FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts New work posted! Inexplicable business card holders! Tiki Bob keychains! More Islander! Pg. 15!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
New work posted! Inexplicable business card holders! Tiki Bob keychains! More Islander! Pg. 15!
ivanchan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 8:39 pm   Permalink

Hey Eric,

Popped in to check out your new work and love it! I love that twist with Ebira and Ebria--that was a found treasure (and the painting is fun, too!).

I've got to check out that movie with Tobunga/From Hell It Came (I think I'm getting the title wrong, I'll check it out in the thread after posting). I'm a fan of B movies (okay, I suppose that's redundant on this forum) and I think we have similar tastes from what you've liked in my artwork.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from you!

Oh, who are the people in the photograph?

Take care,

I.

Ivan Chan Studio: Invite Beauty
http://ivanchan.com

View Profile of ivanchan Send a personal message to ivanchan  Goto the website of ivanchan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 9:34 pm   Permalink

Cool stuff with a definite style, tobunga...

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 3:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments, Sam and Ivan!

Here's photos of a new series I'm starting called "In A Tiki World", the idea being to re-imagine famous buildings from around the world as if they had been created during the golden era of tiki culture. I chose a color pallet and style that hopefully reflects graphics of Tiki Menus from that time period.

Each painting is 11x 14" acrylic on canvas.

In A Tiki World: Eiffel Tiki and Arc De Tiki

In A Tiki World: Transtiki Pyramid and Golden Gate Tiki

In A Tiki World: Leaning Tower Of Tiki

I have six more images for the series, I'll post them as completed. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks fer lookin!

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2008-05-17 15:41 ]

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 5:30 pm   Permalink

I really like them

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 06:10 am   Permalink

Wow, great work. Another artist with a unique and dynamic style. Is Tiki Central always like this?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHEN IS SOMEONE GONNA WISE UP AND DO A BOOK? WHEN IS JUXTAPOSE GONNA SWOOP IN AND DO AN ARTICLE ON THIS GROUP OF RADICLE MISFIT REVOLUTIONARIES?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-18 10:26 am   Permalink

That is a neat concept of the tiki carving himself...BRILLIANT!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 11:13 am   Permalink

Very nice work. I like the trans world and Golden Gate piece the most... the structures shown in 3/4 view like that add dimensionality (is that a word) to the work.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 4:33 pm   Permalink

Wow Eric! You're soooo creative - what an incredible idea! They look really great! Can't wait to see the rest of the series, they'd make a great postcard or notecard set.

Mieko

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 11:44 pm   Permalink

Way to go Tobunga!
Nice palette and whimsical feel to these drawings...
Reminds me of the children's books i grew up with!
Great concept for a series!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 11:08 am   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback on the new series!
Hey Ken, hopefully your comments means I'm hitting the era for which I was aiming!
Here are the latest additions to the In A Tiki World series:

Each painting is 11x 14" acrylic on canvas.

In A Tiki World: Big Tiki Clock Tower

This was the idea that started the whole series. I wondered how Big Ben would look as a tiki, so I drew it. And once those flood gates open, my brain usually goes into overdrive...

In A Tiki World: Tiki Mahal

(or maybe I should call it Taj Mahalo!)

In A Tiki World: The Great Tiki and Pyramid of Tiki

I know these are not the best pix in the world, but I will have super high quality photos soon, and I can start to make giclee prints!

Thanks fer lookin!
Eric

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 1:25 pm   Permalink

Here's the latest additions to the In A Tiki World series. Each is 11x14, acrylic on canvas.

In A Tiki World: Chrystiki Building

I went through several different versions of this one before I got an image that I liked, and that hopefully kept the unique elements of the building while transforming it into tiki.

In A Tiki World: The Great Wall Of Tiki

In A Tiki World: Tiki Opera House

I have several other images in mind, but other projects are beckoning, or rather pounding furiously in my brain to be released, so I'll need to turn my focus else where... but I shall return... I want to have buildings or monuments from all seven continents, and I still haven't tackled South America yet, although I do have an idea of what I want to do.

Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-16 1:07 pm   Permalink

Mr. October/Tobunga ~ Very fun and rather funny stuff. Bitching idea. I dig the retro-children's book look. I think "Transtiki Pyramid and Golden Gate Tiki" is the best of the bunch. Sneakytiki is right about the 3/4 view bringing out a cool dimensionalizationmationisticness to the art.

Like Robb Hamel, I'm also amazed at the level of creativity we got going here on TC. I tell ya, the "other crafts" area should be re-named the "Art-brain-storm" area. Really, I cannot think of another place on the net where I can paroose through so much art, that's so different, yet all so interesting and good. LLT said he thought there was a Renaissance going on TC right now, and I gotta agree.
Also, I'm jealous that Tobunga has the last name I always wanted. I think you'll have to like adopt me (can you adopt old cranky people?) so I can have that cool last name.
Also, while I'm on my rambling cranky old artist rant, why the heck is the sun light so bright this morning? And who the heck is ringing that bell I keep hearing? And why is that bottle of Captain Morgan's coconut flavored rum I hid in my file cabinet empty? Oh wait a minute... It's Monday morning isn't it. Okay, that explains alot.

www.tikishark.com
www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-06-16 13:13 ]

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 2:03 pm   Permalink

I'm digging the 'In a Tiki World' series. Been trying to think of landmarks in South America and all I can think of is the Christ on the mountain in Rio. Looking forward to seeing some more.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 2:24 pm   Permalink

I like the tikis in the world series .... a lot!!!
OK; three ideas for ya!
Manns Chinese Theater in Hollywood
Mount Rushmore
The Vegas Strip!

Have fun

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 12:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback!

Sure, I'll adopt you Brad... then shortly afterward, I dunno, a huge 1,000 pound tiki totem will "mysteriously" fall on you and crush you to goo, and the Tiki-Shark fortune will be mine! HA-HA-HA-HA!!! Er, I mean... boo-hoo-hoo, that makes me sad!

Blindy - That was my thought for South America too... I did a drawing of the Rio Jesus (I think it's called Christ the Redeemer) but I'm not happy with it yet... I'll need to do some revisions before it's ready to paint.

jpmartdog - Thanks for the suggestions! Mount Rushmore would be cool... with maybe a Ku, Lono, Moai and Tangaroa. The Chinese theater might not work, since it's already ersatz Chinese, piling on Pop-Polynesia might be a catastrophe! Or maybe it would make perfect sense...
I could do the old 70's Vegas strip, with the Stardust and everything... that would be interesting.

I've got St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow and the Parthenon in the works... debating whether or not the pediment of the Parthenon should have an A-Frame...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation