FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Barefoot Trader Polynesian/Tiki Stores
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Barefoot Trader Polynesian/Tiki Stores
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 11:51 pm   Permalink

Hmm, did KoCharms get it then? I just love the clarity of it. Two things bout the night shot (which is very nice too):

It must have been shot quite a bit later than the previous postcards, judging by the oil spots in the parking spaces!

And they made the effort to erect a SECOND statue of their logo, the Barefoot Trader, on the awning of the additional A-frame. Man I would love to see a close up of that guy!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 3:58 pm   Permalink

I am really lovin this thread DC ....boy do you have an incredible PC collection.
Thanks for sharing with us all .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-04 8:39 pm   Permalink

The Barefoot Trader was a favorite place for our family to go when we spent a week or two in W Yarmouth in the summers in '63 and '64. I remember it well. I have fishnet and floats that my mom bought there hanging in my Tiki Bar, nearly 50 years later! The A frame is still there. I haven't been to the cape in years and years, but thank goodness for satellites. Take a look: http://www.capelinks.com/cape-cod/maps/aerial/o/41.65265943188114/-70.25007426738739/2/

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-12 5:30 pm   Permalink

OK, here is another image from the Barefoot Trader brochure (seen on ebay).

This one shows a great rendering of the sister store in Florida and has a picture of the Trader's Hut fruit punch bar ..... is that a Barney West Tiki on the left??

How would you like to wear that bartenders costume all summer!
(are those Crypto Mugs on the counter?)

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-03-12 17:31 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 10:02 am   Permalink

Spotted a few more items from Poly Pop stores in California.

An ashtray on flikr from the Alberg Tropical Plant Rental and Hawaiian Supplies in the Bay Area.

A matchbook from the Coral Reef Imports in LA, surprised this was not listed in the telephone ads posted by Bora Boris.

Wonder if the folks at OA remember these places?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-20 11:01 am   Permalink

Picked up an oversized postcard from Waltah Clarke's Hawaiian Shop in Palm Springs.

Close ups of the card.

Waltah had a bunch of locations stretching from Disneyland to Las Vegas.

Also a motto we can all abide by "Fun First, Business Afterwards"!

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-20 11:16 am   Permalink

I love that photo! Though it is already published in Pete Moruzzi's "Palm Springs Holiday" http://petermoruzzi.com/ ,
I am thinking about using it in Look of Tiki, it is so good.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-20 12:53 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

I agree, Waltah Clarke's should be in the Look of Tiki.

Here is a photo of Gretchen Clarke who created Waltah Clarke's in 1952. She was the Waltah!

Some info from her memorial.

Clothing designer Gretchen Clarke has died in California at age 78. She ran Waltah Clarke's Hawaiian Shops in Hawaii and on the mainland with her husband in what was once the nation's largest retailer of aloha wear.

Waltah Clarke's Hawaiian Shops started in 1952 with the opening of the first shop in Palm Springs, a year before Gretchen Clarke met her future husband during hula lessons at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. The couple grew Waltah Clarke's to more than 30 stores on the mainland and Hawaii.

Cameron Clarke says his mother designed most of the company's clothes and prints.

Gretchen Rocked!

DC

DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-20 1:16 pm   Permalink

Did I post this in the wrong thread? I did a search and saw nothing of it posted yet. Funny ...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14543&forum=13&start=855&869

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-27 11:53 am   Permalink

Tiki car sales

On the Pacific Coast Highway.

DC

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-26 6:59 pm   Permalink

The Cape Cod location today.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 11:28 am   Permalink

A few more old photo shots of the Barefoot Trader.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-15 9:32 pm   Permalink

Found this great ad on-line from Waltah Clarks.

Located in Las Vegas across from the Stardust and the Aku Aku.

Other locations in Palm Springs, Laguna Beach, Balboa, Disneyland, Scottsdale and Chicago. Chicago??

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-27 08:22 am   Permalink

Another Tiki beauty saloon in Sacramento.

Why do the hairdressers always have such exotic names?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-26 1:46 pm   Permalink

Here is another postcard I have showing the flaming Moai at the Barefoot Trader in West Yarmouth, Mass.

A cool feature, would look good in the backyard!

Also spotted this cool Barefoot Trader footprint ashtray on ebay.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation