[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Home Tiki Bar Book
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Home Tiki Bar Book
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:05 am   Permalink

Anyone ever thought of doing a coffee table picture book of home tiki bars? I for one have been blown away by some of the pics I have seen on TC & would love to see more & better quality photos. I would absolutely buy 2 copies, one to save & one to pour over & dog-ear. Did I just make dog-ear a verb? Anyway, I'm sure the TC Ohana would support such an endeavor & it would light a fire under my sorry butt to finish mine in time for inclusion, ( if it's worthy)! Duke, are you listening? Anyone else?

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2008-04-03 08:06 ]

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:09 am   Permalink

That idea was in the works as a calendar when we started Tiki Daze. Problems are just emmense. You gotta really know how to take good pictures and you have to travel all over to do it. It's a good idea though.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:25 am   Permalink

I know somebody out there can pull it off. What if you used a few regional photographers? I know there are a few people on here that do their own magazines & many others that are talented photographers. It wouldn't hurt to test the bar owner's mixology skills after the photo shoot either!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 09:28 am   Permalink

I alos think using regional photographers would be a good soulution. and a nice post card set would be cool too.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 11:07 am   Permalink

I think this would be an amazing project. Sven? Tikibars? Boutiki?

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 11:17 am   Permalink

Look how long my books take to make. I am not even getting a CD BOOKLET done fast! And then the shirt book is next for me...and the one on Spanish Tiki culture. Sorry, I think this should be a communal, fast but good effort. I'll be glad to contribute, but am too busy otherwise.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 2:58 pm   Permalink

cool idea... I would definitely buy it.

but like ideas for movies, everyones got one... (idea for a cool book that is - not assholes).

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 3:57 pm   Permalink

It took me about two years after I had the idea "Someone should do a book on Tiki culture!" to realize that I had to do it myself...how long will it take YOU !?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 4:55 pm   Permalink

Maybe Tiki Magazine could do an annual hardback or something. I'd love to help with this sort of thing.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-03 6:56 pm   Permalink

Excellent idea indeed. The home bar posts are my favorites on TC. I would buy several books (they would make great gifts).

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 7:54 pm   Permalink

I would even settle for having all the home bars in one section of TC.

(And I know I'm not the only one who has asked for this before...)

They could all be together in a third sub-section of Creating Tiki.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-04 04:49 am   Permalink

Ditto on that Slacks...I have suggested a Home Bar section on TC before. I learn so much from those posts and sometimes have a hard time finding ones I have referenced in the past. If somebody does venture into setting up a book, I would gladly cover the Home Bars in the Sacramento area (owner interviews & pics).

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 05:30 am   Permalink

I could cover the home bars in Paris (meaning : mine)

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 09:51 am   Permalink

Several people have mentioned this idea to me over the years.

It seems that there is a lot of enthusiasm for it, and this is a book that I would personally pick up!

Since my (user)name came up above, let me state that personally, I wouldn't want to tackle the writing of it myself.
I have had a dickens of a time getting my Easter Island book, Big Stone Head, published.
Whether that ever comes out or not, either way, I think I have said my piece about tiki, and my current writing projects and future books are moving away from tiki subjects right now. There are other things I want to explore.

But like Sven said above - D I Y !!!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deckhand_Davy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-04 3:01 pm   Permalink

I can contribute photographs from our outdoor tiki bar once it's finished. Both me and my brother are into photography, so the pics should be of some decent quality.

Also, I think I have a great idea. We can make our own 'Tiki Central's Personal Tiki Bars and Digs' book using our home bar pics...it's actually possible. This can be a profit or non-profit book and sold at a 'cost price' from blurb dot com (an online 'create-your-own-book' store with full editing and creativity over it's content..basically, you can write your own book using professional grade hard back binding and printing for cheaps, software is downloaded for free from the site...$12-$22 bux average per book, no minimum purchase necessary).

So here's how I imagine it should work..of course I'm sure there's a better way, but this is on the fly for now

1. Contributes home bar pics along with any tid-bits of interesting info from their trophy pieces of tiki to the forum...we'll make a special thread for it.
2. Organizers/volunteers will take the images and descriptions and clean them up, spell check, post edit etc(I can volunteer...I have some design and art skills at davidzamora dot com
3. The images and descriptions will be uploaded into blurb dot com's software for final design editing.
4. Once finished, we can post pre-publishing images of the book on the forums to get everyones thoughts and opinions.
5. Once any changes have been made, we publish it.

Here's an example price from their website:

An 8x10 inch book (soft cover) runs 21.95 with a page count of 41-80 pages, hardcover is $34.95
I selected 41-80 pages because I'm not sure if we'll have over that many pages of bar pics, but I could be wrong. They also have 10x8 landscape sizes, 7x7 sizes and a couple more I think...lots of pricing variations depending on needs.

To be honest, this is something I would be serious about doing and would definitely pay for...opinions?

Here's an example of a blurb book I took from flickr

Pretty nice, huh?

__[]__
__|_o_o_o__
""""""""""""""/
^^^^^^...^^^.^^^

[ This Message was edited by: Deckhand_Davy 2008-04-04 15:06 ]

View Profile of Deckhand_Davy Send a personal message to Deckhand_Davy  Goto the website of Deckhand_Davy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation