imports shop I spotted on ebay.

DC

K_I_T

Posted: 2009-02-11 09:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-30 11:28, Dustycajun wrote:
I saw this one on ebay from the Pirates Cove Tiki Gift Shop in Clarksville, Mo.

Is that shop still open?

I couldn't find any info on it.

View Profile of K_I_T Send a personal message to K_I_T      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 12:13 pm   Permalink

The photos in this post are all vintage. With the exception of Exotical (I hope), not one of the shops in this thread still exists. That facet of Tiki culture is virtually extinct (with a few exceptions!). Today this genre of "exotic import" stores lives on as Pier 1/ World Market, but they are not Polynesian pop at all.

Panampia, great aerial archeology, hope someone will document the contemporary fate of this fine A-frame!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 7:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-11 12:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
The photos in this post are all vintage. With the exception of Exotical (I hope), not one of the shops in this thread still exists. That facet of Tiki culture is virtually extinct (with a few exceptions!). Today this genre of "exotic import" stores lives on as Pier 1/ World Market, but they are not Polynesian pop at all.

It stinks that most of those types of places are no longer around. Back in Ye Olden Days they had their own section in the phone book. Hey so did Hay!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 9:28 pm   Permalink

Bora Boris,

Thanks for those great phone book ads. I have been wanting to do some research like that in Santa Barbara - do you just go to the library and say "where are the old phone books"?

Here is another from this area. A postcard from the Island Shop in Ojai - seen but not won on ebay.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation