FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Make your own Baining Fire Dance Mask & Other Craft projects
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Make your own Baining Fire Dance Mask & Other Craft projects
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 10:38 am   Permalink

I just finished a Solomon Islands inlaid shield that I had been working on for awhile. The square shell pieces are actually from Michaels; they had strings of them in their beading section. Seeing those in the store actually gave me the idea to make the shield. The painting is a little more distressed than it appears in the photo, so it looks a little more antique than the photo would suggest.

Some real ones can be seen in these links:

[url=http://www.metmuseum.org/special/new_galleries/view_1.asp?item=5

[ This Message was edited by: Fugu 2009-04-25 12:09 ]

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-25 1:18 pm   Permalink

Good to see you posting something again Fugu, you have cool and unusual ideas. Great job on the shield, it is wicker like the original?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 3:14 pm   Permalink

Hi Fugu, the shield is quite beautiful! and using the shell beads was brilliant! great job!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-26 07:55 am   Permalink

Amy- Thanks so much! I love looking through your backyard photos- everything in your yard is amazing.

MadDogMike- Thanks for the compliment. I just made it out of wood...the wicker became too tedious to weave after awhile ) Just kidding, although I did look around at some antique shops hoping to find an old snow shoe or something wicker-like to build the shield on. Then I decided that noone would really notice what the backing was, so I got lazy and got a piece of wood. I think I will edge it with natural fiber or something to make it look like it isn't just a slab of wood.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-26 10:10 am   Permalink

That shield totally looks like the real thing. And I have admired those designs for years now.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-21 06:39 am   Permalink

Hey Fugu,
Love the Fan... How did you go about making the fan part?

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 07:43 am   Permalink

Hey Tahitiki,

The fan part is actually just a woven circular placemat like the one shown below. I saw them on sale for at the World Market and they just reminded me of the woven fans that I had seen in a book. I bought two of the light tan one (the back one in the picture), folded then over so that they would be the appropriate shape, sandwiched a piece of cardboard in for support and glued the thing together. I was going to cut them to the appropriate shape, but they just unravel, so I recommend just folding (or at least folding under the cut edge to avoid unravelling). Then I darkened it up a little with some dilute brown craft paint so that it would look a little older. Super easy to do.

kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 10:26 pm   Permalink

I love the baining mask idea! I had been wanting to make one since I saw this thread way back, so I finally got the papier mache out and went to town. Just finished the painting on the mask. I'll post some pics when I've got a chance. Thanks for the great idea Fugu!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 10:27 pm   Permalink

Here's some shots of the mask I made. Not nearly as detailed as the one you've got, but it got the job done for me. I also left the back part of the mask off, for ease in wall hanging, although I think it looks a lot better with the complete mask. These masks are awesome too, because there are so many different styles and variations to create. Thanks again for the inspiration Fugu!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation