FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Restaurants - Vintage Drink Girls
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Restaurants - Vintage Drink Girls
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 3:25 pm   Permalink

You know what? I need a gong. I said a GONG. Not a bong.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 5:36 pm   Permalink

Here is another Mai Kai shot of our Mystery Girl pouring the the always impressive Kona Coffee Grog. That sure looks like Puanani again.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 6:07 pm   Permalink

Nice. What ever happened to that fabulous glass roof?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 6:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-24 18:07, bigbrotiki wrote:

The roof is still there. It was covered in thatch for a while and then that got blown away. It's just not a "clear" as it used to be.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 06:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-11 17:46, GatorRob wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-04-11 15:13, Swanky wrote:

Ah, thanks for posting that one. That's the newspaper clipping that I mentioned earlier. She's obviously the same mystery girl from the iconic shot below that we all know and love.

Sorry for going all Mai-Kai on you Dustycajun. And thanks for the closeups of the Samoa. I might have to do a little digging on that place seeing that it was located only about 45 minutes from my house!

I asked Annie about this again, and she gave me some accidentally interesting information. The only Pualani she knew at the Mai Kai was the daughter of the Avon family that ran the gift shop. Ding ding ding!
Pualani Avon Mossman performed at Hukilau 2004. She is the lady for whom "Lovely Hula Hands" was written. Her family created the Lalani Village in Hawaii which was the first to bring back the luau and hula and Hawaiian culture to the tourists. Is that Pualani Avon? I doubt it. She would have been in her 40-50s at that time and the Mai Kai girls were all young.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 06:49 am   Permalink

Pua-NANI, not LANI, Swankman. Interesting info, though. Probably related to Sterling Mossman and Doug Mossman who played Moke the guard and also was the "Hawaiian advisor" on Hawaiian Eye.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-25 09:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-11 14:29, TabooDan wrote:

The one above is from the Beachcomber Bar that was at the Butlins holiday camps. This location is the Ayr Beachcomber Bar which I believe was located in Scotland, U.K. Great shot of the server shakin' it up and pouring right at the table. There is also a server with a tray of drinks in the center.

TabooDan

Never seen this one before - and it's not on Butlin's own web site of memorabilia. Thanks for posting.

Here's the exterior of Ayr's Beachcomber Bar c. 1964:

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 09:29 am   Permalink

Hey 54, Now that is a cool shot! You do not see too many of the exteriors of the Butlin Beachcombers. Sure had that Disney look to their decor dont you think?
Thanks for the picture!

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 6:44 pm   Permalink

Taboo Dan,
Love that Beachcomber card, I just picked one up a few days ago, cool.

Thanks also for the exterior picture of Butlins, very rare indeed.

I thought that this thread just wouldn't be complete without the in-famous lingerie luncheon show girls from Tiki Bobs in San Francisco!

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2008-04-26 18:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2008-04-26 18:57 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 08:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-24 17:36, Dustycajun wrote:
Here is another Mai Kai shot of our Mystery Girl pouring the the always impressive Kona Coffee Grog.

Yes, especially impressive because they always faked the fire in these pictures and made it look like a roaring inferno!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 08:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-24 18:24, Swanky wrote:
Quote:

The roof is still there. It was covered in thatch for a while and then that got blown away. It's just not a "clear" as it used to be.

I think there must be about 30 years of nicotine up on those glass panels. Would love to see the glass restored to its original clarity now that the roof over the gardens is free of thatch. Hard to believe in the humid Florida heat that the roof was originally screened in, so there must have been no A/C originally. I bet the place cleared out in summer. But, we're digressing from the purpose of this thread, which is GIRLS!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-28 08:53, GatorRob wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-04-24 18:24, Swanky wrote:
Quote:

I think there must be about 30 years of nicotine up on those glass panels. Would love to see the glass restored to its original clarity now that the roof over the gardens is free of thatch. Hard to believe in the humid Florida heat that the roof was originally screened in, so there must have been no A/C originally. I bet the place cleared out in summer. But, we're digressing from the purpose of this thread, which is GIRLS!

It was actually probably closed in summer. The Mai Kai, and much of Florida was seasonal. The dancers would head to New York and Chicago for work in the simmers, and then back to FL for the season. The Mystery Girls had to make their money during the season pretty much for the whole year.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-04 07:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-10 20:44, naugatiki wrote:
And while we're on the subject, does anyone have any footage, descriptions, or pictures of these wahines doing drink rituals that go with the libations? I sort of have a Kahiki fantasy of the lights going dim and smoke billowing threw the air while the drink is held up to the fire place and its red eyes flashing and an exotic soundtrack.

Naugatiki,

Were you thinking of something maybe like this? From a Kahiki brochure.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-04 1:30 pm   Permalink

I know someone who has the original rendering to that brochure cover.

SufferinSimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-04 9:34 pm   Permalink

And I know someone who would enjoy seeing it ... me.

View Profile of SufferinSimon Send a personal message to SufferinSimon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation