FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Restaurants - Vintage Drink Girls
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Restaurants - Vintage Drink Girls
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 11:00 am   Permalink

That's Annie on the movie cover. And this is her too:

But Swanky, are you thinking that's also her on the Mystery Girl postcard? Cause I don't see the resemblance. I'm pretty sure I've seen the girl from the postcard in an old newspaper clipping. But I don't have a copy of it handy at the moment.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-11 11:00, GatorRob wrote:
That's Annie on the movie cover. And this is her too:

But Swanky, are you thinking that's also her on the Mystery Girl postcard? Cause I don't see the resemblance. I'm pretty sure I've seen the girl from the postcard in an old newspaper clipping. But I don't have a copy of it handy at the moment.

Note the mole on her left arm. That is how we know some pictures are her.

That IS Annie. And she was a Mystery Lady for a long time and they used her a lot in promo pics. In that short black wig. I dunno. I have asked Kern and have not heard back. Annie isn't sure either. She had so many pictures taken she has no idea.

There is another girl that Annie thinks may be that one in the card if it is not her. We'll have to wait for more info. I have looked a the pictures a lot and can't decide. I lean towards it not being her and then I see another picture I know is her and I'm not sure. The cheek bones are not hers though.
[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2008-04-11 11:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2008-04-11 11:58 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-11 10:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-04-11 09:20, Haole'akamai wrote:
That, is a great story.
So by vintage, you mean actually back in the day, yeah?

Is your question meant in regards to the movie? if so, yes. BOT, page 138:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-11 10:44 ]

Yep, that's her. The film maker was Jaff (yes, not Jeff) something. I'll get it when I get home.

This is also Annie. Her most famous picture. They blew it up and it hung in the Mai Kai for a while. There was also a giant mural of all the girls painted in there once. She said they served Mystery Drinks at the New York World's Fair I think it was and they did a larger than life size cut out picture of her for it. Like 6+ feet tall. Wonder where that went? She used to have a picture of her with it, but it got destroyed by mice.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 1:05 pm   Permalink

Since we are gravitating to the Mai Kai, which I thought this post might, here are a couple more. These are from Sabu and are on Mike's TikiRoom. They are from an article in Escapade Magazine. I love the description of the Mystery Bowl and the "hula skirted Mystery Girl". I don't think that's Annie - no mole.

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2008-04-11 13:05 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 2:09 pm   Permalink

[/quote]
Is your question meant in regards to the movie? if so, yes. BOT, page 138:

Can anyone with this do a youtube post? I'd love to the Saronged Serving Girls in action, do they sacrifice a goat?

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 2:29 pm   Permalink

I didn't find too many in my collection that were not already posted but here is a couple of girls serving drinks. The way it should be with smiles and class!

The one above is from the Beachcomber Bar that was at the Butlins holiday camps. This location is the Ayr Beachcomber Bar which I believe was located in Scotland, U.K. Great shot of the server shakin' it up and pouring right at the table. There is also a server with a tray of drinks in the center.

The next photo (I apologize for clarity right now) is a awesome shot of the Hawaiian Village that was once located in New Westminster, BC, Canada. This is a very rare shot from a picture off one of their old matchbooks. The server is carrying a tray with two Orchid of Hawaii mugs which have the fan styled decorations clipped to the rims.

And I guess I might as well add a Mai Kai one as there sure are alot of these different cards around. However, this one will be not a beautiful woman but a damn good looking man!!

TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2008-04-11 14:30 ]

Edited again to bring back the pictures!!

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-22 16:56 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 3:13 pm   Permalink

Let's not leave all these ladies out!

Imagine the watermelon is soaked in rum...

The name of the man who made the Mai Kai movie was Jaff Fletcher. He supposedly still lives in the Lauderdael area if anyone can find him...

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2008-04-11 15:25 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 5:14 pm   Permalink

Ok,

I got some more pics of the Samoa Restaurant.

First the back of the card.

There were actually two locations, in Cocoa Beach and a newer one in Vero Beach.

Now some close ups for Bigbro.

First the menu.

Then the front of the restaurant

Notice the menu has the same logo and font that are on the front of the restaurant -somewhat like our prevoius discussion today on the Dobb's House Luau menu. That is pretty cool. I have never seen that menu, maybe Sabu or Puamana have?

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 5:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-11 15:13, Swanky wrote:

Ah, thanks for posting that one. That's the newspaper clipping that I mentioned earlier. She's obviously the same mystery girl from the iconic shot below that we all know and love.

Sorry for going all Mai-Kai on you Dustycajun. And thanks for the closeups of the Samoa. I might have to do a little digging on that place seeing that it was located only about 45 minutes from my house!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 10:06 pm   Permalink

Ah, the spectacular Puanani - "Beautiful Flower". Without a doubt, the all-time Miss Tiki (Clothed Division).

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 07:04 am   Permalink

That Puanani imagery is from one of the men's magazines I have. Yes, that is definitely our girl.

Dustycajun, make a new entry in Locating Tiki for the Samoan and add your images. You never know where it may lead. Add it to Google that way and someone will come looking one day and we'll get the whole story. I need to ask Wayne Coombs about it. He pointed me to a couple of motels on Cocoa.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 09:02 am   Permalink

Great posts, guys! Thank you for the close ups, DC. Some observations: The Samoa's logo Tiki face in the A-frame gable looks Maori, but has a Hawaiian head dress (!?), better seen on the menu cover. I have seen that face together with that "Samoa" typeface somewhere before...perhaps on a matchbook that I don't own.
I had hoped to be able to make out what the entrance columns were carved as, but no. Well at least we can say that the entrance looked very interesting.

Never seen that particular Butlin's postcard. The Tiki in it looks quite cool, considering that Butlin's had problems with their Tiki creations, which often looked like Haida totem poles.

And nice to find out the name of the classic Mai Kai mystery girl. If that is her real name, perhaps she was a member of the dance troupe more than a waitress.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-12 09:08 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 3:47 pm   Permalink

Okay, now that that mystery (pun intended) is solved, who can identify the um... er, uh... we'll let's just say interesting looking tikis behind Puanani? They've always looked to me like just some props thrown together by the photographer. They just don't look like anything the Mai-Kai would have had.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 11:13 pm   Permalink

Here is another mystery drink girl from the Kahiki restaurant that I found looking on Mike's Tikiroom website. You don't see this one every day.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 11:43 am   Permalink

[quote]
The Samoa's logo Tiki face in the A-frame gable looks Maori, but has a Hawaiian head dress (!?), better seen on the menu cover. I have seen that face together with that "Samoa" typeface somewhere before...perhaps on a matchbook that I don't own.

Bigbro,

I found this matchbook picture from the Samoa - same type of typeface but way different logo than the menu and the image on the front of the building. Maybe these figures were inside?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation