FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Plaster Mold Making & Some Ceramics
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Plaster Mold Making & Some Ceramics
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-18 09:04 am   Permalink

I traveled over 100 miles through the vast desert wasteland to seek ceramic enlightenment. Many of the great mysteries of clay were unveiled to me when I entered into the revered Babalu Tiki Mug Studio & Place of Other Great Unknowns.
Seriously Babalu, thanks for the invite - I really learned a lot and now I have some more ideas rattling around in my mostly empty head.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 1:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-17 14:54, Cammo wrote:
I was thinking - what about a mug making workshop at Oasis this year? We could do every stage from sculpt to mold to pour to fire, once a day, three days in a row. We could take pictures and post daily...

Ha ha! Good one, Cam!

...you're kidding, right?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 1:32 pm   Permalink

...Well here is my ugly version of Bowana's plaster mold !

I just opened it, so i don't know if it works right yet, it's rainny here so i don't know how long I'll have to wait for it to dry enough. Can't wait to try it!
Thanks for this great thread guys!! !

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-24 11:59 pm   Permalink

Clarita, I'm afraid you mold won't qualify as the ugliest because mine has yours beat! I don't follow directions very well and tried to take some shortcuts. As a result my mold broke in 2 places. But I had all the pieces so I just rubber-banded them together and cast some mugs. I had never done anything like this but it was surprizingly easy with Bowana's & Babalu's great directions and pictures. If you have ever wanted to design your own mug, now is the time to jump in and get your hands dirty. I cast a handful of mugs and Babalu has graciously offered to fire them for me.

Here's my pitiful mold:

Clarita, good luck with your molds. I guess it's winter in Argentina, it may take several days for your mold to dry.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 06:37 am   Permalink

You two are so COOL! I've been playing with Mike over here at my studio some...he's hooked. Claria, I am soooo proud of you! You keep charging forward like this kiddo. Good things are going to happen. Good job you two!...CHEERS to you both!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 06:51 am   Permalink

That is pretty cool to see, congrats on your first molds! Babalu, Bowana nice tutorial you have going here. It is nice to see others picking up this art form. Have spoken to two others starting to take their hand at it as well. Just remember not to let any frustrations stop you in your tracks, when you have your first cocktail out of a mug that you made, everything else will not matter.

[ This Message was edited by: OceaOtica 2008-05-25 07:54 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 07:48 am   Permalink

! All right Clarita and Maddog! Don't be too concerned if your mold is ugly. If it's functional it's a good mold.

Clarita, give yours a few days to dry out a bit then give it a try. You can put it near your heater, but don't get it too hot.

Mike, from what I can see, yours just looks like it could have been a bit thicker where it broke.

Thank you both for posting, it makes it all worth it for us.
You know what's next, right? We are expecting to see how your castings come out! Hooray moldmaking!

Bowana

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 10:24 pm   Permalink

Sir B, Check out some of mad dog's first slip cast mugs from his new mold....nice work MD.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 11:10 am   Permalink

Hey MadDogMike, congrats on the ugliest mold !! But the copies look great!
Here are mine after a lot of cleaning!

The thickness is different in both, is that going to be a problem?
and the ring from the bottom didn't turn out very well...
How do you know when they are dry enough for the first fire?
Questions, questions ! it's SO cold here, I'm glad they are drying enough to take them out of the mold!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-29 4:58 pm   Permalink

Thank you BigBopBabaluPop, now I just gotta get up there and glaze them. Clarita, those look great! Yeah, I had to do a lot of cleanup too

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-05-29 17:08 ]

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 6:50 pm   Permalink

How cool is it to make your own mugs for your tiki bar?
Doggie's look no worse than most, and better than many.

Congrats!!! How good will that first drink taste, dude!!!!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:00 pm   Permalink

Clarita, I always let my castings dry for a few weeks, but if the weather is damp wait a little longer. They will feel dry to the touch when ready. Any further insight on that, Sir Babs (or anyone else)? If you've got one casting thicker than the other, it will take a little longer to dry. Other than that it's okay. You must have left the slip in the mold for a longer period of time before pouring it out. The longer it's in, the thicker the casting.

Again, don't be too concerned about making a pretty mold. Concentrate on a functional one first. They will get prettier as you get more experience. Since both of you (Clarita and Mike) were able to get successful castings, you are already ahead of the game.

Your grades:
MadDog A+
Clarita A+

Advance to the front of the class and receive your graduation with honors!

Bowana

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:08 pm   Permalink

Man - this has become one of my favorite threads!

Quote:

On 2008-05-29 21:00, Bowana wrote:
They will feel dry to the touch when ready. Any further insight on that, Sir Babs (or anyone else)?

I've never slip cast clay - but a good rule-of-thumb that I use for my hand-built stuff is that when you hold the piece to your cheek (or the back of your hand) it should not feel cool. Seems to work great for me. Lots of times I think things are dry - but when compared to pieces that have had a day or two longer on the drying shelf they will be noticeably cool while the older greenware is room temp. Hope that helps - and the mugs look great!

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:23 pm   Permalink

YAY!!! Thump, thump, thump (as Mr. Jones would say) Way to go Ms. Clarita!

I agree with Sir B, You two should move to the front of the class with top honors!

Ms. C...I see from your post that you 2 castings are of different thicknesses....that's ok, your just experimenting with the amount of time you want to leave the clay slip in the mold before you pour it out...Obviously, the longer you leave the slip in the mold the thicker the walls of the mug will be...thing is, each mugs walls will be the same thickness all over, so you can just leave it to dry out right after you have cleaned them up. If you don't have time to clen them right after you have pulled them out of the mold, put them in a plastic bag to stay moist until you are ready to clean them.

A good general way to tell when they are dry enough to fire is to touch the mug to your cheek (the face one)...if it feels real close to the room temperature, she's ready to fire.

Be careful, clay, when in it's bone dried greenware stage, is very fragile and can break easy...if your in a real humid area, I might do a slower bisque...candle the firing for just a bit longer.

PS..Oops..Henrik jumped in as I was writing and posting the above...

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2008-05-29 21:25 ]

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 09:53 am   Permalink

Oh ok so I apply it to my cheek(Butt?), and it doesn't have to feel cold, I get it !
This part is going to take for ever here I guess...
Please take pics of the glassing part!
thanks again guys!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation