FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts New work posted! Inexplicable business card holders! Tiki Bob keychains! More Islander! Pg. 15!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
New work posted! Inexplicable business card holders! Tiki Bob keychains! More Islander! Pg. 15!
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-02 08:32 am   Permalink

Hi Eric,
Your costumes were awesome!
You guys were the talk of the party... everyone loved them.
It was funny how "Lono" kept hitting the top of his head.
You got mad skills son.
Especially the ability to drink a beer in that thing

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 11:49 am   Permalink

You kids are Hilarious!
You make cool stuff!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-02 8:57 pm   Permalink

Dude! My friend was there and she saw you guys!!

Those are the best danged Tiki costumes ever!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 9:42 pm   Permalink

You two ROCK the house! :-)

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 06:54 am   Permalink

LOVE the costumes!!!!!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 1:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha Eric!!

You and Manuel looked fabulous on Halloween!! Your costumes are amazing!! You are such a creative and (super!) nice guy. It was really fun to see you. I hope that we can meet up again soon!

xo
Gem

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 2:08 pm   Permalink

I think we should have a tiki costume party. Uhm,....I know, I know.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-04 12:16 am   Permalink

Tobunga - You are a magical tiki elf sent to bedazzle us puny humans with your clever supernatural artist abilities and charms. I, for one, am completely under your tiki voodoo spell.

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-04 12:43 pm   Permalink

dude, ur out of control!!!!!

those tiki costumes r the best i have seen!!!

alohas, t

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-05 10:11 pm   Permalink

Here's a shot my friend Denise got of y'all!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 12:22 am   Permalink

Eric,man! amazing costumes dude! agreed with the toe, best tiki costumes I've ever seen

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-18 7:13 pm   Permalink

Hey everybody! Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to your comments... I've been busy working on a bunch of non-tiki stuff for a couple of upcoming shows.

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic reaction to our tiki costumes!

4WDtiki: Thanks, I didn't notice, but I guess the costumes do resemble my tiki paintings! I wasn't going for that specifically, but I guess it can't be helped!

OceaOtica: Glad you liked the Tonga Hut pis, too!

Murph: Had a great time on (post-)Halloween, although Manuel's headdress kept crashing into branches and hanging parrots!

Bowana: Thanks for the pic! We've never managed to get a shot of any of our costumes out on the boulevard in West Hollywood on Halloween... we usually have no where to carry a camera!

hiltiki: Great Idea! We should have a tiki costume party! I know what I'm wearin'!

SparkleGem: Great hanging out and talking on Halloween! Loved hearing your tiki and Witco stories!

Brad
Kinny
Babalu
Robb
BigToe
tikithomas
Bowana
OceaOtica
4WDtiki...

Thanks for your kind words! Your great work inspires me and keeps fueling my tiki passion!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-26 10:01 pm   Permalink

Here's some stuff I'm madly trying to complete before the Tonga Hut show on the 6th:

This is a little box that I painted with tapa cloth designs. I made three little lino-cut prints of tiki faces to go in the window. (I couldn't decide which one of the three to make, so I made them all)

This is a set of buttons based on the March Of The Tiki Gods painting I did.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post mre stuff soon!

Thanks fer lookin'!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 1:40 pm   Permalink

So I've finally had a chance to post what I've been doing for the past month... and what a crazy way to send out 2008!

Grog graciously included me in the Tiki Wonderland III art show at Tong Hut on December 6th, and I was in a mad rush to get work completed for it.

Some of the new stuff that debut there was a couple of lino-cut prints.

The first was this two-color Tangaroa print. (4" x 6")

The second print was sort of a modular two-color piece. (5" x 7")

I made five different 2" x 2" blocks. Two Tangaroa faces which I printed in black(mostly), and three tapa pattern blocks that I printed in red (mostly). On each print, I changed the position of the blocks, so each print is unique.

I also made more mini tiki mask plaques.

Each mask is about 5" in diameter and is based on PNG imagery.

Also debuting at Tonga Hut were these Tiny Tiki Framed Figures.

Each figure is about 2", and is made from sculpey and painted with acrylic. Figures come in 4" x 5.5" frames, backed with vintage tiki shirt material. Each one is one-of-kind, as the sculpt, painting, and fabric are different for each piece.

Also making a appearance that night was the prototype for a new plush tiki doll, Li'l Lono.

The doll is about 16" high, made of corduroy for a woody look, with a hand-stitched detail. This one went to Kinny, as his comment that he wanted to see a tiki doll with a big headdress finally prompted me to complete this doll, since it was kicking around in my head for a while.
When I gear up to make more (later today, in fact) the design for the headdress will probably change somewhat.

So then, the following week on Friday the 12th, the 'Tis The Season To Be Tiki show opened. I helped contact the artists and I also created the post card for the show.

So that had me busy collecting artwork and delivering it to the gallery, in addition to working on some new stuff.

The next day we went down to San Diego to host a tiki drink night at Manuel's folks' house. They have a bar in their den, and we transformed it into a tiki bar for the night.

We brought some of our tiki stuff to dress up their bar, including the foamcore
a-frame for the tiki art display table I made for selling my tiki wares. However, we didn't have any actual tikis of any substantial size.

So, I busted out the foamcore and created two tiki relief figures. I wrapped some board in burlap for the background and floated the figures on top. They came out pretty good for an afternoon's work!

I also finished another project I had started a while ago. I found two round glass bowls at the 99 Cent Store, and the moment I saw them, I thought FISHFLOATS! I got some info from a thread here on TC about net-weaving, and cobbled together a couple of floats... such as they are. We decorated the bar with these too.

Then, back to LA to finish up my submissions for Cammo's First Ever Worldwide Online Tiki Art Show on Monday, December 15th.

I made two more sets of Tiny Tiki Framed Figures.

I also made a tiki ornament.(5" x 5")

It's called Have Yourself A Moai Little Christmas.
The wooden snowflake's pattern is designed after Rapa Nui Birdman petroglyphs. A sculpey Moai sits in the middle, with a banner below that says "Have Yourself a Moai Little Christmas".

Then I had a little bit of a breather to get my Christmas projects in order.

Every Christmas, I seem to have stumbled into this tradition of making ornaments of us for our families. This year, I took inspiration from our Halloween tiki costumes.

The ornament is about 6" high (without hanging wire) and features a photo of us in our tiki costumes. The top half of the ornament spins around to reveal our faces out of our tiki masks.

Like all good tikiphiles, we love our rum! We've been experimenting with creating tiki drinks and when we have a new one, we have a "tiki dinner", usually something Asian, like a stir fry or miso with udon noodles, along with our new creation.

We call it "Going to Changitos", which is the name of our home tiki bar (which in actuality is two shelves: one for our rum and other booze and the other for our tiki mugs).

So to make Changitos more official, I made a 11" x 14" sign, based on a logo concept I created and gave it to Manuel for Christmas.

The idea for the logo is a tiki/monkey figure. The design is such that it is one tiki, but divided down the middle, the two halves become two monkey/tikis face to face. ("Changitos" means little monkeys in Spanish, hence the monkey theme).

One of the drink ideas we are developing is the use of a home-made hibiscus syrup for flavor. We bottled some syrup in little jars and gave them to family for Christmas. I designed a label to go on the jars. It was fun designing it!

Another Christmas tradition I've developed is making ornamets of us for Manuel. They are usually based on our Halloween costumes of that year.
So this year, I made ornaments based on our Halloween tiki costumes.

The ornaments are made from oamcore with burlap skirts. Our heads are made from sculpey. The figures are about 5" and 6" high. Manuel loved them!

And the last bit of art I did in 2008 was these two New Year's Eve Tiki Hats!

We had a couple of hats from last year, and we wanted to wear them this year, but they weren't tiki at all! So the afternoon of the 31st, I whipped out my trusty x-acto knife and cut up some gold cardstock into some tiki figures to adorn our hats. I also made some tapa pattern to go on the gold band around the hat.

Right now, I've got a bunch of new projects percolating in my brain, and I'm trying to figure out which to tackle first! So here's to an art-fueled 2009!

Mahalo fer lookin'!
Mahalo everyone for all you support and inspiration!
Happy 2009!

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2009-01-03 13:44 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 2:30 pm   Permalink

Wow, a whole bunch of cool art and ideas mate, nice work

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation